Over 40 lbs. gone but frustrated

Options
13»

Replies

• Colleen118
    Colleen118 Posts: 491 Member
    Options
    AS a success story I can speak for both sides of this.

Don't let it bother you right now. It is noticeable and their lack of praise could be summed up to any number of things from being afraid to make you feel bad if they should be 'wrong' in their thought to being jealous that you have strated to do something to skeptical as to whether or not it is a lsting change or a short term fad... people are wired different and we can't assume their actions are intentionally hurtful.

as for once it becomes completely noitceable and you keep shrinking and shrinking and they still don't mention it, sweat it even less because you have succeeded. IF that person begins whining about their own size being too large merely politely point that it is hard to make serious changes but that to be healthy is a great feeling.

I have a couple of friends that have never once bothered to congratualate or remark on my progress. It hurt at first but I don't let it sway me now. I didn't make these changes for the attention and now that I do get a lot of attention, I find it can be an inconvenience being stopped in the restroom chatting with thsoe who haven't seem me standing (I work behind a desk) to see the full effects of my loss. One day recently at work I literally got no work done because after one collegue bumped into me in the hall she mentioned it to a bunch of other people who started coming to see me and emailing me... I appreciated it and was irritated all at the same time.
  • Colleen118
    Colleen118 Posts: 491 Member
    Options
    I'm with you! I've lost 30ish and my husband is the only one to notice really. But to me its just an even bigger motivator for me to really get the rest of it off and push myself even harder. I feel like if everyone noticed the loss right away I might get too comfortable or lax about it.

I know how you must feel. My body shows weight loss very easily, unfortunately, it also packs it on fast. When I lose weight others notice, but my husband doesn't. That is even more frustrating in my opinion

Your hubby may not notice because he sees you everyday like you do. For you it is noticeable because you are looking for it, he is not. My hubby has been a huge supporter, sometimes too supportive for me. I don't lax or anything like that but I am very self conscious and the compliments can get overwhelming.
  • mair123
    mair123 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    Hi! It is so important to not let others frustrate you. 40 lbs. is a GREAT accomplishment, and remember at the end of the day- you are doing it for YOU- no one else.

I had to laugh because I can relate, but I also have something to add. I started MFP last February and have since lost over 60 pounds. As you know, it takes a lot of heart and dedication. For quite some time, other than a very few select people- no one seemed to notice. In all honesty, I was like- WTF??

In part, like others have said, it could have been my clothes. When you have so much to lose, you can't go buy yourself a new wardrobe every 5-10 lb drop. When summer vacation was over and school started again (I am a substitute teacher) all of a sudden, EVERYONE was asking me about my weight and complimenting me. It felt great, but I was baffled- I had been working on this for over 6 months, it wasn't something that happened over night, why were people only noticing now?

I am at the point where I am absolutely sick of talking about weight all the time. Sometimes, I want to pull my hair out when someone asks "What is your secret?". There are days that I want to sarcastically say, diet pills and puking are my secret- but I know that for the most part they mean well and are good intentioned. People now feel at liberty to ask/tell me things such as, is my husband more attracted to me now? i see you are still dieting/working out! don't lose anymore weight, you are too skinny now!

So the point of my long story is.....know you are a rock star who is fighting a hard and good fight. To heck with others and their comments or lack their of. At the end of the day, the only person you need to impress is YOURSELF. Keep up the great work!
  • JanaCanada
    JanaCanada Posts: 917 Member
    Options
    I feel for ya. Not one person has said one word to me yet.

I'ma keep goin' anyway. :)
  • fstender
    fstender Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    I’m 38 years old 5’1”. My heaviest was 202. When I started on here last September I was 190. Now I’m 149.6. I actually thought by now people who hadn’t seen me since before I started on here would notice my weight loss. One of my aunts came over for a visit on the weekend with one of here daughters. Not one of them even noticed. I have lost over 8 inches in both my waste and hips. I can wear my profile shorts over my pants I wear now and have some room to spare. Does anyone else have this problem or am I the only one?

Have you went shopping for some new more fitting clothes yet...maybe your clothes are too lose and not showing what you have acomplished...Plus main thing is...how do you feel..do you feel better...that's what counts the most....
  • BobbieLee1959
    BobbieLee1959 Posts: 605 Member
    Options
    Don't let it bother you! You notice a difference and that is ALL that matters! You are not losing it for them and maybe it is because your clothes are baggy, so they can't see what you can feel under there!!! My family on my hubby's side still have not said anything and it has been a year and 57 lbs. I don't care...I feel great and I am happily enjoying my success...boooooo to them and yay to me!! :)
  • CarrieStL
    CarrieStL Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    This is a classic example of why it's so important to be healthy for yourself and not anyone else. Although, having that gratification of people saying "Wow! You look great!" is awesome when it happens..... it not always will. People may be jealous, afraid to bring it up or really, really unobservant. Funny though...when we gain 5 lbs they are so quick to notice and comment? ..Lose 50 and they haven't a clue!

EXACTLY.
  • SailorSunira
    SailorSunira Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Tactful people are afraid to encroach on the subject of heavy weight loss because it is just as likely you lost it because of heavy stress or a medical condition. I complimented a coworker once on her great hair and awesome weight loss once only to be told she had cancer, was losing weight due to chemo and she was wearing a wig. That has pretty much shut me up for good in terms of weight loss compliments. If someone admits to trying to lose weight and I can see a difference, then I will make a positive comment. Otherwise I leave well enough alone.

Maybe they're just being nice and waiting for you to share your joy with them. Why not tell people about your triumph if you want them to notice it?
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!