taking superbowl sunday OFF. yes or no?

Options

Replies

• stellabobella79
    stellabobella79 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    I feel like I'm too new to take a day off. My big problem is alcohol. I lose my willpower when I drink so I'm actually pretty worried that I'm going to blow it with junky food. I've only lost 1.8lbs so far and I'm ridiculously proud of that number. I'm hosting this year and usually get togethers at my house are my time to let loose and I think my friends will not be used to me drinking and eating less. They are health conscious people and I looking forward to showing off my new found willpower.
  • stellabobella79
    stellabobella79 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    in past years, we had a big party, so it would've been difficult. This year, it will just be me and my husband at home, but I'm still making a bunch of food for us. Since I am in control of all of the food, I am making a mixture of "good" and "bad" stuff. So we can splurge a little bit, but not completely.
    I'm making:
    Low fat Taco Dip with multigrain tostitos
    Shrimp Cocktail
    Buffalo Chicken bites (low fat)
    We will probably have some cheese, but I'll get healthier crackers to go with it
    And for dinner, I am making homemade pizza - I'll use lowfat cheese, but I want to use REAL dough - haven't had real home made pizza in over a year - we deserve it! I probably won't drink at all, I'm not a big drinker - and since it will just be us, I won't care.
    Then back on the wagon come Monday morning!

I love the shrimp cocktail idea. I'm definitely going to serve that. I can munch on that and stay way under my snack calories.
  • Alicia7519
    Options
    I'll be eating chicken wings and drinking beer. I am going to log all of the food that I scarf down on Superbowl Sunday.
  • alcski
    alcski Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I plan on working out early in the morning and then watching calories very closely before the game so that during the game I can have some extra calories.
  • corn63
    corn63 Posts: 1,580 Member
    Options
    i have made the dicision to take the day off. Not much of a foodie with the superbowl foods but I am a beer drinker. I haven't had any alcohol for over a month. I plan to workout that morning & drink lots of water. Also, I am doing Michelob Ultra (which I don't really like) & hoping that will help me pace myself. i love sweets so I am not making any desserts. If somebody brings something that's fine. I'm hoping they won't.
    I was going to add the drinks to my daily calorie intake but I am not sure about it.
    What are you going to do for the BIG DAY!!!

Drinking beer that I like because my body will reject itself if I shove Mic Ultra into it. Unless it's the pomegranate raspberry because that's tolerable if you're a fruit girly beer drinker.

But honestly, why waste the calories so you can pace yourself? Drink water. It's about the same as mic ultra.
  • kjf1982
    kjf1982 Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    I may sway a little off my path, BUT I will count EVERYTHING!
  • aj445
    aj445 Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    definitely taking it off. Must enjoy life. One day is not going to ruin everything!
  • Allie_71
    Allie_71 Posts: 1,063 Member
    Options
    I'll be drinking a good beer that I like, cuz life's too short to drink bad beer. :smile:

Eating homemade chicken fingers and veggies. And this crazy pull apart cheese bread. I'll log it all and not worry about going over and bust my butt at the gym the next week.
  • _SusieQ_
    _SusieQ_ Posts: 2,964 Member
    Options
    Life is too short to drink crappy beer. I would rather have a good tasting, higher calorie beer and have less of them than to drink anything with Ultra in the name, or some piss water that I have already professed to not liking.
  • MiloBloom83
    MiloBloom83 Posts: 2,723 Member
    Options
    i have made the dicision to take the day off. Not much of a foodie with the superbowl foods but I am a beer drinker. I haven't had any alcohol for over a month. I plan to workout that morning & drink lots of water. Also, I am doing Michelob Ultra (which I don't really like) & hoping that will help me pace myself. i love sweets so I am not making any desserts. If somebody brings something that's fine. I'm hoping they won't.
    I was going to add the drinks to my daily calorie intake but I am not sure about it.
    What are you going to do for the BIG DAY!!!

