A Success story from someone who eats 1200 calories

Options

Replies

• MissDefinate
    MissDefinate Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    Congrats, I am so trying to do 1200 calories! It is hard! Do you have any advice?
  • PinkyKiwii
    PinkyKiwii Posts: 512 Member
    Options
    The correct way to post in a success thread that does not involve hcg, pills or eating disorders, is "good job, you should be very proud of yourself." With an optional :flowerforyou: or :drinker:

Mfp 101, people. Believe it or not, she did not ask for advice, she was sharing her success. Everything is not about you.

Your idea of success may not be the same as everyone elses + nobody made it about themselves.
  • CorvusCorax77
    CorvusCorax77 Posts: 2,536 Member
    Options
    I was going to say to OP that I wonder why you thought you were eating 1800 when you weighed near 250. Your TDEE then even if you did no exercise should have been more like 2238. I just think its possible that you didnt' accurately assess what you were eating. I did this- when I was overweight I didn't think I was eating that much. But i must have been.

You don't think the medical issues the OP listed were a more likely factor?

I missed those. Were they in the original post? cuz I didn't see them... will pour through thread now to try to make sense of it all.

I still don't see them. WHat are the medical issues involved??
  • metaphoria
    metaphoria Posts: 1,432 Member
    Options
    The correct way to post in a success thread that does not involve hcg, pills or eating disorders, is "good job, you should be very proud of yourself." With an optional :flowerforyou: or :drinker:

Mfp 101, people. Believe it or not, she did not ask for advice, she was sharing her success. Everything is not about you.

Your idea of success may not be the same as everyone elses + nobody made it about themselves.

The OP shared her idea of her success on a thread she started, and many people started in on how they would never do 1200. Hooray for them, they can start their own thread about eating more. They are belittling her success and talking about their own experience. This thread is not intended for a discussion on 1200, it is the OP sharing her success while using that particular method. If people disagree, why jump into the thread and poop on her party?
  • Siege_Tank
    Siege_Tank Posts: 781 Member
    Options
    Personally I don't want to just look like a thinner version of myself when I started on MFP. I want to look like fooking superwoman!!

*ahem* success thread.....
  • Feed_the_Bears
    Feed_the_Bears Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    Yeah it works, but the point is that you don't have to "suffer" and starve your body and deprive it of nutrients (you cannot hit your nutrients with 1200 cals). I'm not going to try to convince you, people often have to come through this on their own. And if it's working for you, why would you stop? Losing weight can feel desperate and this feels like your best weapon. And when you're done, you will likely find yourself gaining fat when you try to return to a maintenance level. You cannot sustain 1200 or 1400 for all of your life, you will be malnourished, anemic, all that jazz.

To each their own. Good luck on your journey. It took me 10 years of failing on low cal diets before I tried EM2WL and found success.

:)
  • Alohathin
    Alohathin Posts: 360 Member
    Options
    Her diary is under 1200...

It's not over 1200, but its over 1100 on the few days I looked at. Given that people usually underestimate how much they eat, its probably at or just over 1200.

There wasnt anything really wrong with her diary that I saw. Sure she's not eating super organic or anything, but who cares? Studies have shown that organic foods are not really as healthy as its cracked up to be, and I am not sold on "clean" eating either. Some processed food is ok, some isn't. Depends.

Really? 4 out of the last 7 days were less than 1100.

FWIW, people often think that because you are losing weight, you must be eating healthy. This is not necessarily the case. There are more health concerns than just whether you lose weight or not. Your guide for heath should not be based solely on whether you are losing weight or not.

Out of financial necessity, I am eating too few calories right now. I am still losing weight at about the same rate as I was when I was eating 400+ more calories per day, but I feel much worse. I lack energy. My exercise recovery time is longer.

I think it's great that the OP is taking a hold of her life and wanting to change for the better, but I hope she at least considers what people are telling her about the pitfalls of such a low calorie diet and do the necessary learning about the science of nutrition. It is not an I'm right, you're wrong kind of situation. Look at both sides objectively, and use your body as a scientific experiment to find out what works best for you...and I'm not talking a one or two day experiment. Give 1400 calories a try for a couple weeks, and incorporate a few pushups, situps, and lunges a few times a week to help keep your lean muscle mass as intact as possible.
  • Feed_the_Bears
    Feed_the_Bears Posts: 275 Member
    Options

The OP shared her idea of her success on a thread she started, and many people started in on how they would never do 1200. Hooray for them, they can start their own thread about eating more. They are belittling her success and talking about their own experience. This thread is not intended for a discussion on 1200, it is the OP sharing her success while using that particular method. If people disagree, why jump into the thread and poop on her party?

Conversations flow naturally and people can react how ever they want.
  • awake4777
    awake4777 Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    Use the recipe tab. It may take a while but you can figure out how many calories are in what you are eating.
  • Bumdrahp
    Bumdrahp Posts: 1,314 Member
    Options
    I'm close to 250. I'm 245.2 lbs right now. I am eating 2000 calories with moderate exercise five times a week. I think I'm eating too much. But I'm afraid to go down to 1200. I don't know if I can do it, Lol....I wonder if I should lower to 1600-1800 like you did? Results are SLOW right now. I started tracking since December 27. I started at 247 then went up to 251, and now back to 245.2 as of today.

