What do you do while working out?

Options

Replies

• nexangelus
    nexangelus Posts: 2,080 Member
    Options
    When I run and do weights it is music....swimming, well just have to get on with that one regardless...cycling outdoors, have to be focussed so same there...boxing is too active to have any devices involved other than me, gloves, wraps and my sparring partner...fartleks are usually too intense to be using an MP3, so that gets pocketed then, or bagged...

p.s. most of my "workouts" are done outdoors, apart from swimming, boxing and lifting weights.
  • trelm249
    trelm249 Posts: 777 Member
    Options
    Cardio - listen to music, breathe heavy, sweat a lot
    Lifting - breathe heavy, sweat a lot, towel off between sets.
  • DawnieB1977
    DawnieB1977 Posts: 4,248 Member
    Options
    I listen to music, and change the tracks to something really upbeat if I'm running. I can't workout without music!

Sometimes I do a 5-10 minute cooldown on the bike at the end and i'll send a couple of texts.
  • alisiaendris
    alisiaendris Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    Depending on the workout I am doing...

When on the eliptical I watch a movie, or listen to music.
    When on the stationary bike I usually use the laptop.
    When I walk, I do it with a friend, or go outside.
    Otherwise I workout with my Wii Fit and that keeps me entertained.

:)
  • blues4miles
    blues4miles Posts: 1,481 Member
    Options
    When I'm walking I listen to radio 4 podcasts as I'm basically a boring old git!

I'm in the US, but this actually, when I'm running. I make a playlist that starts and ends with some good music and sandwich an interesting podcast in the middle. Really enjoy learning about whatever historical or sociological thing they are talking about that day. It's like my little mental treat for myself while I'm out pounding the pavement.
  • binknbaby
    binknbaby Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    For the elliptical and yoga, I watch TV. Sometimes I'll take a walk around my work on my break (though I don't consider that "working out", as much as "staying sane and keeping my butt/hips/legs from being sore from sitting at a desk"), and I'll read my kindle as I walk (carefully!). Other times I take a long walk to the park with the kids, but I'm just talking and playing with my kids for that. And when I go on WiiFit, obviously I'm just doing that.

When I had a gym membership, I'd take a book on the treadmill or elliptical (was before I had a kindle, lol), or watch the TV they had on. It really made the time go by quicker.
  • busterlou45
    Options
    On my recumbent bike at home, I use words with friends on my iPad to distract me. I put it on the shelf in front of my bike readout and I can ride all day. I do a half hour and it feels like five minutes.
  • tracymckibben
    tracymckibben Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    The past couple of weeks I've been re-watching The Walking Dead from the beginning while walking on the treadmill. After that, I'm switching to The X-Files.
  • CH0DE_LICK
    Options
    Usually just zone out until I'm done.
  • wendybird5
    wendybird5 Posts: 577 Member
    Options
    I mostly listen to music, but since I got rid of my cable service, I now spend Thursday nights at the gym watching my TV shows on the treadmill that I can't watch online.
  • SherryTeach
    SherryTeach Posts: 2,836 Member
    Options
    I almost always read on my Kindle while I'm on my treadmill. With a real book, I have to pull it out of the holder to turn the pages and make sure I have enough light on the page, but it's easier with Kindle to click to the next page and my case has a light. I talk about books to middle schoolers every day, so I have to stay current on middle grade and YA lit. My goal is 150 books this year. Doing some of that while walking takes care of two goals.
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    Options
    MUSIC Thumping hard with a no play attitude. Much like this guy...

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=4670334070420&set=vb.381641995257474&type=2&theater

Can we post a workable link here or no?
  • brower47
    brower47 Posts: 16,356 Member
    Options
    When walking: talk through dialogue I need to write.

When running: breathing to the beat of the song I'm listening to... I don't know why I do it, it isn't even conscious.

Kettle Bells: music or TV in the background but it could be dead silent because I'm so focused on the hundred tiny little things you're supposed to do that I zone out on the exercise completely.

P90X: Mute Tony and listen to my own stuff

Hiking: Nothing, just love to hear the breeze through the pine trees.
  • janeite1990
    janeite1990 Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    iPod if I'm running; tv in the home gym; if I'm doing videos, well, there aren't many options there.
  • robindina
    robindina Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    when I'm at the apt gym...I put on Usa network, normally there is NCIS going or Law and Order Svu :smile:

If outdoors I listen to music.
  • ladyrider55
    ladyrider55 Posts: 316 Member
    Options
    Home Gym in the Winter:

Spinning & ABdoerII I watch DVD Concerts.
    Wii I have music playing to get extra moves in doing the Tennis, Bowling, etc.

Outside Activity in the Sprinp/Summer:

Speed Walking & Jogging I have my MP3 player w/me
  • Athena53
    Athena53 Posts: 717 Member
    Options
    Mostly podcasts. I LOVE podcasts. Every day I watch the news in French and German, then follow up with some others such as NPR's "Stuff You Should Know". I also have a great playlist of workout music- everything from classic rock to the warp-speed Toccata from Widor's Symphony #4 and the Trans-Siberian Orchestra's "Wizards in Winter".
  • iorahkwano
    iorahkwano Posts: 709 Member
    Options
    On a treadmill - tv (I tend to watch Top Chef, Four Weddings, Millionaire Matchmaker, Project Runway, ANTP, all the old Bravo shows. I don't like the new shows).

On a stationary bike - tv or iPhone to surf the internets

Weight lifting - Nothing. I walk around & swing my arms during my rest. But I do have an app on my phone that keeps track of my sets/reps.

Running outdoors - music

Biking outdoors - music
  • I just listen to music either on my iPod or the TV in the gym when I'm on the elliptical, but when I'm on the bikes you can watch the TV on the little screen, plug in your iPod and play games. And I can still get at it fast too. :)
  • pandagirlshonerd
    pandagirlshonerd Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    Sometimes watch TV, always listen to music. Also fantasize about what my body will look like when I'm done