I feel like a new person (pictures included)

Options
Hi all,

I joined MFP last month in hopes of staying on track while I reach my home stretch. I had been overweight all throughout my childhood and had low self-esteem (even though I didn't want to accept it). My weight steadily increased and in '09, during my first year of college, I hit my heaviest point of 202 pounds with no sign of stopping. A few of the factors that contributed to my weight gain over the years stemmed from stress, bad eating habits I developed as a child, little to no physical activity, and losing my brother when I was 15. It's safe to say that I was an emotional eater with absolutely no motivation for self-improvement.

I'm not exactly sure what triggered my willpower--whether it was the fact that I was almost a size 18 in jeans or that I realized I was getting sick of my reflection--but I embarked on a journey that I have been on for over 3 years. After joining this site, I have learned so much about leading a healthier lifestyle and not thinking of weight loss as following a "diet", which I had been so guilty of doing in the past. As soon as I'd reach a goal I felt the need to reward myself and then I would fall back into bad habits. I now understand that I don't need to deprive myself of good food, but rather just mind my portions and maintain a healthy balance.

Before joining, I had taken an obsession with the number on the scale and never paid attention to how I actually looked and how my clothes fit. My body fat was well over 30% and as of today is down to 21%. I still have a little ways to go but I'm extremely happy with my progress.

Here is a before and after (even though I'm not there yet!) Sorry for the lack of full-body before pictures. Goes to show how much I disliked having pictures taken of me!

Height: 5'5"
SW: 202 lbs
BF%: >30%
wr12yr.jpg
2ynfjw2.jpg
2mmbasw.jpg

CW: 144
BF%: 21%
GW: 135-138 or 18-19%

vf4tz.jpg
wh8o8.jpg
oaz02g.jpg (taken on my macbook- couldn't fit my head in the picture!)
huertk.jpg

I know that I do not know any of you, but I am so thankful for all that have taken the time to post insightful information and supportive words to complete strangers. To whoever is just starting, just know that everything takes time and dedication. Diets are temporary. What's important is establishing healthier eating habits and becoming more active. You will see greater results if you look at the bigger picture :)

Replies

• maryannelk
    maryannelk Posts: 707 Member
    Options
    Great job! I especially appreciate your insight regarding emotional eating! You look happy, healthy and strong!! Congrats!
  • Decemom
    Decemom Posts: 10
    Options
    Excellent point about the diets. It is a lifestyle change. You are doing a great job!
  • Mommy4812
    Mommy4812 Posts: 649 Member
    Options
    Wow you have done amazing! You're an inspiration! I started at 217 and am now 198. My goal weight is 130lbs.
  • tempest501
    tempest501 Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    Outstanding, this transformation made my jaw drop you feel like a new person because you are a new person. An inspiration for everyone. I love post like this, thank you so much for sharing.
  • natalienora
    natalienora Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    Thank you all so much! I had been hesitant to post under "Success Stories" because I felt I hadn't reached my goal...but then I realized how much I had actually accomplished over the years. It's good to put the overall progress into perspective once in a while.

Please feel free to add me as a friend! It's always easier to focus on your goals when you have a little support :)
  • pariskathryn
    pariskathryn Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    I'm exactly where you started, basically-- this is just what I needed to see to make me wanna get up and kick some butt at the gym. Your after pictures are stunning. Congratulations on all your hard work.
  • emzypemzy93
    Options
    Woooww!! You look incredible!!! Insane!! What an inspiration!!
  • Lake_Po
    Lake_Po Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    You look wonderful! Great job!!
  • cherisadler1
    Options
    Congrats you look amazing !!
  • AuntShanna
    AuntShanna Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    absolutely gorgeous transformations. Well Done! You are definitly a success story. Thank you so much for sharing, I am new and search the posts everyday for motivating journies like yours.
  • MorgueBabe
    MorgueBabe Posts: 1,188 Member
    Options
    Wow you look amazing! Well done!
  • lose4good1
    lose4good1 Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    Wow what a transformation
  • Sparkie134
    Sparkie134 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    Thank you for posting!
  • raneylfrick
    raneylfrick Posts: 380 Member
    Options
    Okay, so this almost made me choke up a little... What an inspiration you are. I cannot wait until the day I can put up something like this! I hope you are so very proud of yourself... Much love and respect to you!
  • scrapscot
    scrapscot Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    These are my favorite types of posts! Thanks for sharing. You look fantastic!
  • Debbs83
    Debbs83 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Wow - you have movie star looks.
  • CorkDork11
    CorkDork11 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Thank you for posting, so inspirational!
  • WhataBroad
    WhataBroad Posts: 1,091 Member
    Options
    You are a beauty!! I think the pic with the beaming smile on your face says it all!
    Fabulous!
  • autumnsnow786
    autumnsnow786 Posts: 279 Member
    Options
    you look great! congrats!
  • Mrs_Padgett
    Mrs_Padgett Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    You look fantastic!!!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!