A Success story from someone who eats 1200 calories

Options

Replies

• jonesie84
    jonesie84 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    I as well have been eating a 1200 calorie diet. I lost 57lb in a year! I used the recipe builder on this site to figure out what calories homemade dishes have!
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    I was going to say to OP that I wonder why you thought you were eating 1800 when you weighed near 250. Your TDEE then even if you did no exercise should have been more like 2238. I just think its possible that you didnt' accurately assess what you were eating. I did this- when I was overweight I didn't think I was eating that much. But i must have been.

You don't think the medical issues the OP listed were a more likely factor?
  • ILoveTheBrowns
    ILoveTheBrowns Posts: 661 Member
    Options
    I actually took the time to review the OPs diary, which reveals that she is not even eating 1200 calories. It also seems to me her diet is full of processed foods so the claim that she is eating healthy is also debunked.

I am not saying these things because I am wanting to bash the OP, but rather that the way she is going about it is not exactly the best.

If you are new and confused, please find someone that is successful and ask them how they did it.

Good luck, I am out.

thanks lesa everyone needed you to point that out......you are a better human for that....good job telling someone who lost weight that they are not successful ....unbalievable
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    I was going to say to OP that I wonder why you thought you were eating 1800 when you weighed near 250. Your TDEE then even if you did no exercise should have been more like 2238. I just think its possible that you didnt' accurately assess what you were eating. I did this- when I was overweight I didn't think I was eating that much. But i must have been.

You mean the binge eating disorder that sounds also like she was malnourished and her doctor advised she raise her intake to 1200 because of it?
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    I actually took the time to review the OPs diary, which reveals that she is not even eating 1200 calories. It also seems to me her diet is full of processed foods so the claim that she is eating healthy is also debunked.

I am not saying these things because I am wanting to bash the OP, but rather that the way she is going about it is not exactly the best.

If you are new and confused, please find someone that is successful and ask them how they did it.

Good luck, I am out.

thanks lesa everyone needed you to point that out......you are a better human for that....good job telling someone who lost weight that they are not successful ....unbalievable

So you think that what the OP is doing (netting about 1000 cals or less) is healthy?
  • soobie
    soobie Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    Good to hear and congrats on your loss! Eating more, for me, has always meant weighing more. Plus, I am very comfortable with what I eat to get to 1200/day. Healthy meals, healthy snacks. If I force myself to eat more-- why would I do that???

There must be individual variations at work. Like, older women? Come on! We are not going to lose weight by eating more. Sorry. The weight packs on and eating more is not going to take it off.

This is so true, when i read people telling older ones to increase calories, i know that is bad, bad advice. It would lead to us gaining for sure.

Besides, if people eliminate extra fat and sugar ........1200 calories is a lot of food!
    I agree. When I was doing super on my clean eating I had a heck of a time eating 1200 and I was eating ALL day. My macros were all being met for the most part(I also have a challenge sometimes with my protein. I'm a vegetarian and have to be mindful) but I had more energy than I had in a long time.
    I am also 46 years old, so my metabolism isn't quite what it used to be. I have increased my calories the last month or so, mainly because winter is making me ravenous :) My weight loss has really slowed though and that is frustrating. I've probably lost 2 pounds in the last month or 6 weeks.
  • fightininggirl
    fightininggirl Posts: 792 Member
    Options
    I actually doubled my calorie intake so for me to eat this is very healthy. for a long time binge eater like me. I am a success and despite the bashing. I am confident and no one can take that away.
  • rm7161
    rm7161 Posts: 505
    Options
    the thing is with my binge eating counselor I was eating a lot less calories than the 1200 calories. she reccomended these calories for me. I didn't pick it up out of the drop of a hat. It is working great I wanted to share my success.

Quite right, when you eat less than the calories your body needs, you are more likely to binge.

Glad you raised your calories. You may decide to change it up later if you get into more fitness activities, I have to eat more with being more active now.
  • rm7161
    Options
    When I was doing super on my clean eating I had a heck of a time eating 1200 and I was eating ALL day. My macros were all being met for the most part(I also have a challenge sometimes with my protein. I'm a vegetarian and have to be mindful) but I had more energy than I had in a long time.

