How many pets is too many?

Options
hearthemelody
hearthemelody Posts: 1,025 Member
One side of my family has 4 adults, one kid, three dogs, three cats, 6 snakes, about 15 rats, a lizard, and a frog in a 2 bedroom apartment.

What do you think, excessive?

Replies

• thekyleo
    thekyleo Posts: 632 Member
    Options
    not at all, my wife and i have 3 cats and 4 horses
  • hearthemelody
    Options
    yes, but are you having difficulty feeding yourselves?

I think that is my bigger issue, they seem to put their animals above themselves pretty often.
  • pastryari
    pastryari Posts: 8,646 Member
    Options
    If I had unlimited funds, I'd buy acres of land, build a complex, and adopt every single animal from all the shelters. I'd hire care-takers, people to play with them, etc.

Back to reality, when you can't take care of them = too many.
  • hearthemelody
    Options
    Ah, but what does caring for them entail?

They just spent well over a month's rent putting a feeding tube into one of their cats. I am sorry, that seems more cruel than caring, and they again, could not afford it.

I only feel like it is my business because they owe me quite a bit of money.
  • PapaverSomniferum
    PapaverSomniferum Posts: 2,677 Member
    Options
    Pets outnumber people in my family.

It's probably a bit excessive, but I've no problem taking care of the herd and the herd does a pretty good job of taking care of me.
  • vim_n_vigor
    vim_n_vigor Posts: 4,089 Member
    Options
    In a 2 bedroom apartment? That is probably not even legal to have in an apartment! That many people and animals need space. Unless they have some sort of huge apartment, that is way too many. There are too many humans in that apartment.
  • clydethecat
    clydethecat Posts: 1,094 Member
    Options
    If I had unlimited funds, I'd buy acres of land, build a complex, and adopt every single animal from all the shelters. I'd hire care-takers, people to play with them, etc.

Back to reality, when you can't take care of them = too many.

^^this...

if you cant afford them, then you should rethink having them.

its funny.. i want to do the same thing. if only we had unlimited funds! we could rid the world of strays :)
  • hearthemelody
    Options
    No, there is a "2 pet limit" for cats and dogs. The reptiles rats and amphibian do not count towards the limit. Also one of the adults is not listed on the lease.
  • _Elemenopee_
    _Elemenopee_ Posts: 2,665 Member
    Options
    Too many

tumblr_m8epupfAMj1rto8vvo1_400.gif
  • AllTehBeers
    AllTehBeers Posts: 5,030 Member
    Options
    Sheesh and here I feel a bit crowded when my girlfriend and I are together in one space for too long.
  • coliema
    coliema Posts: 7,646 Member
    Options
    My town has a limit. 5 pets per household. They also do inspections every few months to make sure the home is safe for the pets and that the pets are being fed and not abused. I don't know many towns that do this, and it's mandatory.
  • hearthemelody
    Options
    My town has a limit. 5 pets per household. They also do inspections every few months to make sure the home is safe for the pets and that the pets are being fed and not abused. I don't know many towns that do this, and it's mandatory.

Your town inspects every household that has pets every few months? The man power alone must be crazy...
  • FitBeto
    FitBeto Posts: 2,121 Member
    Options

What if they have children? Do they do the same?
  • felice03
    felice03 Posts: 2,732 Member
    Options

Your town inspects every household that has pets every few months? The man power alone must be crazy...

mine also has limits...they search if someone turns them in.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    If you can't take care of them - keeping them fed, vetted, and their living conditions clean - it's too many. For some, one could be too many.

I have seven cats and a dog. They're all spayed/neutered, get regular vet care (although I admit I don't keep my (indoor only) cats up on their vaccinations because I believe it's unnecessary), and good quality food. I didn't set out to have that many cats... I already had 4 (which was a perfect number) then took in a mama and her kittens before a neighbor killed them (I have a sucky neighbor), found home for most of the kittens, and kept mama and the other kittens.

I'm certainly not going to pass judgement on someone for spending lots on their pets. Depending on the situation and prognosis, I would, too. I went through what some would consider extreme measures when my 18 year old cat had kidney and heart failure... I knew she wasn't going to get "better" from it, but I wanted to keep her happy and comfortable as long as possible. And since she was playful and purry up until the very end, I regret nothing.

When I adopt or take in a pet, it's an obligation. Their life is completely dependent on me and it's a responsibility I take seriously. They're not "just a dog" or "just a cat" to me.

Our city has a 4 dog limit per household, unless you have a kennel permit, but no limit on cats.
  • coliema
    coliema Posts: 7,646 Member
    Options

mine also has limits...they search if someone turns them in.
    They also search if someone calls on someone. If the house they inspect doesn't have any "marks" on their inspection they won't check the next time, they will check the time after...if a house has more "marks", then they will continually check every time there is an inspection.
  • 00sarah
    00sarah Posts: 621 Member
    Options
    Lol any. Of course, taking care of my 3 year old may influence my opinion.
  • survivor1952
    survivor1952 Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    are the rats to feed to the snakes? yuk!
    Our largest has been 3 dogs, 2 cats & a quinea pig.
    We are currently "low" with only 2 dogs & 1 cat
  • MightyDomo
    MightyDomo Posts: 1,265 Member
    Options
    In a 2 bedroom apartment that might be much...

When I move we will be in a 2-3 bedroom townhouse or house with a dog and a guinea pig, my daughter has also asked for a bird and some fish and honestly that wouldn't be too much. Now if we added a cat and a few other small animals then I would probably think I am crazy for doing so with just the two of us in a small-ish house.
  • Natihilator
    Natihilator Posts: 1,778 Member
    Options
    It's too many pets when you can't adequately take care of them all physically and/or financially, including any health issues they may acquire.

Oh and if your home looks like a giant dirty hamster cage most of the time, that's probably too many too.