Oh no, Superbowl weekend!

Options
Just got an invite to a Superbowl party to "watch the game and eat tons of food". Obviously this is a tradition, but until now I didn't worry about what I was eating.

I love football and I love parties. Definitely want to go, but I know 2 drinks in my willpower to not eat all those delicious Superbowl snacks will be gone.

Any advice? What are other people doing for Superbowl Sunday?

Replies

• kcallas88
    kcallas88 Posts: 192
    Options
    Sorry had to say my RAVENS are in the Super Bowl ????????????????????????????

Ha...to control hunger...I normally have a glass or bottle of water on hand and have a couple sips when tempted to eat. Also gum...it's very easy to not eat after chewing gum because when you do it's normally a nasty after taste ????
  • sassy_sparkles
    Options
    Meet your new BFF the veggie tray. Eat before the party if you can.

BYOB to the party. That way you'll know what exactly is in that drink and when you're out of what your brought, you're out.
    I like bringing sparkling water to parties and ALWAYS having a glass at least half full in my hand. It keeps the drunkies from topping me off and it saves me major unplanned calories.
  • badmojo108
    Options
    I'd cut my calories by 100-200 a day during the week, to build up a little buffer, then day of the game I wouldn't start snacking/eating til half time and stop at the end of the game. With a little moderation (I wouldn't compete in a wing eating contest) I think it's doubtful I would do too much, if any damage to my weekly calorie intake.

Drinkwise I tend to stick to straight whiskey with a glass of water in between drinks. I avoid beer and sweet mixed drinks those calories can add up really quick.

Unless of course you are a Ravens or 9ers fan, at which point my advice is screw your diet! Your team is in the big game, enjoy yourself and train harder next week. One day will not de-rail your dieting efforts.
  • icmuse
    icmuse Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    I really do not care for american football that much, BUT I love the camaraderie.
    Americans get really into it. SO I go to a party every year and have a blast!

First of I will double up my workout that morning.

Second - I am going to bring bunch of fresh veggies and hummus, and maybe have a bite of other foods and some wine, BUT trying not to gorge of fried, cheesy stuff :-)
  • majope
    majope Posts: 1,325 Member
    Options
    I do better at parties if I eat a healthy meal before I go. Then I can nibble at a few bits of yummy stuff, but I'll be too full to really indulge. Otherwise, if I try to treat the party food as dinner, I find myself struggling to make good choices from what's available while I'm really hungry--not ideal!

But I also agree that one night of indulgence isn't going to derail you permanently, especially if you get in a good workout and bank some calories earlier.
  • CharRicho
    CharRicho Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    Ok I'm definitely going to eat a healthy meal before I go, good idea.

I'm a Broncos fan, so no excuse to overdo it I guess, I'll just try to ramp up the willpower that day!
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    Negative calorie foods, load up on them to minimize the damage
  • capnlizard
    capnlizard Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    You could always bring something healthy and filling with you and mainly stick to that, with an occasional bit of the "cheat" foods. I bring black bean pulled chicken to pretty much every party I go to, since it is wicked tasty and really healthy and versatile.

Put 1lb frozen boneless skinless chicken breast in the crock pot and cover with a mix of 2 cans undrained low-sodium black beans, 16oz salsa of choice, and half a cup of uncooked rice. Cook on low for eight hours, then shred chicken. I have eaten it in a corn tortilla with veggies, over a salad with pico, and as the filling for enchiladas. When I used the recipe counter to figure the nutritional info, I put in the whole crock as ten servings, and it worked out as 180 calories, 29g carbs, 2g fat, 15g protein, 666mg sodium, and 9g fiber per serving (toppings and tortillas not included, naturally). Believe me, this is enough food to bring for a crowd!!!!!
  • Crankstr
    Crankstr Posts: 3,958 Member
    Options
    Negative calorie foods, load up on them to minimize the damage

it would be low cal to eat salsa off those abs. right?
  • purplelizzard
    purplelizzard Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    I have one day that it is my binge day, I don't go horribly horrible, but I will save Sunday as my binge day.
    Ill drink water all day, bring gum, and just portion what I eat.
    Instead of eating 10 wings, ill eat 5 or something else. Instead of getting my own appetizer ill split one with my boyfriend.
  • cmcollins001
    cmcollins001 Posts: 3,472 Member
    Options
    Realize that one day isn't going to do anything to hinder or derail or throw you off track. Understand that in life you will be invited to parties and outings and food type events.

Eat, enjoy the game, eat some more and don't worry about it. Go back to whats normal on Monday.
  • TylerJ76
    TylerJ76 Posts: 4,375 Member
    Options
    What will I eat?

Wings
    Chips
    Nacho Cheese Dip
    Cheese Burgers
    Beer

& I'll get back on track Monday morning..
  • CharRicho
    CharRicho Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    You could always bring something healthy and filling with you and mainly stick to that, with an occasional bit of the "cheat" foods. I bring black bean pulled chicken to pretty much every party I go to, since it is wicked tasty and really healthy and versatile.

Put 1lb frozen boneless skinless chicken breast in the crock pot and cover with a mix of 2 cans undrained low-sodium black beans, 16oz salsa of choice, and half a cup of uncooked rice. Cook on low for eight hours, then shred chicken. I have eaten it in a corn tortilla with veggies, over a salad with pico, and as the filling for enchiladas. When I used the recipe counter to figure the nutritional info, I put in the whole crock as ten servings, and it worked out as 180 calories, 29g carbs, 2g fat, 15g protein, 666mg sodium, and 9g fiber per serving (toppings and tortillas not included, naturally). Believe me, this is enough food to bring for a crowd!!!!!

This sounds amazing!
  • doorki
    doorki Posts: 2,611 Member
    Options
    I will eat all of the food and drink all of the beer. Then I will workout at 6 am the next morning while smelling like a Mexican brewery.
  • BurtHuttz
    BurtHuttz Posts: 3,653 Member
    Options
    Don't drink alcohol then. You'll still have fun I promise!
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options
    I will eat all of the food and drink all of the beer. Then I will workout at 6 am the next morning while smelling like a Mexican brewery.

This. Except there will be no beer at my brother's house, as he doesn't drink and I'm not going to just bring it for myself.

I also have a party over at a friend's new house Saturday night. Thus, the entire SB weekend is going to be one big splurge. I will definitely be in the gym overtime.
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options
    Eat on this holiest of holy holidays!
  • bellygoaway
    bellygoaway Posts: 441 Member
    Options
    One bad day does not the end of the world make. So if you go over, don't beat yourself up. Having been on the "eat less unhealthy" journey for a while, I find that my blow it days are not as bad as they used to be. I simply can't eat like I used to. Good luck, and you can do it.
  • terewilliams
    terewilliams Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    Great Post! I seem to be having a Superbowl party at my house and was wondering what in the world to serve cause almost all of our friends need to be on MFP! So I'm thinking definitely the black bean and chicken recipe above sounds great with some taco shells, lettuce and tomato and shredded cheese. I think I'll make a spiked diet lemonade for punch.
  • doorki
    doorki Posts: 2,611 Member
    Options
    Don't drink alcohol then. You'll still have fun I promise!

This is a dangerous fiction that you speak.