Options

Replies

• Lifting_Knitter
    Options
    I gave up the unending plate of food.
  • kusterer
    kusterer Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    50% of my food and 90% of my calories was either deep-fried or frozen dairy, usually from one of the cheapo restaurant chains. I don't eat those things, or eat at those places. That change alone has made it pretty easy to stay under my MFP limit.
  • Laur5567Russ
    Options
    I used to eat a few cookies daily-- either Oreos or Nestle chocolate chip homemade cookies. I haven't had any in 2 weeks. So hard!!!
  • JEG2012
    JEG2012 Posts: 158
    Options
    Diet Pepsi, coffee and sadly alcohol. Just can't lose weight with those on the menu.
  • chocl8girl
    chocl8girl Posts: 1,968 Member
    Options
    I haven't consciously given up anything, only shifted.

I haven't had a soda in almost 10 years merely because I just didn't want them or like them anymore. Same with any type of white bread or rice. I no longer drink cow's milk (I just prefer the taste of almond milk), but I had switched to skim years and years ago when I was still drinking it, and that is what my kids still drink. I don't put sugar or salt in anything. I've been trying coffee without cream, and a lot of times, it works for me, but sometimes I feel like having cream, so I do. Honestly, I chalk up all my "shifts" to better decision making, not giving anything up, because there is nothing that I am missing in what I choose not to eat anymore.

But really, if I want to eat something I eat it. I fit it into my day. Moderation really does work. Nothing is off-limits to me.
  • lorahinman
    lorahinman Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I have given up my homemade cookies (and most other refined sugar treats).
  • Lrdoflamancha
    Lrdoflamancha Posts: 1,280 Member
    Options
    Nothing! I just make better decisions about when and how much.

THIS
  • april_mesk
    april_mesk Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    Wheat, diet coke, I put no added sugar into anything I eat and am done with feeling sorry for myself. I will be where I want by the end of this year and will then maintain. If it takes longer so be it...
  • Cp731
    Cp731 Posts: 3,195 Member
    Options
    Has anyones family or friends noticed a difference?
  • hdlb
    hdlb Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    I had to give up a ton of thing for medical reasons - gluten, corn, dairy, tree nuts, peanuts, greasy/oily foods.

I gave up most candy and sugary drinks/pop because I don't need them and they make me feel crappy.
  • trudijoy
    trudijoy Posts: 1,685 Member
    Options
    Nothing! I just make better decisions about when and how much.

^^ this
  • marci1027
    Options
    i have given up sodas.....started drinking water (which i HATE), but have gotten used to it..... :)
  • thetaven
    thetaven Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I started MFP when I started taking care of my Diabetes. So I gave up a whole plethora of things I loved.

Mountain Dew Code Red
    Swiss Cake Rolls
    Pecan Spinwheels
    M&M Ice Cream Sandwiches
    Yoo-Hoo
    Starbucks frappuchinos

But, it just so happens that the things I liked were the things packing on the pounds.
  • EmilyBullough
    EmilyBullough Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I'm only a week in, but I'm trying to give up eating just because I'm bored. I would snack on crackers and cheese for no other reason than I was bored and it sounded tasty, but having to account for that extra food by logging it each day is really helping.
  • bluskies01
    bluskies01 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    I too had to give up a lot of things for medical reasons; chocolate, fried foods, caffeine, also other foods that aren't "bad" calorie wise, but bad for my GERD, tomatoes, onions, garlic.

I used to drink Coke all.day.long, now I only drink water and the occasional Sobe Life water or small cup of juice or skim milk. We used to eat fast food 1-3 nights a week, I've only had it twice in the past 2 weeks, and chose the "healthier" options (grilled chicken sandwich, baked potato). I've given up most chips, although I have had some sun chips. No more ice cream, I've been having greek yogurt instead.

I noticed an improvement in my GERD almost immediately, so my motivation to stick with this really has very little to do with weight, and more to do with no longer having to deal with nausea all day long and acid reflux.
  • brower47
    brower47 Posts: 16,356 Member
    Options
    Not food, but excuses. I now force myself to get up and do my workout.

You... you are my new internet hero. :flowerforyou:
  • TravelDog14
    TravelDog14 Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    Apple Fritters that were the size of a dinner plate.
  • Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    Options
    I kept the morning coffees, but ditched the cream and sugar (lots of both) - I want the caffeine but I would rather eat those cals than drink them!

This, over and over. I also used to drink literally nothing but coffee (with all of the previously mentioned crap in it), and picked up Coke Zero to cover most of the caffeine loss.

Stimulants are awesome. Stimulants with a lot of extra calories attached, not so much.
  • robindina
    robindina Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    Dark sodas.. I drink sprite occasionally for an upset stomach.
  • MerlinWilliams
    MerlinWilliams Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    I gave up wheat. However, that got rid of my reflux and several other nagging complaints.

It's texture I miss more than anything else, and also the fact that wheat based substances are nice and portable.

Beer is gone for now, but may make a reappearance down the road. I don't miss it much in January.

I've also given up pretty much all starches and refined sugars. I keep some coconut palm sugar around because of its low GI. I haven't quite got the hang of coffee without sugar yet.

Beans are gone too. Don't really miss them.