What is the biggest unexpected surprise after losing weight?

Options

Replies

• tachyon_master
    tachyon_master Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    I don't want to be a downer, but the biggest surprise for me has been all the negativity.

I am amazed at the amount of comments I get about "being anorexic" or "having an eating disorder" or being told to "go eat a sandwich". It's not that I am anorexic or have an eating disorder at all, I think it's just that the people saying it have a very skewed idea of what's normal or healthy given the way society is heading in general.

Honestly, while I don't need the reinforcement as such (I'm fit and healthy for me, not for anybody else), the attitude I've copped from people has been really disappointing and is making me question everything.
  • AnjiNicole
    AnjiNicole Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Everything makes me smile. I see my shadow and I smile, I fit in to old new clothes and I smile sometimes even laugh and giggle and jump up and down. But the most surprising thing is how my husband has been acting - very much like a kid again. =)
    This quote made me want to jump up and down and giggle! I an seriously going to put it on my fridge for motivation on the tough days.
  • MorbidMander
    MorbidMander Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    I dunno why this is my unexpected one, but it's the first one that popped into my head. My newly discovered hipbones, like.. they are so uncomfortable if I happen to roll over on my side. After years of having a cushion there, it feels super weird to roll over onto bone, and it's kinda uncomfortable. I don't know how long this is going to take to get used to, I was always kinda jealous that other girls could feel/see theirs', now I'm kinda wishing I hadn't, feeling the bone is kinda gross to me, lol. But, oh well, least I'm healthier now!
  • hungrypotato
    hungrypotato Posts: 1,642 Member
    Options
    My ankle bones don't have "cushioning" anymore and they hurt when I do jumping jacks, also I get very cold now.
  • hungrypotato
    hungrypotato Posts: 1,642 Member
    Options
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,340 Member
    Options
    I'm coming back in on this great thread. Yesterday I tried on a couple of necklaces that used to look horrible on me as they were too tight on the neck and I looked as if I was choking! They looked absolutely fine and I will be able to wear them again.:bigsmile:
    I suppose it's not unexpected exactly, but today I went for a BP check and it was way down! :flowerforyou: I think I will be able to halve my medication.
    Yesterday I ran to the postbox because it was raining and was not out of breath. I couldn't do that 25 years ago! !!!! :laugh:
  • whitterbugkru
    Options
    When I had lost 20 lbs a year ago (gained it and 25+ since) my snoring had gone away. I am hoping to get there again someday, if not for my sake, my boyfriends!
  • amyaroja
    amyaroja Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    bump. Keep 'em coming!
  • hot2def
    hot2def Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    bump
  • turkeyhunter60
    turkeyhunter60 Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    Looking older, and having a roll of loose skin around my waist
  • salcha76
    salcha76 Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    The horrible flabby loose skin on my tummy. :-( I've lost about 35lb since July last year, and while I love how I look now (although I'm not done yet!), if I lie on my side or lean forward, I have this horrible wrinkly squelchy stuff. Euuch.

On the bright side, I'd forgotten how much I love my collarbones! :-)

.....i need a $25k surgery for my saggy skin :sad: sucks.....bra size went from a 54H to a 36DD.....that's another surgery....$10k....but yes....my collarbones finally showed up & they are lovely...odd...I never knew they were missing!
  • greenmonstergirl
    greenmonstergirl Posts: 619 Member
    Options
    Since 2009, I've lost 80 lbs, but I've just recently started to notice certain changes, since I'm pretty much the smallest I've ever been. One that I noticed over the last couple of days (and I was actually thinking about it this morning) is that I actually feel my height now. I'm fairly short at 5'4", but I've never felt short. I guess my extra girth made me feel like I had increased stature, but I work with a bunch of guys who are 6'+ and we do a lot of heavy lifting. It's really put in perspective for me just how small I am. And the more weight I lose, the smaller I feel. I feel like Alice drinking the shrinking potion sometimes. Lol

I agree with you, I'm 5'1" and the smaller in girth I get, the smaller in height I feel as well. It's crazy!
  • greenmonstergirl
    greenmonstergirl Posts: 619 Member
    Options
    It's a nice problem to have but I have just as hard a time finding shirts that fit properly these days as I did when I was pushing 300 lbs. Now that I have gone from XXL to M and have been building a lot of upper body muscle, medium shirts fit nicely everywhere but the upper arms and chest. They're too tight in the biceps, chest and shoulders but fit perfectly in the waist and lower chest and the length is perfect. If I go to a large, I swim in it.

I'm glad to have that problem, though. :)

keep wearing the mediums...just saying ;)
  • SarahSmilesCA
    SarahSmilesCA Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    The negative? I see the skin on the upper part of my thighs and lower part of my arms sag a bit...it is not pretty and discouraging since I work them out manically. Also I am pear shape and the round part of the pear seems to take for ever to get inches off, though the rest of me is peeling off the fat...

However...everything else I love. I love that I don't have cravings for junk. I love that when I work out I have a mental capacity to stay within my calorie goals. I love that I can eat a goodie now and then and NOT feel like I am sabotaging my results. I love that I am in control of my choices, both at the gym and what I put in my mouth. I feel SO good. I have energy...

Best of all? I feel pretty for the first time in a long time and I have handsome men smile at me at wink...

I am SO ok with that ;)
  • dunnodunno
    dunnodunno Posts: 2,290 Member
    Options
    Bump!
  • Myxalplyx
    Myxalplyx Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    The compliments actually surprise me but it feels good.
  • mrshoneydew
    mrshoneydew Posts: 253
    Options
    My bones are pokey! I'm not super skinny, but I am the smallest I've ever been as an adult or teenager even! So feeling my hip bones when I lay on my side, or having to adjust the straps on my backpack because my collarbones and shoulder bones poke out is REALLY weird for me! It even alarms my husband sometimes because I'm not as "soft" anymore.

It's also weird going to stores and having a hard time shopping. Before I lost weight, everything was too small. Now, everything's too big and my size is always sold out. O_O
  • JacksMachine
    JacksMachine Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    Literally having to buy new everything.....yeah...even underwear
  • Diannelise
    Diannelise Posts: 16
    Options
    Most surprised by how much exercise has become my addiction! I truly cannot function without the stress release and feel good mood I get from it! I find ways to get it in everyday, and hit the gym 6 days a week. I love all the classes, have discovered how to make running on a treadmill fun (HIIT and awesome tunes), and my passion is lifting. I even love wearing cute new workout outfits. I've also made so many wonderful friends at my gym, even gotten a few guys comment how they think a girl who deadlifts is hot!
  • kfheston78
    kfheston78 Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    Please don't ever diminish the fact that you have lost 40 lbs.!! That is an AMAZING amount of weight! My bf has lost that much, and is at a plateau. I'm so stinking proud of her, but she is so discouraged. Be PROUD of that 40 lbs., you earned it!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!