What Have You Given up?

Options

Replies

• EjaneK11
    EjaneK11 Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    I am currently a college student and I gave up eating on campus. The places to eat there was pretty much like fast food. It was very hard to watch my calories when I ate their food and it was very expensive. Now I bring my lunch.
  • MerlinWilliams
    MerlinWilliams Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    Stimulants are awesome. Stimulants with a lot of extra calories attached, not so much.

Oh, I don't know about that! Bulletproof coffee is pretty darn awesome!
  • rduhlir
    rduhlir Posts: 3,550 Member
    Options
    I have given up....nothing. I still have a soda once a week. Every morning I still have my coffee with creamer and sugar. I have just learned how to use them moderately and to control the binges. I still eat pasta, and Chinese, and McDonald's occasionally. I figure, I like these things...why not learn to control the portions and how often I have them instead of just giving them up completely?
  • michaela4910
    michaela4910 Posts: 542 Member
    Options
    I used to consume about 1800 calories a day in just Vanilla Latte's and coke. I've completely eliminated both from my diet. I also quit eating late at night.
  • tuckerrj
    tuckerrj Posts: 1,453 Member
    Options
    I gave up mindlessly eating in front of the TV every evening.
  • runningfataway
    Options
    Nothing, IIFYM (If it fits your macros)...

Well actually with a few exceptions. I've given up drive thru foods and sodas! I realized that I can eat **** loads more if I choose "healthier" options than the alternatives.
  • mrsmark2010
    Options
    my size 10 clothes... and happy to give them away. I have almost given up cherry coke zero, but I may have one a week instead of 2-3 a day. That was a choice to reduce artificial sweeteners and chemicals I don't need. Otherwise, nothing. I had tiramisu and a cupcake for dinner Saturday (and stayed under my goal).
  • TheRealParisLove
    TheRealParisLove Posts: 1,907 Member
    Options
    I gave up my car. I ride my bike everywhere now. Luckily I live in a part of the world that doesn't have much extreme weather, so it is possible to ride year round.
  • raynavee
    Options
    Not going to lie. I was forced into this diet. First I was pregnant, which meant that I needed to cut caffeine out of my diet... so there went my coffee =( Then I was hospitalized with abdominal pain, that turned up being my gallbladder failing. FUN TIMES THERE! So, I was put onto a low fat diet because you can't have abdominal surgery while pregnant. So, there went my peanut butter and spaghetti (which I will never eat again after it coming back up in the hospital... worst. experience. ever.) and of course junk food, fast food... and I had to make sure I minimized my fat to 20g. About a week later, me and my husband both decided to go full force on this diet, so that we would be better role models for our newborn son. Now I'm gallbladder free but still going strong on my diet. At least now I can eat peanut butter again! And all the good fats.
  • Rockytop_relic
    Rockytop_relic Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    Being lazy.
  • CherokeeBabe
    CherokeeBabe Posts: 1,704 Member
    Options
    Soda and 3 Candybars a week :) I used to eat A LOT more sugar.
  • tuckerrj
    tuckerrj Posts: 1,453 Member
    Options
    Oh, and 5- 6 beers at every golf outing.
  • WannaDizzolve
    WannaDizzolve Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    pasta, pastry, and ice cream most of the time. i never did like fast food, chips, or soda.
  • Superchas
    Superchas Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    Diet drinks
    Bread
    Cereal
    Four entire wardrobes as clothes have been resized
    Poor health
    Being unfit
  • Wade406
    Wade406 Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    I used to be the guy who said, "Nothing!" And that was true when I joined MFP. I just tried to moderate. And I got busy with my exercise regimen. And my net calories were just right. I lost weight, felt great, and hit my goals.

Next stop was fitness. I trained carefully, ate what I wanted, and concentrated on a macro nutrient goal of 50/25/25.

In the meantime my dad is dying of heart disease. He's on his way to his 3rd bypass surgery. Mom is a type 2 diabetic. Did you know that 40% of all people in the U.S. over 65 are diabetic. Really? Really?!?

I watched Forks Over Knives on Netflix last month. Because of the movie (not MFP, sorry) I've given up dairy and meat. It's killing everyone. I vow not to be a casualty. It's that dramatic. Do your research. Look up "nitric oxide" and "endothelium".
  • VeinsAndBones
    VeinsAndBones Posts: 550 Member
    Options
    Nothing really, I eat clean and I love the way it makes me feel.. I also know if it fits my macro's I can have whatever! No need to "give up" anything but excuses :)
  • QOEAmy
    QOEAmy Posts: 3
    Options
    I've given up eating mindlessly without accountability. Nothing is off limits, but I make a big effort to balance splurges with lighter eating and exercise.
  • tweak222
    Options
    I gave up pretty much all carbonated beverages except for the occasional homebrewed beer ;) I also gave up juice with corn syrup or added sugars. I try to eat only lean meats and avoid chemicals and preservatives.
  • bridgelene
    bridgelene Posts: 358 Member
    Options
    insane quantities of food. I haven't really changed much, except that now every time I eat a meal or snack, I do NOT take in 4x+ the size of an actual serving.

Sometimes I still eat more than one serving, but it's not as frequent, and it's not as MUCH.
  • erickita89
    erickita89 Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    I've been coffee free for 3 weeks.
    Soda free for 3 weeks
    crappy juice free for 3 weeks (i only drink juiced veggies/fruit from bolt house farms)

I only had chocolate twice in the time since joined MFP which is a dramatic change for me.