A Success story from someone who eats 1200 calories

Options

Replies

• sweetpea129
    sweetpea129 Posts: 755 Member
    Options
    What happens if we eat even less than this 1200 calories? I am not hungry enough to do this? And I prefer to eat healthy so sometimes it is hard for me to eat as much as 1200 calories. Should I still try to eat the 1200 calories or do you think I will still lose while being under 1200?? I am at a major plateau and cant lose

Once again I am baffled.... just how did you become overweight and needed to join a weightloss site if you can not even eat 1200 calories ? ...... curious.....

Because she changed her lifestyle and what she eats? I had NO problem eating 2500 calories when i was eating doritos and drinking 5 cups of pepsi a day. I, obviously, don't do that anymore.
  • jchrisman717
    jchrisman717 Posts: 780 Member
    Options
    What happens if we eat even less than this 1200 calories? I am not hungry enough to do this? And I prefer to eat healthy so sometimes it is hard for me to eat as much as 1200 calories. Should I still try to eat the 1200 calories or do you think I will still lose while being under 1200?? I am at a major plateau and cant lose

Once again I am baffled.... just how did you become overweight and needed to join a weightloss site if you can not even eat 1200 calories ? ...... curious.....

This. Which is why I question how accurate diaries are. Speaking for myself alone, its hard to log every little thing you eat accurately. It's a bunch of work. I enjoy the work, it keeps me honest so I do it, but I have to wonder how many folks really track their food accurately, that sometimes its not a case of undereating but rather underreporting food intake.

Yep - I posted something earlier about this. It is very hard to accurately measure so I bet alot of people guesstimate. I was curious one day so I took the time to measure and weigh everything that went into my mouth and I was shocked at the "extra" calories I had accumulated. In just my creamer in my coffee which I had always estimated I actually tacked on 200 more calories by actually measuring it. In my dressing on my salads I tacked on another 160 by actually measuring. When I actually weighed my chicken breast - it was double the size serving I had guessed it would be. I am in no way agains the people who decide to set 1200 as their goal - I think its a good place to start but I find it hard to believe that someone is weighing and measuring every single thing they eat. I personally do more of a zig zag - because there are days that I am full and satisfied with my 1200 or so - but I know that over the next couple of days I am going to eat more so I go by my total of weekly calories.
  • rm7161
    rm7161 Posts: 505
    Options

Because she changed her lifestyle and what she eats? I had NO problem eating 2500 calories when i was eating doritos and drinking 5 cups of pepsi a day. I, obviously, don't do that anymore.

Five 8oz cups of Pepsi is 500 calories alone. One ounce of Doritos is 140 calories, and when people buy a family sized bag and eat out of it, they can eat half the bag at least in a sitting... and that's over 1100 calories. Some folks I know can eat the whole bag, in which you would be over 2500 cals from just the doritos and pepsi alone, and that's not including everything else you would have eaten that day.

See how easy it is to underestimate your calories?
  • sweetpea129
    Options

Five 8oz cups of Pepsi is 500 calories alone. One ounce of Doritos is 140 calories, and when people buy a family sized bag and eat out of it, they can eat half the bag at least in a sitting... and that's over 1100 calories. Some folks I know can eat the whole bag, in which you would be over 2500 cals from just the doritos and pepsi alone, and that's not including everything else you would have eaten that day.

See how easy it is to underestimate your calories?

Oh im not disagreeing with that at all. I should have said AT LEAST 2500 cals a day. Im just saying that its not really a fair question to ask how someone has trouble reaching a calorie goal when they use to be overweight.
  • rm7161
    Options
    Oh im not disagreeing with that at all. I should have said AT LEAST 2500 cals a day. Im just saying that its not really a fair question to ask how someone has trouble reaching a calorie goal when they use to be overweight.