Whoa! Hold the phone! LIFE is TOO SHORT to drink a BEER YOU DO NOT LIKE!!!!! I will be pretending my food diary doesn't exist come Sunday.
  • lbesaw
    lbesaw Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    Not taking the day "off" but revamping traditional "Game Day" foods: White Chicken Chili instead of the traditional beefy stuff---pita and sliced peppers with hummus instead of chip/dip or the ever wear-able nachos. And twice baked chicken wings with butter-free sauce..bake them low and slow to render off the excess fat, then bathe them in sauce made from Red Hot, cider vinegar, and a little Karo syrup to make it stick--then bake the sauce on---yummmmy, celery and greek tzatziki (35 calories for 2 TBLSP!) on the side. Portion control and a totally enjoyable feast. :smile:
  • AJ_Pete
    AJ_Pete Posts: 863 Member
    Options
    I'll be wasted in some bar off of some beer that doesn't have a "lite" option & hitting on drunk dudes in flannels.
  • ryblueeyes
    ryblueeyes Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    If my boyfriend decides to do a thing like last year, I will be prepared. Work out enough that I can have a beer or two (or three...) then switch to a low calorie liquor mixed drink (or two, or six...). Making some half way healthy snacks for myself and whoever else wants some:

http://www.skinnytaste.com/2012/02/skinny-baked-mozzarella-sticks.html

http://www.skinnytaste.com/2013/01/spicy-buffalo-cauliflower-bites.html

http://www.skinnytaste.com/2011/01/skinny-baked-jalapeno-poppers.html

These. Look. Awesome. Thank you for sharing! We're having a fish fry, but I'll probably bake some for myself. My biggest weakness is chips and dip, but I'll do my best.

I'm running 7 miles that morning, so I'll definitely have a few extra calories to burn :)
  • newhabit
    newhabit Posts: 426 Member
    Options
    Someone told me this years ago:

take off New Year's it's a special occasion then it rolls into the january long weekend, into Superbowl, into Valentine's day, Mardi Gras!, St Patrick's Day, Easter, Mother's Day, Memorial Day cookout, Father's Day, Graduation, Fourth of July, Vacation, Labor Day Cookout, Halloween, Thanksgiving, Christmas oh yeah New Year's......

See, it just keeps coming, we need to live with them not take them off if we can help it

this is exactly how i feel about it. after a month long of not doing much in the form of changes from December 20-Jan 25, i need to make some changes. I know i have only myself to blame and the only way to break a cycle like this is to stop letting things keep rolling into more "celebrations".... so i'd say if you can control it, awesome! if you feel like it starts you getting off track then don't do it! :)
  • firstsip
    firstsip Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options
    As all of these beautiful people have said... DON'T DRINK BAD BEER. You are better off drinking water than wasting calories on beer that you don't like and tastes like ****.
  • kat1014
    kat1014 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Will exercise in the morning and indulge a little. Figure, I will burn most of the calories I eat by pacing. Go Ravens!
  • MrGuitarDude
    Options
    Peeps in Baltimore gonna be CRYING!!!

I'm going snowboarding for Superbowl sunday. Should be empty with everybody watching the game so that's where I'll be. Some chili, stiff drinks, and burning thousands of calories..... my type of day. But for anybody attending and worrying, enjoy yourself. Who cares what you eat that day. Just have fun and enjoy time with friends/family. Put in harder workouts before and after. But forget that light beer. Go drink a pale ale or something. And most importantly, HAVE FUN!
  • maab_connor
    maab_connor Posts: 3,927 Member
    Options
    how do you make a bowl super?
  • Blown_Away1
    Blown_Away1 Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    I LOVE the Superbowl and I LOVE my 49ers!! I'm making some of the food so I have a bit of say. Recording it we'll see how it goes. I get pretty involved when my niners are playing :)
  • BabyNurseJen
    BabyNurseJen Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    Not taking it off. I'll be bringing my own food.