Has anyone lost weight eating less than 1200 calories a day?

Options

Replies

• danasings
    danasings Posts: 8,218 Member
    Options
    I lost 65 pounds on a doctor supervised Very low calorie diet (900-1100). They did regular blood work and we saw a doctor weekly. I don't think it would be a good thing to do without a doctor's supervision. It is my understanding that you can really mess yourself up without some medical monitoring. Right now I am trying to learn to maintain an intermediate weight before going down a bit more.

One of the things I find interesting on this site is the horror some people show about other people eating 1200 calories per day. That is actually my doctor recommended caloric intake at the moment. One of the reasons I don't post much on the message boards is that I really am not interested in what other posters think of what I am doing under a doctor's supervision.

Also, I don't succeed at it much LOL, which is part of the learning process. I am learning a lot about portions, servings, and the more emotional aspects of my previous eating habits.

It's a journey, not a destination for me. There are more aspects to people's relationship with food than their calorie intake.

the horror (as you say) is not from somebody eating 1200 calories... it's from somebody pulling that number out of thin air without any sort of understanding how it applies to their actual BMR/TDEE and what the nutritional and metabolic consequences may be trying to adhere to that, as well as the problem with future weight gain because VLCD are notoriously hard to maintain for a long time.

if Special Snowflake #1 comes onto the site and insists that she's just fine with 1200 calories and how dare anyone tell her otherwise, you have to realize that most people replying aren't really replying for her benefit. they are replying for the benefit of all the lurkers and those who might find the thread in the future.

we don't want anyone to approach this "journey" without a good understanding of why weight loss occurs. that's the issue. if each individual person learns that information, but decides that they still want to try the 1200-calorie thing, then that's their business. it really doesn't affect anybody else. but if they post a thread insisting that it really does work and that everyone is different and blah blah blah... well, many of us feel we MUST say something just for those who may be susceptible to being misled by that misinformation.

Beautiful response.

I was one of those lurkers last May. I had lost about 35 pounds, but my weight loss had stalled and I wanted to figure out why. I was also exhausted almost all of the time...I had "bursts of energy," but with the amount of exercise I was doing, I believed I should've had more. Turns out that, for the amount of exercise I was doing, I was undereating by around 500 calories a day. So I gradually began increasing my calorie intake by 100 more a day over several weeks. I lost about 1-1 1/2 pounds/week after that, my energy increased, and I stopped feeling famished all the time.

Now I lose on 1800-2000/day and maintain on @2300/day. I still have about 6-8 pounds I'd like to lose, but I'm pretty happy with the way I look and feel.

I am not telling my story to push an "eat more" agenda, I am simply pointing out that it works. And if you're interested in seeing the results, take a look at my before/after photos.
  • pspetralia
    pspetralia Posts: 963 Member
    Options
    Everybody who decides to lose weight does so for their own reasons.
    Everybody chooses the way in which they will achieve this for themselves.
    Everybody has the same access to information on HEALTHY weight loss methods.
    Everybody has the same access to information on UNHEALTHY weight loss methods.

It would be nice to think that everybody would have the sense to choose a healthy method, but unfortunately they don't.

I am glad that I gathered all the information I could before embarking on my weight loss programme, but I would also like to thank the many MFP'ers who took the time to make comments on posts on the message boards which steered me towards the brilliant piece of information that I can EAT and LOSE WEIGHT, which has resulted in an even healthier weight loss.

I have never before ENJOYED losing weight and getting fit in the past and know that this is working. I wouldn't do it any other way.

GREAT response!!
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    Anyone can lose on less that 1200 a day, the question is, is it weight you wanna lose weight or mostly fat? Cuz eating that low will promote more muscle loss.
    Some folks BMR is less than 1000.

Less that a few percent of the population and almost no one that is obese has a TDEE below 1400.

Median TDEE In America is recognized at the nice round number of 2000 for women. It is likely a little higher as per the Geneva study (http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/11320913).