I'm saying something else though. I'm saying she may not have eaten as little as the diary seems to indicate. People usually underestimate their food intake unless they are spending a lot of time measuring what they eat. Most folks aren't using a food scale, even here. I do use a food scale so I am reasonably sure of my calorie counts, and its funny, but some folks who think they are eating less than me, may be eating the same amount as me or more simply because of underestimations.

edits to add: This is why I don't make a big deal over someone's diary and being low on calories, as its much more likely to be a case of underreporting than actual undereating.
  • erin4455
    erin4455 Posts: 135
    Options
    I'm on 1,200 too, and it's working for me. On many days, I don't even reach 1,200 and I've always had a big appetite. I think when you get used to it, it becomes easier. I'm not in starvation mode, either. I'm losing slowly but consistently so I have no complaints.
  • sweetpea129
    Options

I'm saying something else though. I'm saying she may not have eaten as little as the diary seems to indicate. People usually underestimate their food intake unless they are spending a lot of time measuring what they eat. Most folks aren't using a food scale, even here. I do use a food scale so I am reasonably sure of my calorie counts, and its funny, but some folks who think they are eating less than me, may be eating the same amount as me or more simply because of underestimations.

edits to add: This is why I don't make a big deal over someone's diary and being low on calories, as its much more likely to be a case of underreporting than actual undereating.

Thats definitley a good point.
  • TrishLG
    TrishLG Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    When you are eating wheat it makes you hungrier. Ditch the wheat, eat more light vegetables and you will be able to regain control. Being in charge of yourself will empower you in more than just dieting.
  • Trilby16
    Trilby16 Posts: 707 Member
    Options
    I lost over 40 pounds eating 1200 calories a day.
    When you make healthy choices, sometimes it's hard to even get to 1200.. healthy food can be very low calorie and filling.

Thank you! Yes, exactly! I ended up with a couple of hundred calories left over last night and had to eat a big spoonful of Nutella. I'm not even kidding.
  • rm7161
    Options
    Yep - I posted something earlier about this. It is very hard to accurately measure so I bet alot of people guesstimate. I was curious one day so I took the time to measure and weigh everything that went into my mouth and I was shocked at the "extra" calories I had accumulated. In just my creamer in my coffee which I had always estimated I actually tacked on 200 more calories by actually measuring it. In my dressing on my salads I tacked on another 160 by actually measuring. When I actually weighed my chicken breast - it was double the size serving I had guessed it would be. I am in no way agains the people who decide to set 1200 as their goal - I think its a good place to start but I find it hard to believe that someone is weighing and measuring every single thing they eat. I personally do more of a zig zag - because there are days that I am full and satisfied with my 1200 or so - but I know that over the next couple of days I am going to eat more so I go by my total of weekly calories.

Yeah, I agree with you. Well, I am anal retentive and measure practically everything, except for my salad greens, I eyeball those, a difference of 5-10 calories doesn't add up to much, hee.

And then there is the curve ball of manufacturers doing their calorie counts by weight and not volume, so you cannot completely trust their estimated portion sizes when they say something like 1/4 cup, unless its a liquid. But they will tell you what they expect that portion to weigh, and you should always take the weight over the volume sizes.
  • rossco088
    Options
    I started out at 274 pounds a year about 2 years ago, made a decision to loose it and switched to a low-calorie vegitarian diet. I take in on average 1,200 calories, but to be honest I have a hard time eating that many I just generally feel full at around 1,100. I combined this with a fairly intense cardio program. I'm happy to say that I'm now about 160 pounds, down 114 pounds with resting heart rate in the mid 50s and training hard for a road race. It honestly works and is easily maintainable with a little self-control.
  • rm7161
    Options
    When you are eating wheat it makes you hungrier. Ditch the wheat, eat more light vegetables and you will be able to regain control. Being in charge of yourself will empower you in more than just dieting.

I gained loads of weight on a gluten free diet. (I lost it with one too... but that's not what did it!)

Eating light vegetables is always good, but people can just replace the wheat with rice and corn and be worse off than they were with the wheat calorie and glycemic index wise.

edits: Best thing to keep hunger pangs away is to up your protein, however it works best for you. Minimising starches in general is always a good idea, but you still need some starches. Wheat is fine if you don't have an intolerance or celiac disease (I am a celiac).
  • BayAreaBabe1
    BayAreaBabe1 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    1200 a day is working for me! I lost 45 lbs in 12 months and now that i am eating less (and using MFP) i have lost 7 lbs in just a few weeks. i plan to stick with it.
  • SavvyGurl0528
    SavvyGurl0528 Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    FYI, I am beginning to wonder what is up. The lady who started this thread on Tuesday just posted another one. Guess she got "educated", cause she has now upped her calories to 1400. Wonder what's up with this?

