Do you treat yourself after weightloss?

Options
124»

Replies

• rotill
    rotill Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    Food treats are normally things I need to survive, not a reward. I mean: I tend to participate in work-related dinners and events, where I don't control the menu. It's normally really good, so it's not a chore, but it tends to go beyond the plan.

Due to this, I don't really think of eating something special as a reward, I think of it as work.

For a real treat for being good, though, I buy a book. Or if I need comfort. Or if I am bored. In general: Any excuse to buy a book.
  • MightyDomo
    MightyDomo Posts: 1,265 Member
    Options
    A treat in here and there. Why should I have to give up all the good stuff if I can easily work for it :) Though when I hit my goal I am having a celebratory Thai Express Beef Fried Rice with Spicy sauce, it will be glorious.
  • SquidVonBob
    SquidVonBob Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    I reward myself with non-food items. That new video game I wanted, sure! Those art supplies I don't REALLY need but they looks so cool, yep! Stuff like that is a reward that doesn't screw up my diet. But as long as it doesn't become a habit there's nothing wrong with treating yourself to ice cream or the like after a good week. Just don't undo the week.
  • RoadsterGirlie
    RoadsterGirlie Posts: 1,195 Member
    Options
    I never reward myself with food. I am not a dog.

However, I do reward myself with clothes, body and bath gel, hand bags, you name it. I'm a girl, and I love to shop.
  • CarleyJS2
    CarleyJS2 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I appreciate everyone's comments. I think rewards are good but people have a good point about the food rewards. I have thought of this often and for some people, they can pull off food rewards and still progress. I have one friend that swears that junk cannot be given up. I say it depends on the person and what they are willing to do. For me, I have a very hard time stopping at one brownie. I hope the time comes that I don't feel that tractor beam pull to junk food and truly enjoy it. I believe that "in the beginning" there wasn't twinkies and Hershey's so it is possible to learn to curb it.

I want to lean more toward the non-food rewards, like every 10 lbs until I hit every 50 lb. weight loss. I just don't know what all I want to do for that. It will be clothing type things or gadgets otherwise this can go out of control too. Daily high-fives and verbal rewards, and just plain keeping an accomplishment/gratitude journal will help me be motivated.

But for food, I've become too dependant on it to keep in my life as a reward. It need not be so important or I think I will not break the cycle.
  • BigAndyT
    BigAndyT Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    Rewarding youself with food doesnt make you a dog! im amazed at how many people are saying that, if it helps keep u off the bad foods for a while then i really dont see the problem. Like i said if i go cold turkey on my fave foods ill break.