How many pets is too many?

Options

Replies

• JohnMessmer
    Options
    I don't think you are worried or upset at all about the number of people and pets living there, or the condition they live in. I think you are upset because they owe you money and "you" think they can not afford the animals since they have not repaid "you". Unfortunately, people often spend money as they see it and not how others would prefer they do so. There is an old saying that goes along the lines of ...if a friend borrows $20 and you never see them again, it was $20 well spent. Life is to short to worry about what others are doing in their house or why they have not repaid a debt to you. Move on, if they pay you back, then YAY; if not, well at least you will never have to loan them money again (at least not that you should expect to get back).
  • BogQueen1
    BogQueen1 Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    A flatcoat retriever/border collie mix (about 65 lbs) and a chiuahua and a pomeranian mix.

And let me guess. The Chihuahua is the non pottytrained one. Stupid little rat dogs, I've never run across one that actually 'figured it out' that potty goes outside, not in the corner right when you get back in.
  • hearthemelody
    hearthemelody Posts: 1,025 Member
    Options
    I don't think you are worried or upset at all about the number of people and pets living there, or the condition they live in. I think you are upset because they owe you money and "you" think they can not afford the animals since they have not repaid "you". Unfortunately, people often spend money as they see it and not how others would prefer they do so. There is an old saying that goes along the lines of ...if a friend borrows $20 and you never see them again, it was $20 well spent. Life is to short to worry about what others are doing in their house or why they have not repaid a debt to you. Move on, if they pay you back, then YAY; if not, well at least you will never have to loan them money again (at least not that you should expect to get back).

You make some valid points, but at the same time, I was simply bringing up a topic that I thought might garner some interesting responses. For example, I had not considered the city pet limits.
  • hearthemelody
    Options
    A flatcoat retriever/border collie mix (about 65 lbs) and a chiuahua and a pomeranian mix.

And let me guess. The Chihuahua is the non pottytrained one. Stupid little rat dogs, I've never run across one that actually 'figured it out' that potty goes outside, not in the corner right when you get back in.

You are correct! 100 points to you!
  • mattagascar
    mattagascar Posts: 708 Member
    Options
    However many "pets" it takes.
  • bgeer34
    bgeer34 Posts: 135 Member
    Options

I don't want to guess what is "too many" as I am sure it's different for everyone... but it's not fair to the collie mix to be in a small apartment. We have a border collie and they need lots of room to run and they need lots of exercise and attention. Being in a small apartment with only 1 or 2 humans would be too much for our guy to get what he needs...
  • thelaurameister
    thelaurameister Posts: 689 Member
    Options
    As long as you have adequate resources to keep the pets healthy and happy, then it's your choice. Just don't put yourself and animals in a dangerous environment by having over crowding.

I'm currently living with my parents in their 3 bed/2.5 bathroom house with a basement. My boyfriend and I have 2 cats, my parents have 2 cats, and we're "cat sitting" my sister-in-laws 2 cats while her and her husband try to find a permanent place to live so the cats aren't stressed by having to move every month or so. They are all happy and healthy. Some people might see 6 cats under one roof as excessive, but I am able to feed them top of the line food and I make sure the litter box is cleaned daily. It's all a matter of how dedicated you are to caring for your animals.
  • hearthemelody
    Options
    I don't want to guess what is "too many" as I am sure it's different for everyone... but it's not fair to the collie mix to be in a small apartment. We have a border collie and they need lots of room to run and they need lots of exercise and attention. Being in a small apartment with only 1 or 2 humans would be too much for our guy to get what he needs...

Yes, I worry about that as well. She seems happy but I know she has a ton of pent up energy.
  • Midnight_Sunshine
    Midnight_Sunshine Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    Pets outnumber people in my family.

It's probably a bit excessive, but I've no problem taking care of the herd and the herd does a pretty good job of taking care of me.

I love you.
  • kimosabe1
    kimosabe1 Posts: 2,467 Member
    Options
    over 3 is to many because your house starts to stink. Yeah, u probably can't smell it but do u want people in your house saying it reeks after u leave and u won't know? Just something to think about.......
  • footiechick82
    footiechick82 Posts: 1,203 Member
    Options
    If I had unlimited funds, I'd buy acres of land, build a complex, and adopt every single animal from all the shelters. I'd hire care-takers, people to play with them, etc.

Back to reality, when you can't take care of them = too many.

I'd do the same... with pitties... all the sheleter pitties I could get to re habilitate them and love them and just stare at how adorable and amazingly beautiful they are :D

But I think that's a bit much for a 2 bedroom apt :/
  • SuperSophie73
    SuperSophie73 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I have 3 cats and 2 dogs...and I am a foster home for cats and dogs waiting to find a permanent home. So right now I have an extra dog and 6 extra cats...my way of making a small difference and allowing those pets to have a second chance!
  • crimsoncat
    crimsoncat Posts: 457 Member
    Options
    If you are consistently unable to pay your bills (no home, can't feed yourself) or unable to provide proper food, cleanliness, water, and shelter for your animals then you have too many. The rule of thumb I use is "would this animal be better off in a shelter?" If yes, then you should not obtain any more pets and think about finding good homes for the ones that you have.
  • fuzzieme
    fuzzieme Posts: 454 Member
    Options
    too many animals for the space, I love animals, and having that many in that space sounds cruel.
  • crimsoncat
    crimsoncat Posts: 457 Member
    Options
    Some people might see 6 cats under one roof as excessive, but I am able to feed them top of the line food and I make sure the litter box is cleaned daily. It's all a matter of how dedicated you are to caring for your animals.

I agree with this. You can have a ton of animals, but you must be caring for them as they need to be happy and healthy.
  • fuzzieme
    Options
    i'm at my limit. we have a big old fat happy lab, and three crazy cats. out family was just big enough with the two cats, and then we found percy out on our front porch. so now we have three cats. we care for all of them, everyone is fed very well, everyone goes to the vet regularly. we love them all dearly. i couldnt imagine life with out them.

it is hard work tho.. i clean the cat boxes (there are 4) twice a day, we feed them very expensive food. the brushing and cleaning of cat and dog hair is never ending. we go to the vet at least once every couple of month. its the joy of having animals.

but really, i do love them. they are the weirdest, funniest bunch of crazy animals i've ever had the pleasure of cleaning up after :)

Your house is my dream, can I visit? ;)
  • hearthemelody
    Options
    If you are consistently unable to pay your bills (no home, can't feed yourself) or unable to provide proper food, cleanliness, water, and shelter for your animals then you have too many. The rule of thumb I use is "would this animal be better off in a shelter?" If yes, then you should not obtain any more pets and think about finding good homes for the ones that you have.

Two summers ago part of this group was living in an area with a housing shortage. They ended up living in the campground for the entire summer. With two dogs, two cats, two snakes and a child.
  • ElizabethRaeBarnes
    ElizabethRaeBarnes Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    I live in Utah out side of SLC. In my town they allow 3 pets per home. If you are caught with more they take them from you and either put them down or place them for adoption.
    I have 2 cats and somedays I think it is to much to handle.
  • fuzzieme
    Options

John, you're one intelligent man <raises hat>
  • MsYanaBanana
    Options

This