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/874312-how-many-1400-calorie-ladies-are-out-here
  • Slimalibee
    Options
    I have just joined the site. I have at least 3 stone to lose. I am 5ft 2" and in my fifties and moderately active ( I think!).

I have been given a total of 1400 calories to have each day in order to lose 1lb a week.

That sounded a bit scary but I think I can do it, but reading this thread I am wondering if I will have to cut down my daily calorie allowance as I lose weight?

Is the 1200 calories that people are discussing everything that they eat all day or has the number been moderated by adding exercise? So for example they eat 1200 calories plus some more calories for example 200cals that they then use up by working in the Gym?

Sorry if I sound a bit clueless- I am! Just worried that I am going to have to starve myself to get to my target weight! 1200 calories sounds hard core to me but to be fair I didn't get this big by eating with moderation!
  • Mcgrawhaha
    Mcgrawhaha Posts: 1,596 Member
    Options

what a stupid question. people get fat by eating loads of crappy food and most of the time, dont give a crap about it. once people make a decision to get fit and lose weight, they get a different mind set, and realize that being genuinly hungry is different then simple cravings. can i eat an entire bag of flaming hot cheetos and drink a case of corona beer? SURE CAN, but, now, do i want to? nope. now, i can get satisfied and full on a glass of water, some steamed veggies and a serving of baked chicken. 1200 calories of nutrient dense foods, full of veggies, fruit, protien, etc can be very filling, more so than 3000 calories of flaming hot cheetos. wow, some people on here... they run thier mouth on the internet because in person they are usually the most week.

"im gone cyber punch you in your cyber eye, because on the internet, i can act like a big boss and no one will know that in real life im a sensitive tulip... hold on, let me put on my cyber boxing gloves..."
  • happyheart15
    happyheart15 Posts: 383 Member
    Options
    Since there are many that believe eating 1200 calories works and you look great...... post some pics... let us see your results...

Go look at my profile pics if you want to see long-term results from someone on a base of 1200 calories. Although I'm still waiting on the photographers in my family to send me a really good pic of me at a really horrible weight. But for now the one of me in pigtails looking like Godzilla about to stomp Tokyo is a fair enough example of me at over 220 pounds.

My diary is also open, you can look back and see that during weeks or months where I ate over 1200 I didn't lose any weight.

Oh and I have plenty of muscle. Most is hidden but my thighs are rock solid on the outsides and freaking huge (probably from carrying my fat *kitten* around when I was so huge). I got a free session at my gym with a trainer and the trainer even commented on them. I also have some concealed guns around here somewhere, 10-15 more pounds trimmed off and they should start showing. So I'm not done yet, but I'm close, and I'm not a frail weakling, either.

I just looked at your food diary, and it does not look healthy or filling to me.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    FYI, I am beginning to wonder what is up. The lady who started this thread on Tuesday just posted another one. Guess she got "educated", cause she has now upped her calories to 1400. Wonder what's up with this?

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/874312-how-many-1400-calorie-ladies-are-out-here

She can up them to 3000. Doesn't matter, as she only eats 700 anyway
  • Hbazzell
    Hbazzell Posts: 899 Member
    Options
    I am starting to realize that because I am substituting such low calorie foods I can still be full volume wise and have less calories then I expected. I don't feel unhealthy when i am at a 1200 net day either. I fill up on Kale and other veggies. But I did lose more when I went up in cals a little. Now I am plateuing so I am going to see where eating more health food gets me.
  • wmoomoo
    wmoomoo Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    the thing is with my binge eating counselor I was eating a lot less calories than the 1200 calories. she reccomended these calories for me. I didn't pick it up out of the drop of a hat. It is working great I wanted to share my success.

Can someone please explain to me...... OP actually UP her calories intake to lose weight, so does it means that when she was eating LOWER than that, she was gaining weight?
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!