Well, it's inspiring and hopeful to see someone who started around my weight lose so much and gain a lot more. If you have any advice for me, please let me know! Thanks...

I started at 245. I am now at 197-195. I am 5'2, and have been eating 1200-1400 calories a day. ( A break in November-December due to Holidays, i stopped calorie counting) I started April 2012.

I say it works too.. just me.
  • PinkyKiwii
    PinkyKiwii Posts: 512 Member
    Options

I didn't read every single comment so maybe I missed that.
    However, if you post anywhere in the forums you'll get negative and positive comments mixed in with different opinions.
    I was just stating that shes under 1200. Nothing more, nothing less
  • JoeyTajzai
    JoeyTajzai Posts: 1,198 Member
    Options
    Same boat. I eat around 1100-1200. I try to fit in atleast 1200 but it's difficult when a lot of your food contains white eggs, vegetables, tuna, chicken, and protein shakes. As long as I consume my water, hit my protein intake, and get around 1200 calories I'm satisfied.
  • awake4777
    awake4777 Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    Easy to count stuff gets pretty boring for people who can cook. Whatever works.
  • zefreak
    zefreak Posts: 37
    Options
    Well done!! I am the same, I have already noticed the days I eat more than 1600 I am so full and stuffed (Those are usually the days I slip up) UNLESS I have exercised, then I do need more (Especially because I am breastfeeding) I am trying to only eat when I am hungry, and also find it hard to get to 1200 some days. My calorie intake is 1800 so if I keep under that I am happy but I usually aim for 1200-1400 as thats all I need as I full up on low calorie foods (Just because I only eat 1200 it doesn't mean I have starved myself, last night I had 2 servings of a salad to find out it was only 30 calories!! But I simply could not eat anymore food! I was too full!) I also find the more calories I eat the lower my breast milk goes because I tend to have been eating non nutritious foods. And the weeks I eat closer to 1800 I either not lose anything or gain weight
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options

Maybe, but she didn't post a simple success thread. By titling her thread the way she did, she created an advertisement for unhealthy eating, a more difficult than needed weightloss strategy, and an unsustainable maintenance plan (which she has not yet attempted).

Look at the number of women that have responded to this thread excited to start their own 1200 calorie journey. We're not here to bash the OP, we're here to tell others that there is a better way. An easier way. A sustainable way.
  • CorvusCorax77
    CorvusCorax77 Posts: 2,536 Member
    Options

Maybe, but she didn't post a simple success thread. By titling her thread the way she did, she created an advertisement for unhealthy eating, a more difficult than needed weightloss strategy, and an unsustainable maintenance plan (which she has not yet attempted).

Look at the number of women that have responded to this thread excited to start their own 1200 calorie journey. We're not here to bash the OP, we're here to tell others that there is a better way. An easier way. A sustainable way.

I don't get why people say 1200 cals is "unhealthy"... it really depends on what you are going for, right? And where you are coming at it from?

like i said, i did 1200 + exercise cals for two years. I got proper micronutrients and macronutrients and managed to go from "obese" to "normal" BMI. ... I'm no longer on 1200 cals. I'm doing something different now. Is what I'm doing now healthier??? It depends on what we consider healthy....
  • shorty35565
    shorty35565 Posts: 1,425 Member
    Options
    eatng more is what got me to 250 pounds. and put me at a size 26W. thanks runmeNC very kind. I lost 5 more pounds today weighing 174 pounds. I weigh once a week also.

Idk how tall u are, but if u 5'5 or more, you probably had to eat over 2000 a day at some point to get to 250. Just saying. Your BMR is probably decently high at 174lbs. I kno you could it quite a bit more and lose if you wanted to.
    I'm 5'4 3/4 120lbs I eat roughly 1600 a day & still lose. I like to keep my weight lose of quality (fat) aside from quantity (losing more muscle than u have to). I did the 1200 route. I'm convinced it made me skinny fat, so I wont say it's ok to do.
    Congrats on your success so far & some get luckier than others when eating 1200. I wasn't one of them. I cardioed like a maniac, so that might have been some of my problem. But I wouldn't wish skinny fatness on anyone.
  • DontStopMeNow71
    Options
    :happy:
    Just new to myfitnesspal and am so pleased to see these inspirational stories! Well done. Hope I'm as fortunate!
  • sussexbythesea
    sussexbythesea Posts: 1,335 Member
    Options
    I did this for 5 months and I found it EASIER because I cook from scratch! some days I ate my excercise cals back and some not. have lost 19 lbs whihc is what I wanted. Just put my cals up about 200 and finding it hard to change what I eat a t lunch!
  • ccostagliola
    ccostagliola Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I started at 241 lbs. on Jan 4th. I eat about 1300-1350 calories per day and ride the stationary bike 3X per week. I've lost 13 pounds in 3 weeks.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!