Options

Replies

• TattedInStilettos
    TattedInStilettos Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    Well you go girl...
  • Junerewind
    Options
    I don't know anything about the people bashing 1200 calories allotments, but I was at 1260 calories for a long time and had a lot of success with it. Yes, it did stink for the first month or two because I was convinced I was starving, but I soon learned that I could eat a TON of vegetables and barely make a dent in my calorie count. Fruits were a bit higher, and lean meats kept my amounts low, too. If you can swap out any of your "normal" foods with vegetables, it'll make it easier to stay under your 1200 goal. Best of luck!
  • Bettyeditor
    Bettyeditor Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    I lost over 40 pounds eating 1200 calories a day.
    When you make healthy choices, sometimes it's hard to even get to 1200.. healthy food can be very low calorie and filling.
    [/quote

That's very true. Healthy food is low cal and filling and I average around 1,300 cal a day but sometimes can't stuff down more than 1100. LOL

We shouldn't get so hung up on a number like "1200." Everyone is different, everyone's body is different. Everyone has a different metabolism and percentage of muscle mass. And even the calories are different. I can eat 1200 a day with a single Big Mac a day. Or I can eat 1200 a day with three meals and three snacks that include 5-7 cups of vegetables, 4 ounces of lean meat per meal, under 160 g carbs and less than 40 g of fat. So just the number "1200" is kind of meaningless, really.

There is no "one size fits all" diet. Period.
  • nextrightthing
    nextrightthing Posts: 408 Member
    Options
    bump to read later
  • jenniferdlake
    Options
    First off congrats!!

I started my weight loss journey eating 1200 calories. I'm able to do it because I greatly increased my water intake. I drink half my body weight in water now. Anytime I feel hungry, I drink some water. If I truly am hungry, the feeling will stay, otherwise, my body was just telling me I needed water. I stay so full with the water I am rarely truly hungry. And I have learned the difference between being satisfied and being full. I no longer eat to be full. I eat until I'm satisfied. Learning that difference and increasing my water intake has really helped me.
  • 12skipafew99100
    12skipafew99100 Posts: 1,669 Member
    Options
    I lost over 40 pounds eating 1200 calories a day.
    When you make healthy choices, sometimes it's hard to even get to 1200.. healthy food can be very low calorie and filling.
    [/quote

That's very true. Healthy food is low cal and filling and I average around 1,300 cal a day but sometimes can't stuff down more than 1100. LOL

We shouldn't get so hung up on a number like "1200." Everyone is different, everyone's body is different. Everyone has a different metabolism and percentage of muscle mass. And even the calories are different. I can eat 1200 a day with a single Big Mac a day. Or I can eat 1200 a day with three meals and three snacks that include 5-7 cups of vegetables, 4 ounces of lean meat per meal, under 160 g carbs and less than 40 g of fat. So just the number "1200" is kind of meaningless, really.

There is no "one size fits all" diet. Period.

very good point here
  • judiiiiindisguise
    judiiiiindisguise Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    congrats! I hope I can keep at it. My doctor years ago told me I needed to be at 1200 calories yikes! My hardest part is when you make stuff from scratch it is hard to figure out calorie counts, so I have to wing it a lot. Hoping the 1200 pays off soon this sucks lol

If you really want to maximize success, stick to eating things that are easily quantifiable.
    need to remember this!
  • Meamo
    Meamo Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    Thanks for a lil confirmation!
  • maddmaddie
    maddmaddie Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    I also eat around 1000 calories a day, I've played with my calories and the weight does not come off at 1400+ calories. I'm sure it has something to do with being short and having a lower BMR. :-)

Glad you found what works for you! Keep up the good work.
  • Millie2045
    Options
    I only eat 1200 calories a day as that is what MFP allocated me.
    I have only been doing it since the 2nd Jan and have lost 9lb already I
    haven't a lot to lose only about another 10lb or so & as it seems to
    be working and I feel okay (no hunger or anything) I will keep going.
    You can eat quite a bit it is just about making the right choices I normally
    have porridge or weetabix for breakfast . Snack on fruit during the day as fits
    In around my work & the same as the rest of the family in the evenings
    just smaller portion. We have 2 roasts a week & I have Saturday nights
    off as the family are out so I always do a romantic meal
    for myself and my hubs :-)) I don't exercise as my job is quite tiring and I
    work quite long hours
  • misseenk
    misseenk Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    hey girl you just keep doing what works for you, and everyone who wants to tell you different can shove their foot in their mouth and stfu
  • CarleneOelofse
    Options
    I lost 20pounds on 1200 calories. I reached my goal and adjusted my settings to maintenance and have kept it off for almost 6months now and going strong....
  • Chadomaniac
    Chadomaniac Posts: 1,785 Member
    Options
    you are ridiculous ...
  • Fozzi43
    Fozzi43 Posts: 2,984 Member
    Options
    I'm 5 ft and I eat more than that..but each to their own..but if you hit a plateau....you can't lower the calorie allowance any more?
  • AntWrig
    AntWrig Posts: 2,273 Member
    Options
    I'm 5 ft and I eat more than that..but each to their own..but if you hit a plateau....you can't lower the calorie allowance any more?
    BINGO.

It amazes me that people don't understand this. The perfect analogy for weight loss is peeling an onion. Most people immediately strip the onion and see *amazing* progress. They then hit a wall. With that low calorie diet, they can't move anywhere.
  • PrincessNikkiBoo
    PrincessNikkiBoo Posts: 330 Member
    Options

I really have to agree on this!
  • AntWrig
    AntWrig Posts: 2,273 Member
    Options

Is this a joke? My "healthy" meal of sweet potatoes, chicken breast, and coconut oil can go over 1200 cals.

Nice try though.
  • invisibubble
    invisibubble Posts: 662 Member
    Options

Is this a joke? My healthy meal of sweet potatoes, chicken breast, and coconut oil can go over 1200 cals.

Nice try though.

Look, we're not all men trying to bulk. We don't all eat 500g of potatoes alongside likewise huge portions of fats and proteins, looking for gains. That said, I think 1200 calories and below is too little. I've lost half my body weight and I didn't eat that little.
  • Maidofmer
    Maidofmer Posts: 908 Member
    Options
    First off, you're awesome. thank you for posting this. very inspiring.
    I'm close to 250. I'm 245.2 lbs right now. I am eating 2000 calories with moderate exercise five times a week. I think I'm eating too much. But I'm afraid to go down to 1200. I don't know if I can do it, Lol....I wonder if I should lower to 1600-1800 like you did? Results are SLOW right now. I started tracking since December 27. I started at 247 then went up to 251, and now back to 245.2 as of today.

Well, it's inspiring and hopeful to see someone who started around my weight lose so much and gain a lot more. If you have any advice for me, please let me know! Thanks...

I'm the same. 2160 I think. that seems way too much especially since im on day 65 and have only lost 3 pounds. I'm still getting over a double pneumonia so my cal intake has been very low, and exercise too. Tonight I ate about 1265, burned 1000. first time actually working out in a few weeks. i'm not happy with a net of 250 and I will eat something, but 1200-1300 seems more reasonable to me. did you cut out like 100 a week to get to 1200? or something like that?
  • cathydow
    cathydow Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Bump
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!