A Success story from someone who eats 1200 calories

Options

Replies

• dfquigley
    dfquigley Posts: 186
    Options
    I take in 1,220 calories a day, plus what I exercise.

I'm not exactly wasting away.

Soon I will increase it to maintenance levels rather than fat loss levels though :p
  • jesz124
    jesz124 Posts: 1,004 Member
    Options
    Personally I don't want to just look like a thinner version of myself when I started on MFP. I want to look like fooking superwoman!!

*ahem* success thread.....

Sorry? Are you trying to say something in code there? The * did not help me decifer what you are trying to say either.
  • dfquigley
    dfquigley Posts: 186
    Options
    Whoops, I also meant to add that yeah it can be done, and not by just one person!!

Congratulations on your weight loss and keep it up! :D
  • Siege_Tank
    Siege_Tank Posts: 781 Member
    Options
    Personally I don't want to just look like a thinner version of myself when I started on MFP. I want to look like fooking superwoman!!

Sorry? Are you trying to say something in code there? The * did not help me decifer what you are trying to say either.

What you said was funny, but I was trying to say that even if you didn't agree with the methods the OP used, reducing body fat and improving your overall fitness, cholesterol levels, hormone levels, risks for heart disease...

I... I really have a hard time with begin critical of how someone loses weight, within the context of methods that are generally recognized as safe.

Especially in their success thread. I mean If I were to post my success story and hear these kinds of responses, I'd run away crying shouting "BWUHUHUU THE WHOLE INTERNET HATES ME!"

There isn't this much animosity towards Intermittent Fasters, Warrior Dieters, Bulkers and cutters, or any of the other ways there are to cut calories and drop weight.

Look, I get it, society is *kitten* for indoctrinating women to think that they have to eat like birds in order to look good. Magazine editors and photoshoppers that work for photography companies should be irradiated and die a slow painful death for making so many women hate themselves and strive for an unattainable body shape. People who work in the food industry should be publicly flogged for pushing the entire system towards cheap processed crap.

This woman has lost weight. She should be celebrated and commended. She did it without resorting to banned drugs, surgery, weight loss gimmicks, or unhealthy practices. That she is losing weight in a way that will slow her metabolism for the short term should be of no concern to you.

So here's to you OP! Congrats on your loss, you're an inspiration!
  • devrinator
    devrinator Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    When I was doing super on my clean eating I had a heck of a time eating 1200 and I was eating ALL day. My macros were all being met for the most part(I also have a challenge sometimes with my protein. I'm a vegetarian and have to be mindful) but I had more energy than I had in a long time.

I dunno, I can polish off a box of Mary's and some hummus, coconut milk, nuts and avocados, and see the calories skyrocket to the moon without touching a bit of dairy or meat. No idea about anyone else... just saying you can eat "clean" and vegan and still overeat, shrug.

I was thinking the same thing. I went vegan for a while, and I always overdid the avocados and almonds. I had no problem maintaining about 1800 or so calories a day. One day would be something like, I would wake up, eat some fruit and/or puffed millet with almond milk. For lunch, I'd eat a big salad with olives, carrots, avocados, tomatoes, peppers, flax seed, and some olive oil and vinegar, then for dinner, I'd eat a big serving of quinoa with beans, squash, and corn. I could kill the calories very easily!
  • jesz124
    jesz124 Posts: 1,004 Member
    Options

What you said was funny, but I was trying to say that even if you didn't agree with the methods the OP used, reducing body fat and improving your overall fitness, cholesterol levels, hormone levels, risks for heart disease...

I... I really have a hard time with begin critical of how someone loses weight, within the context of methods that are generally recognized as safe.

Especially in their success thread. I mean If I were to post my success story and hear these kinds of responses, I'd run away crying shouting "BWUHUHUU THE WHOLE INTERNET HATES ME!"

There isn't this much animosity towards Intermittent Fasters, Warrior Dieters, Bulkers and cutters, or any of the other ways there are to cut calories and drop weight.

Look, I get it, society is *kitten* for indoctrinating women to think that they have to eat like birds in order to look good. Magazine editors and photoshoppers that work for photography companies should be irradiated and die a slow painful death for making so many women hate themselves and strive for an unattainable body shape. People who work in the food industry should be publicly flogged for pushing the entire system towards cheap processed crap.

