What do you do while working out?

Options
I am curious what you enjoy doing while working out?

While at the gym I see people reading their Kindles, watching movies, listen to music .... so what helps you stay moving?

Personally I have been listening to Audio Books ... I am able to loose myself in the book and I don't pay as much attention to how long I am working out and I stay moving longer.

Replies

• sz8soon
    sz8soon Posts: 816 Member
    Options
    Only music.
  • trudijoy
    trudijoy Posts: 1,685 Member
    Options
    music and i always have my phone with me but rarely use it.
  • jerknoir
    jerknoir Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    Recently I've had to switch to low-intensity cardio because of an injury, so I take my laptop down to the gym, get on the stationary bike put on X-Files and before I know it it's been an hour.
  • pocrescophobia
    pocrescophobia Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    music or kindle, music keeps me going because i don't like stopping mid-way through a song, and a book on my kindle, because i don't like stopping until the end of a chapter! (good if you have extra long chapters)
  • oneworkoutatatime
    Options
    Only music.

and people watching
  • trudijoy
    trudijoy Posts: 1,685 Member
    Options
    Recently I've had to switch to low-intensity cardio because of an injury, so I take my laptop down to the gym, get on the stationary bike put on X-Files and before I know it it's been an hour.

yup if i work out at home i usually throw something good on tv and hit the stationary bike hard. it's great, you actually get a good workout and concentrate on the show!
  • NatWillBeSkinny
    NatWillBeSkinny Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    music for me too even if its jus cleaning up
  • Hbazzell
    Hbazzell Posts: 899 Member
    Options
    I have been known to play PS3 while on my elliptical at home.
  • ashleen7
    ashleen7 Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    Usually just music, but if I'm forced to run on the treadmill due to weather etc I like to have an audiobook or a movie so I don't feel the time passing as slowly because I hate the treadmill!
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    lifting days i'm lifting. you can't not focus or zone out when you're lifting heavy weights

on most cardio days i'm too busy working out to pay attention to anything else besides my music.

when i'm doing more moderate cardio i watch something on netflix. i also do the same for my longer stretch sessions
  • Weights listening go music and people watching
    Cardio read a book. If I don't read I don't work as hard or as long. If I'm not reading I spend the whole time looking at the clock every 20 secs
  • Yogi_Carl
    Yogi_Carl Posts: 1,906 Member
    Options
    When I do my progressive callisthenics, yoga and kettlebell sessions (not all at the same time) I am so focussed I can't afford distractions and why would I want them anyway - I love my sessions so I want to wring them dry!

When I speed walk to and from work I listen to MP3 player and when I swim - well, I can't! But in the warmer days my swimming takes me outside to lakes, sea and rivers so again I am absorbed into where I am and what I am doing.

If I hated an exercise so much I needed to read a Kindle while doing it - I'd quit the exercise and find something else - life's too short!
  • LeonnieH
    LeonnieH Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    When doing strength training and pilates I don't listen to anything, just try to focus and concentrate on what I'm doing. Cardio which usually is a run outdoors or on the treadmill then I listen to music and currently listening to the Zombies Run! app which is a storyline/running game interspersed with the music on my phone.
  • Bobanji
    Bobanji Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    I initially hated cardio and had almost no motivation for working out. Now I download episodes of The Biggest Loser and I play them while I'm on the elliptical. I am being motivated by their hard work (if they can do it I can do it) and time flies by while watching an episode or two. I love to dance so I can't really play my music on the elliptical. Almost fell off one time swaying to the music. :tongue:
  • cbarn025
    cbarn025 Posts: 939 Member
    Options
    When I'm at CrossFit they have music playing throughout the gym and I just zone out. But If I'm working out at a more traditional gym I'll have my ipod. If i'm on the treadmill or elliptical I'll find a Ray Lewis inspirtational speech on youtube and watch that.
  • beachlover317
    beachlover317 Posts: 2,848 Member
    Options
    sweat.
  • ukgirly01
    ukgirly01 Posts: 523 Member
    Options
    Reading while working out is ridiculous IMO if you're working hard enough you can't read. I don't do anything while I'm working out other than push push push.
  • sltpsu15
    sltpsu15 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    When I am on equipment at the gym usually either watch the news/listen to music or a book.
  • Hbazzell
    Hbazzell Posts: 899 Member
    Options
    I initially hated cardio and had almost no motivation for working out. Now I download episodes of The Biggest Loser and I play them while I'm on the elliptical. I am being motivated by their hard work (if they can do it I can do it) and time flies by while watching an episode or two. I love to dance so I can't really play my music on the elliptical. Almost fell off one time swaying to the music. :tongue:

I love this idea Angie!
  • darrensurrey
    darrensurrey Posts: 3,942 Member
    Options
    Personally I have been listening to Audio Books ... I am able to loose myself in the book and I don't pay as much attention to how long I am working out and I stay moving longer.

Audio books here, too. Can't stand cardio without my brain doing something actually useful.