Tattoos should one or not?

Options
1235»

Replies

• dejastar
    dejastar Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I waited 18 years to get mine and it is on the top of my foot and has meaning for me. I don't care what people think of my tattoo that is on my body. I am going to get another and this tattoo will represent my time right now with my family and everything we are going through and surviving.
  • Laddiegirl
    Laddiegirl Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    Assuming that all tattoos are chosen to be cool and trendy is rather short sighted and simple. Most people I know chose their tattoos for a specific meaning. Mine are both symbols that represent loved ones that passed on, one for my mother who I lost when I was 18 and one for my late-fiance who died nearly 6 years ago. I like having a physical representation of those two spirits with me wherever I go. Both were carefully chosen and on my foot/ankle, a place which I usually have covered so most people don't even know I have them.

The placement of the one on the top of my foot for my late fiance has extra special meaning because of a conversation we had shortly after he was diagnosed with leukemia. Right after the doctor left the room he asked if I was going to walk away because it was too much to deal with and told him that my feet were planted firmly at his side and whatever he was going to go through, I would be right beside him. I could think of no better place for that tattoo than on the top of my foot. More than once a random person has seen that tattoo and asked me the story and are tearing up by the time I'm done. Both of my tattoos are beautiful with special meaning to me.

You really shouldn't assume that everyone simply wants to be cool and trendy, especially since tattooing goes back thousands of years and in some cultures tattoos were a rite of passage into adulthood.
  • _Libitina_
    Options
    I've always been slightly heavy in certain areas and it took me quite a long time to decide on a tattoo and where to place it. After consideration, I got a medium size one between my shoulder blades and one on my outer foot. two places that I won't gain or loose too much weight in. I was concerned with skin stretching and the image when I am older. I don't regret any tattoos and I look forward to the next ones. Planning ahead is something everyone should consider when getting a tattoo.

My tattoos are a mirror of my heart. The one on my back represents my love life. My ups and downs, the difficulties i've went through so far and a reminder to not follow in the same paths. The one on my food is a tribute to my grandfather that passed away 10 years ago. tattoos should always reflect something from the person wearing them and not "a cool flash art" they got just to be cool.
  • Jennifer1319
    Jennifer1319 Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    I love my ink. Plan on getting more. The last I am going to think about when I am 70 is how I regret getting tattoos, instead I will be thankful for my health and all other blessings in my life.

I love tattoos and love people with ink. Its me and my style! All else is just an opinion and unless its valued I could careless what others think.
  • TheConsciousFoody
    TheConsciousFoody Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    I only get tattoos so people don't sit next to me if I have to take public transportation....totally
  • myers0machine
    Options
    Interesting that this topic is still going and it's lovely to see so many young and old getting there word in but people don't feel like you have to defend your selfs or your choices in life I am one man whom was bored and looking to understand why some and some do not get tattoos and its clear to see now I do not care to be honest either way many friends have and many friends do not i treat them no different just find it amazing has to why some choice to do it and others don't all I say I the matter is if your thinking about getting tattoos like myself first learn to love your skin and then once that is done you may feel no need to as you say ink it just one mans thoughts please take this as gaining information and nothing more or less
  • MorgueBabe
    MorgueBabe Posts: 1,188 Member
    Options
    I only get tattoos so people don't sit next to me if I have to take public transportation....totally
    [/quote

Best answer ever.