This woman has lost weight. She should be celebrated and commended. She did it without resorting to banned drugs, surgery, weight loss gimmicks, or unhealthy practices. That she is losing weight in a way that will slow her metabolism for the short term should be of no concern to you.

So here's to you OP! Congrats on your loss, you're an inspiration!

Yeah cool...you could of just said that the first time round though...
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    The correct way to post in a success thread that does not involve hcg, pills or eating disorders, is "good job, you should be very proud of yourself." With an optional :flowerforyou: or :drinker:

Mfp 101, people. Believe it or not, she did not ask for advice, she was sharing her success. Everything is not about you.

Maybe, but she didn't post a simple success thread. By titling her thread the way she did, she created an advertisement for unhealthy eating, a more difficult than needed weightloss strategy, and an unsustainable maintenance plan (which she has not yet attempted).

Look at the number of women that have responded to this thread excited to start their own 1200 calorie journey. We're not here to bash the OP, we're here to tell others that there is a better way. An easier way. A sustainable way.

The thread is in the Success Stories section, ergo it is a success thread. People add stuff to their titles all the time to make it more topic specific. MFP allows 1200 as a calorie goal, but bans pro-ana, diet potions, etc. She is an adult and I'm sure she is more than capable of discerning what sort of weight loss regimen she wishes to follow. I like eating more, myself, but a Success Stories thread Is not the place to offer advice, especially unsolicited. People get in a tizzy when someone comments about revealing clothing In a success story thread with pics, so why is it socially acceptable to criticize her for this? If someone doesn't agree? Move along.

(Thanks for giving me a chance to use the word ergo. :flowerforyou: )

Fine. I won't criticize people in success threads because you say that is not the proper place (as long as it fits into YOUR parameters, anyway). Please point me to the section where people aren't whiny babies when you disagree with them. Because I haven't found a forum on here yet where people Thank you for replacing their terrible ideas with sound advice. I keep getting called unsupportive.

Carry on. I'm done here
  • PinkyKiwii
    PinkyKiwii Posts: 512 Member
    Options
    The correct way to post in a success thread that does not involve hcg, pills or eating disorders, is "good job, you should be very proud of yourself." With an optional :flowerforyou: or :drinker:

Mfp 101, people. Believe it or not, she did not ask for advice, she was sharing her success. Everything is not about you.

Maybe, but she didn't post a simple success thread. By titling her thread the way she did, she created an advertisement for unhealthy eating, a more difficult than needed weightloss strategy, and an unsustainable maintenance plan (which she has not yet attempted).

Look at the number of women that have responded to this thread excited to start their own 1200 calorie journey. We're not here to bash the OP, we're here to tell others that there is a better way. An easier way. A sustainable way.

The thread is in the Success Stories section, ergo it is a success thread. People add stuff to their titles all the time to make it more topic specific. MFP allows 1200 as a calorie goal, but bans pro-ana, diet potions, etc. She is an adult and I'm sure she is more than capable of discerning what sort of weight loss regimen she wishes to follow. I like eating more, myself, but a Success Stories thread Is not the place to offer advice, especially unsolicited. People get in a tizzy when someone comments about revealing clothing In a success story thread with pics, so why is it socially acceptable to criticize her for this? If someone doesn't agree? Move along.

(Thanks for giving me a chance to use the word ergo. :flowerforyou: )

Fine. I won't criticize people in success threads because you say that is not the proper place (as long as it fits into YOUR parameters, anyway). Please point me to the section where people aren't whiny babies when you disagree with them. Because I haven't found a forum on here yet where people Thank you for replacing their terrible ideas with sound advice. I keep getting called unsupportive.

Carry on. I'm done here

I don't know you, but I love you.
  • Serah87
    Serah87 Posts: 5,481 Member
    Options
    Looking at your diary, only once, in the last week, that you hit 1200 calories, otherwise you were way below 1200 calories. :huh:
  • CloverCreeper
    CloverCreeper Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    Just adding my two cents because this has turned into a debate thread.

You can't gain large amounts of weight by eating at your BMR.
    That is the base amount of calories you need to sustain life if you didn't
    move, EVER. The reason people gain is because they have been starving
    their bodies of the necessary calories for too long and their bodies have adapted.
    It's important to give your body 6-8 weeks to get used to the higher calories and
    then you will start to lose again.

I am not yet a walking example of this theory, but have done my research and
    just started my reset.
  • hreu213
    hreu213 Posts: 76
    Options
    Congrats on your weight loss.