I dunno, I can polish off a box of Mary's and some hummus, coconut milk, nuts and avocados, and see the calories skyrocket to the moon without touching a bit of dairy or meat. No idea about anyone else... just saying you can eat "clean" and vegan and still overeat, shrug.
  • PinkyKiwii
    PinkyKiwii Posts: 512 Member
    Options
    Her diary is under 1200...

:huh:

Congratulations on the weight loss though.
  • fightininggirl
    fightininggirl Posts: 792 Member
    Options
    will do siege tank. I will post on the group they are more friendly and caring
  • rm7161
    Options

It's not over 1200, but its over 1100 on the few days I looked at. Given that people usually underestimate how much they eat, its probably at or just over 1200.

There wasnt anything really wrong with her diary that I saw. Sure she's not eating super organic or anything, but who cares? Studies have shown that organic foods are not really as healthy as its cracked up to be, and I am not sold on "clean" eating either. Some processed food is ok, some isn't. Depends.
  • PinkyKiwii
    PinkyKiwii Posts: 512 Member
    Options

It's not over 1200, but its over 1100 on the few days I looked at.

There wasnt anything really wrong with her diary that I saw. Sure she's not eating super organic or anything, but who cares? Studies have shown that organic foods are not really as healthy as its cracked up to be, and I am not sold on "clean" eating either. Some processed food is ok, some isn't. Depends.

I didn't mention anything about eating "clean" and what not

Being under 1200 is not good.
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    will do siege tank. I will post on the group they are more friendly and caring

I wouldn't say it's a lack of caring. Oh, sure, it's sometimes a lack of tact or manners, but not a lack of caring. In fact, I have reason to believe that many of the people who have offered their thoughts generally against 1200 (or lower) are doing it because they truly do care about other people.

Best of luck to you in the future and congrats on your success so far.
  • rm7161
    Options

It's not over 1200, but its over 1100 on the few days I looked at.

I didn't mention anything about eating "clean" and what not

Being under 1200 is not good.

The other gal did. Was unsure if you went to look for yourself or was just quoting her.

I went to look (and I usually dislike looking, feels always creepy to me) and its not as bad as described. Calorie counts on packages are usually higher than stated, so its not appreciably under and probably is effectively 1200 or more.

But this is an object lesson in why people should close their diaries when working through an eating disorder.
  • MariaChele85
    MariaChele85 Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    Anyone can lose "weight" on 1200 cal.
    Easy.Simple.
    BUt I like my mucles, my strength, my edurance and my POWER!
    I cant do that on 1200 calories
  • metaphoria
    metaphoria Posts: 1,432 Member
    Options
    The correct way to post in a success thread that does not involve hcg, pills or eating disorders, is "good job, you should be very proud of yourself." With an optional :flowerforyou: or :drinker:

Mfp 101, people. Believe it or not, she did not ask for advice, she was sharing her success. Everything is not about you.
  • perfectingpatti
    perfectingpatti Posts: 1,037 Member
    Options
    Anyone can lose "weight" on 1200 cal. Easy.Simple.
    False. Completely false.
    BUt I like my mucles, my strength, my edurance and my POWER!
    Good thing this thread isn't about you.
    I cant do that on 1200 calories
    So, don't.
  • CorvusCorax77
    CorvusCorax77 Posts: 2,536 Member
    Options

I missed those. Were they in the original post? cuz I didn't see them... will pour through thread now to try to make sense of it all.
  • jesz124
    jesz124 Posts: 1,004 Member
    Options
    The correct way to post in a success thread that does not involve hcg, pills or eating disorders, is "good job, you should be very proud of yourself." With an optional :flowerforyou: or :drinker:

Mfp 101, people. Believe it or not, she did not ask for advice, she was sharing her success. Everything is not about you.

Yes but 'success' is a very objective thing. As I've just read on this thread a million times 'we are all different', yada yada yada. Personally I don't want to just look like a thinner version of myself when I started on MFP. I want to look like fooking superwoman!! 1200 cals a day just ain't cutting it in the super hero stakes. No one can take over the world eating that low. Just saying.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!