Giving popcorn flavour without calories?

Options
mazdauk
mazdauk Posts: 1,380 Member
I've got an air-popper (you know, you put the kernals in and they come out as popcorn!) but I find after a couple of mouthfuls I'm just bored with eating it. Good in a way, but if I've specially mad a healthy snack I'd like to eat it!:bigsmile:

Anyone have any ideas for adding flavour (savoury preferred) without piling on loads of calories? I asked this question on another forum (not diet-related) and all people came up with was adding loads of butter/oil, or cheese, or chocolate, or sugar........

And if I could portion it into ziplock bags without it going bleugh I could take it to work:glasses:

Replies

• Hbazzell
    Hbazzell Posts: 899 Member
    Options
    m and ms....oh *kitten*....that wont work, but it is so good!
  • kr1stadee
    kr1stadee Posts: 1,774 Member
    Options
    Spray becel? I haven't tried it thought...
    Parmesan cheese tastes good!!
    Black pepper
    garlic
  • kwmarissa
    kwmarissa Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Cinnamon isn't really savory but it sure tastes good on popcorn.
  • StrongAtLast
    StrongAtLast Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    They make a shaker of the Kraft macroni and cheese powder, I sprinkle that on
  • beedrty
    beedrty Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Butter flavored cooking spray and a little salt. AND if you want amazing add a teaspoon of coconut oil (60 cal) melted in the microwave for 20 sec. Taste just like movie theater popcorn!
  • Lyssa62
    Lyssa62 Posts: 930 Member
    Options
    go crazy and experiment with different spices...MOST of them are low calorie. I really like sea salt and cracked pepper on mine.
  • Richie2shoes
    Richie2shoes Posts: 412 Member
    Options
    Tastefully simple onion onion seasoning. It's dehydrated onion and some other seasoning and goes great with popcorn.
  • Kimbie500
    Kimbie500 Posts: 388 Member
    Options
    Bump. I'd like some more ideas, too.

I have tried soy sauce in a misto sprayer with mixed success. Also water in a misto sprayer as the popcorn comes out of the popper and sprinkling on a BBQ seasoning. Both were OK but did not compare to the calorie-laden butter and Parmesan cheese I prefer... Also required a bit more coordination to apply while the corn is hot than I seem to have...

ETA: I also like salt and freshly ground pepper on popcorn, but want something non-fat (and not a "fat free" cooking spray) to stick it on with....
  • loudgls89
    loudgls89 Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    How about some peri-peri sprinkles or chilli flakes to give it a bit of a kick?
  • boxem180
    boxem180 Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    I use garlic powder and season salt. It's pretty amazing.
  • Doberdawn
    Doberdawn Posts: 732 Member
    Options
    Spray it with no fat olive oil or butter flavor cooking spray to make the seasoning stick. Sprinkle with Nosalt (or salt if you don't care about sodium) & Bragg's nutritional yeast. It only has 20 calories to a tbsp. Adds a lot of flavor & also high in vitamins B1, B2, B3, B6, & B12, among other vitamins & nutrients. Also has 3g protein & 1g fiber. If you can have dairy, I can't believe it's not butter spray also works well.
  • ccrosland82
    Options
    We use sea salt and nutritional yeast! Yummy and nutritious!
  • jamers3111
    jamers3111 Posts: 495 Member
    Options
    What about parmesan cheese or garlic powder or seasoned salt??
  • juliemouse83
    juliemouse83 Posts: 6,663 Member
    Options
    Here's what I do - as I'm a big time popcorn lover, and I have been airpopping since the first of the year:

I spritz mine with zero calorie butter spray, sprinkle with NoSalt, and go a little crazy with ground cayenne pepper.

If you aren't sodium worried, season salt and parmesan cheese are really good, too. :)
  • abrewer563
    Options
    Mrs. Dash has a bunch of different flavors and they're all zero calorie and zero sodium. Could be a good way to switch it up!
  • cmcmommy
    cmcmommy Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    They sell flavor shakers in the popcorn section . I believe they are 0 calories. like cheddar cheese, nacho cheese.
  • ladybarometer
    ladybarometer Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    Right after I remove my smart pop single serve bag from the microwave, I toss in some dark chocolate chips... maybe two tablespoons and shake it real good. It's messy, but delicious!
  • lucyricky2
    lucyricky2 Posts: 438 Member
    Options
    I have air-popped popcorn almost every night. I just keep spraying with i can't believe its not butter spray. that way i can eat without salt. very filling for 100 calories
  • sunsnstatheart
    sunsnstatheart Posts: 2,544 Member
    Options
    Someone already said cinnamon. I'll add curry powder, cocoa powder, soy sauce, strawberry powder (the type for milk), etc.

All have some calories but if you're careful you won't add much. Just play around a bit.
  • juliemouse83
    juliemouse83 Posts: 6,663 Member
    Options
    Also, once I figured out that my popper pops ten cups, I divvy it up and put some in Tupperware and bring it to work with me to snack on.