How many pets is too many?

Options

Replies

• ladymiseryali
    ladymiseryali Posts: 2,555 Member
    Options
    I think one has too many pets when they can't adequately take care of or give adequate attention to all of said pets.
  • PeachyKeene
    PeachyKeene Posts: 1,645 Member
    Options
    definitely excessive!!
  • fbmandy55
    fbmandy55 Posts: 5,263 Member
    Options
    1, pets are not for me. One little kid and a big boyfriend make enough messes for me to clean up!
  • Jes_ika
    Jes_ika Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    in a apartment thats is to much. but I have 5 dogs, 3 cats, 4 snakes, 1 rabbit, 2 chickens, 4 sugar gliders, 1 hamster, a reef tank, a sea horse tank, a nano tank, and 2 kids
  • Duck_Puddle
    Duck_Puddle Posts: 3,237 Member
    Options
    We have 2 giant dogs and as far as I'm concerned, that's one too many. Love both my dogs, but i don't hesitate to whichever of them is acting naughtier that I don't need two dogs-I have a spare. Course that brings them both back injne immediately, lol. My house feels like that mosh pit gif. And I'm about to inherit a cat. Yay! Should be fun.
  • debloves2ride
    Options
    to me that sounds like to many - definately must smell. but what it really sounds like is you are more concerned about the money they owe you than if that is to many animals. Evidently something has to slide to pay for all of this and it looks like you are the one! sorry :( if worse comes to worse and there are children involved CPS can become involved. It would be a shame to do that to your family.....
  • dodihere
    dodihere Posts: 490
    Options
  • jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    Options
    As long as all of the animals are well cared for and all the members of the household are ok with them, then I don't think any specific number is "too many."
  • hearthemelody
    hearthemelody Posts: 1,025 Member
    Options
    A flatcoat retriever/border collie mix (about 65 lbs) and a chiuahua and a pomeranian mix.
  • lizzynewm
    lizzynewm Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    this question cannot be answered by number, but by how badly the house smells!
  • Derpes
    Derpes Posts: 2,033 Member
    Options
    Help control the pet population. Have your pet spayed or neutered.
  • giggitygoo
    giggitygoo Posts: 1,978 Member
    Options
    I have 2 small dogs, and I live in an apartment. Anymore than I have would be too many, I think.

Having indoor pets is A LOT of work.

- I have to walk them 3 times a day for exercise and so they can do their business
    - Wipe paws when they come inside to keep my apartment clean
    - Pick up and bag way more poop than I would care too
    - Wash, dry and brush them each every week
    - Trim their fur

Not to mention the monthly expense:

- food (one has food allergies so we buy expensive kibble)
    - toys and chews to keep them entertained
    - pet rent
    - dog crap bags
    - flea medication
    - heartworm prevention
    - grooming

Yearly expense:

- pet deposit every time I move
    - Shots

so...yeah. It's expensive and laborious sometimes. I LOVE my rescue dogs though, and they wouldn't be alive without me. I'm grateful that I am able to afford the monetary expense, and put aside the time to care for them. If I weren't able to care for them properly though, I would not have adopted them. Any animal that isn't getting good care, or is taking over the household budget is one too many in my opinion.
  • MissLuana
    MissLuana Posts: 356
    Options
    If I had unlimited funds, I'd buy acres of land, build a complex, and adopt every single animal from all the shelters. I'd hire care-takers, people to play with them, etc.

Back to reality, when you can't take care of them = too many.

Ditto!!! Animals outnumber people in my home as well. It's me, my daughter, 2 dog and 3 cats. But I live in a 3-bedroom home with a huge back yard. I'm able to afford my 4-legged babies. They are all spayed/neutured, eat high quality food and are spoiled rotten!!! But they provide so much laughter and entertainment, I would'nt have it any other way :bigsmile:
  • jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    Options
    Too many

tumblr_m8epupfAMj1rto8vvo1_400.gif

For some reason, this gif makes me slightly nauseous.
  • EstiloPanama
    Options
    My fiance has two boston terriers, and I can't stand them. They drool, make strange pig-like sounds, suck on the carpet, defecate INSIDE the house sometimes, urinate on stuff, do this weird backward-on-the-carpet scratching movement making them look like a weird space alien on the floor. they are too sensitive to cold, too sensitive to heat. I used to have cats, and I couldn't stand them either. A creature that hangs out and walks on their litter and then walks on counters and climbs carpets is just not my cup of tea either. I am sorry to say that I'm not an animal person. At all. I have tried. Even birds were annoying. So I guess when answering...how many pets is too many? For me, one is too much.
  • Crystle85
    Options
    Family of 4 humans and 9 pets, not including about 10 yard cats(all spayed and neutered)...but we live out in the country and most of those pets live outside. If your house smells like a giant litter box then you probably have too many.
  • now_or_never13
    now_or_never13 Posts: 1,575 Member
    Options
    I don't think it is provided they can properly take care of all of them and give them the proper attention.

People also should be checking with their local bylaws. Where I am you can only have three dogs in one house. Same amount of cats as well. Different cities will have a different amount of animals allowed in one house.

My husband and I were going to get another dog... but now that my mother is living with us with her two we are at the household limit now. My city requires animals to be licensed.
  • hearthemelody
    hearthemelody Posts: 1,025 Member
    Options
    Trust me, they could not care less about the local by laws. Like I said, the apartment has a two pet limit and one of the adults is not on the lease either.

They don't really follow rules.
  • Fitnin6280
    Fitnin6280 Posts: 618 Member
    Options
    My town has a limit. 5 pets per household. They also do inspections every few months to make sure the home is safe for the pets and that the pets are being fed and not abused. I don't know many towns that do this, and it's mandatory.

Wow, I would seriously take issue with that...
  • clydethecat
    clydethecat Posts: 1,094 Member
    Options
    i'm at my limit. we have a big old fat happy lab, and three crazy cats. out family was just big enough with the two cats, and then we found percy out on our front porch. so now we have three cats. we care for all of them, everyone is fed very well, everyone goes to the vet regularly. we love them all dearly. i couldnt imagine life with out them.

it is hard work tho.. i clean the cat boxes (there are 4) twice a day, we feed them very expensive food. the brushing and cleaning of cat and dog hair is never ending. we go to the vet at least once every couple of month. its the joy of having animals.

but really, i do love them. they are the weirdest, funniest bunch of crazy animals i've ever had the pleasure of cleaning up after :)