Giving popcorn flavour without calories?

Options

Replies

• eatrainsmile
    eatrainsmile Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    I love taco seasoning or cajun seasoning flavored popcorn. Spice up your popcorn!
  • juliemouse83
    juliemouse83 Posts: 6,663 Member
    Options
    Right after I remove my smart pop single serve bag from the microwave, I toss in some dark chocolate chips... maybe two tablespoons and shake it real good. It's messy, but delicious!

OH, EM, GEE! That is going to be on my "must try" list. :flowerforyou: Thank you!
  • plynn54
    plynn54 Posts: 912 Member
    Options
    most popcorn seasonings do not have many calories in it at all, I get mine at the bulk barn, so its really cheap too
  • mitch16
    mitch16 Posts: 2,113 Member
    Options
    Do they still make Butter Buds? We used that in college...
  • Hirgy03
    Hirgy03 Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    Ground Black Pepper.

Here endeth the lesson
  • ktsmom430
    ktsmom430 Posts: 1,100 Member
    Options
    I like it with parmesan cheese. I use a micro planer, it makes it pretty fine, so you do not need much.

My newest thing I like is buffalo wing sauce spritzed on with a mister.
  • JessicaRobin67
    JessicaRobin67 Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    I use EVOO ( no more than 1 TBS)... sprinkle either cayenne(chili powder) or garlic powder and small amount of salt. Yummy
  • MWarren0514
    Options
    I use an air popper as well, and I use spray butter "I Can't Believe It's Not Butter" because it adds 0 zero calories and 0 fat grams and I spray it on as it's coming out of the popper, then I sprinkle a little sea salt on it! It's really good...it's hard to get over wanting to taste more butter and more salt but actually once you settle in and realize you are making it healthy for a reason, then you actually start to like it :) Cinnamon wasn't as good to me...and I LOVE cinnamon. I've heard great things about parmesan cheese but I don't care for it. Garlic powder could also be interesting if you like that as well :)
  • jenniebean1680
    jenniebean1680 Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    garlic powder, onion powder, and chili powder! no need to use oil to stick it, it will stick to the popcorn enough for flavor. I do this all the time! :)
  • MWarren0514
    Options
    Butter flavored cooking spray and a little salt. AND if you want amazing add a teaspoon of coconut oil (60 cal) melted in the microwave for 20 sec. Taste just like movie theater popcorn!

Coconut oil? That sounds amazing! And I just bought some!!!! SWEET!
  • Deedles2012
    Deedles2012 Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    I add some sliced jalapenos. Very yummy and low calorie!
  • tobejune
    tobejune Posts: 177
    Options
    spray tamari or braggs aminos on pop corn. I top with a sprinkle of nutritional (brewers) yeast for the buttery-ness flavor. MMMMMM yummy. Also my toddler would eat this all day every day.
  • BMcC9
    BMcC9 Posts: 4,438 Member
    Options
    Molly McButter (next or nigh to Mrs Dash in the Baking / Spices section of the grocery store. Blue lid.)
  • sabrina0024
    sabrina0024 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I like Tastefully Simple Fiesta Dip Mix. It's in a shaker - just a blend of spicy spices....makes for a delicious spicy popcorn. (I wonder what a little Lime Pepper and Cayenne would be like.....)
  • travelgirl77
    travelgirl77 Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    I love hot sauce on mine! Mmmm. Texas Pete and popcorn!
  • woodsygirl
    woodsygirl Posts: 354 Member
    Options
    Nutritional yeast has an interesting cheesy taste and makes it super nutritious without adding anything bad. I can sometimes get my kids to eat it that way. Yeast is super high in B vitamins.
  • BeachGingerOnTheRocks
    BeachGingerOnTheRocks Posts: 3,927 Member
    Options
    nori/seaweed flakes. You can get them in Asian markets or sometimes Whole Foods.

Adds nutrition, almost no calories, and it's delicious. Nori is the sheet of seaweed that goes on sushi rolls.
  • WildcatMom82
    WildcatMom82 Posts: 564 Member
    Options
    I tried one that was chili powder, cumin, and nutritional yeast, it wasn't bad. It included butter, but a spray work just to get the spices to stick.

I know you said savory preferred, but my new favorite is to pop 37 grams of kernels and add 1 tsp of honey + 1/2 tsp cinnamon. SO good.
  • MrsGriffin67
    MrsGriffin67 Posts: 485 Member
    Options
    They sell flavor shakers in the popcorn section . I believe they are 0 calories. like cheddar cheese, nacho cheese.

Actually I think they are like 5 or 10 calories. Regardless, very few none the less. I use these with a little non-stick spray to make the seasoning stick. I like the ranch, nacho cheese and the white cheddar...yum.
  • alasin1derland
    alasin1derland Posts: 575 Member
    Options
    http://www.kernelseasons.com/

Found these shakers at walmart