I agree with your sentiment that a combination of healthy eating of non-processed foods can make it challenging to eat more than 1200 calories, particularly if you are a small person to begin with. I eat between 1200-1400 calories a day without trying to control or limit my food intake; that's just naturally what my body feels comfortable with, and includes two normal-sized/large-sized meals and some snacks (I am NOT a breakfast person). I am not hungry eating this way, and I'm not TRYING to be hungry. I also hit up the gym like 4-5x a week for 2h sessions, so dieting is not my primary fitness strategy.

Yesterday, I (totally coincidentally not related to forum stuff) ate closer to 1700 calories. I felt stuffed and uncomfortable all night and still felt kind of icky this morning.

I've seen people eat 1200 calories or less as their primary weight loss strategy and do it totally wrong, resulting in a dietary plan that looks neither nutritionally nor physically satisfying. And I also think there are people out there who really, really, really just don't want to or don't need to eat more than 1200-1400 calories a day. For some of us, it's just how our bodies work. Why all the hate? Just because your body doesn't work that way and would be starving doesn't mean that my body reacts the same way.

Well said!
  • Berlygirl10
    Options
    congrats on your success!!!! I hope to post one some day soon!
  • Mcgrawhaha
    Mcgrawhaha Posts: 1,596 Member
    Options
    Congratulations on your weight loss! Thats awesome!

Im honestly just curious, will you be fine with eating 1200 for the rest of your life? Do you ever go over? Like birthdays, Thanksgiving, Christmas, general parties etc?

as with any calorie defecit, eating at a defecit is for weight loss, not maintaining. why would she need to eat at 1200 for the rest of her life? once she reaches her goal weight, just like everyone else, she will need to transition into maintenance calories. i eat 1200-1300 cals a day, ive lost 55 pounds since september, and i go off every other saturday, and eat whatever and as much as i want. i go off my plan for christmas, thanksgiving, and every other special event. in december, i went of of my plan for 4 separate days, and i still lost 9 pounds that month. ofcourse she wont have to eat 1200 for life, thats silly... as i get closer to my goal weight, i have began slowly raising my calorie goals,just this last month, in weekly incriments of 25, however, im am still losing. i will continue to slowly raise them until i reach my maintenance, and ideal weight... 1200 was temporary, as is any calorie goal that puts you in a defecit.
  • gabmoody
    gabmoody Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I think it's quite easy to hover near 1200 if you are really eating non processed food. Anything that comes out of a packet and does not resemble food in the slightest will make you fat ! Congratulations everyone on their success.
  • jakidb
    jakidb Posts: 1,010 Member
    Options
    I'm unsure why all the 1200 calories a day bashing myself...I've seen quite a few. I eat more than 1200 but my motto is this, whatever WORKS for WHOMEVER, do what you do and do gr8t! Congrats on your success :):):)
  • fit4lifeUcan2
    fit4lifeUcan2 Posts: 1,458 Member
    Options
    My starting weight was 240 pounds. I have lost a total of 112 pounds. I eat around 1600-2000 calories.

To each their own. I just wish more people would get educated before posting responses in this thread!

Well good for YOU but this thread is not about you now is it? This is a success story about the OP. NOT YOU! Start your own thread if you want to post your success.
  • lasmit4477
    lasmit4477 Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    @fit4lifeUcan2--I was simply making a comment in regards to other posters who were giving out misleading information. Reason for second sentence! Thanks for your thoughtful comment, though. :flowerforyou:
  • chantabelle
    chantabelle Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I think its what works for you, my cals were set at 1600 with two lots of exercise per week but it just didnt work out for me. I switched to 1200 and took my workouts out, now if I do work out I dont eat the calories. I started this in April at 235 and now Im 182 and still losing. It can be restrictive but I balance it out weekly and save calories if Im eating out. I think because I know it works for me I stay on track and the scales going down motivates me, you just adapt to what works :-)
  • tabinmaine
    tabinmaine Posts: 965 Member
    Options
    Anyone can lose "weight" on 1200 cal.
    Easy.Simple.
    BUt I like my mucles, my strength, my edurance and my POWER!
    I cant do that on 1200 calories

BANG ON !!! :drinker:
  • butlera8
    butlera8 Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    I lost 25lb in about 21/2months on 1200 cal diet. I kept the weight off even after falling off the dieting/exercise bandwagon.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!