Median.
    A round number. Mines not 2000. It's actually a bit higher, because I work out. But my BMR is only 1300ish.
  • GloMash710
    GloMash710 Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    Yes, I have. I'm starting at a high weight (285) and workout about an hour and a half a day as well as weight training and LOTS of water.
  • Princesa4u
    Princesa4u Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    You've all provided very good feedback and I definitely learned from it, but I can't help but notice the rude tone of a lot of the responses. Is it necessary? Aren't we here to help each other out without giving each other the third degree? I know you want to help, but when people feel attacked, they just get defensive and don't tend to learn from the advise. Just a thought...
  • VelociMama
    VelociMama Posts: 3,119 Member
    Options
    I lost weight (about 10 lbs) on 1200 calories per day, then gained it back, then lost it again, and round and round we go for over a year. I was exhausted all the time, cranky, and felt like crap. I would binge when I got hungry. Then, I lost significantly more (a further 32 lbs) at 1700-1900 calories per day combined with a good strength training and fitness program eating back all my exercise calories.

The worst part of it wasn't the yo-yoing with my weight, but the long-term damage done to my hunger signaling. As has already been mentioned here, it's very easy when eating too low for too long for the body to adapt and for you to longer feel hungry. Well, that happened to me. Worst part is, it never got better. So all through my pregnancy and when I was eating more and working out, I ate not from hunger, but because I knew I needed to fuel myself. I still rarely actually feel hungry even if I haven't eaten all day. It may sound "awesome" but it actually sucks. It is not difficult for me to go all day long without eating if I'm not careful. Intuitive eating will probably never work for me now.

Long story short, learn your TDEE and eat at a slight deficit to that. Eat to fuel yourself. Weight loss shouldn't be a race to see who loses the fastest. Take your time. Learn to be consistent with your calorie intake and patient. Get on a solid fitness program doing whatever you like. PLEASE do not undereat. It's not worth the potential consequences.
  • CoderGal
    CoderGal Posts: 6,800 Member
    Options
    Anyone can lose on less that 1200 a day, the question is, is it weight you wanna lose weight or mostly fat? Cuz eating that low will promote more muscle loss.
    What if someone's BMR is below 1200? Some folks BMR is less than 1200.

This is very true. But as far as a healthy person with no diseases go...or a person who can increase their BMR to what it should be by eating sensibly...the math shows that I'd have to be about 85 pounds (at 5'7). And if we talk about shorties, a 20 year old 4'9er would still have to be under 85 lbs for their BMR to be less then 1200...and even if they were...they'd still lose on that...For their TDEE to be under 1200 at 4'9 they would have to weigh under 44 lbs. Not a look I think people should go for...

Not everyone is 20 years old.
    Pshh, they wish they were lol.
    Sure, but they're not. I'm pushing 50 and at 5'6" and 132lbs my BMR is heading into the 1200s soon... My sister at 50 and 5'2" has a BMR around 1000....
    I'm sorry, I don't understand what point you're trying to make? Many people in the low end of 'healthy' according to bmi standards will be towards that number. I'm headed into the 1200s soon too. Like I said, you'll still lose weight eating much more. Why would any healthy person have a need to eat as little as possible just for a number on a scale when they're a healthy weight? Especially when they could eat much more then that and still be the same number. It seems like a very unhealthy thought to me.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options

This is very true. But as far as a healthy person with no diseases go...or a person who can increase their BMR to what it should be by eating sensibly...the math shows that I'd have to be about 85 pounds (at 5'7). And if we talk about shorties, a 20 year old 4'9er would still have to be under 85 lbs for their BMR to be less then 1200...and even if they were...they'd still lose on that...For their TDEE to be under 1200 at 4'9 they would have to weigh under 44 lbs. Not a look I think people should go for...

Sure, but they're not. I'm pushing 50 and at 5'6" and 132lbs my BMR is heading into the 1200s soon... My sister at 50 and 5'2" has a BMR around 1000....
    I'm sorry, I don't understand what point you're trying to make? Many people in the low end of 'healthy' according to bmi standards will be towards that number. I'm headed into the 1200s soon too. Like I said, you'll still lose weight eating much more. Why would any healthy person have a need to eat as little as possible just for a number on a scale when they're a healthy weight? Especially when they could eat much more then that and still be the same number. It seems like a very unhealthy thought to me.
    I'm no where near the low end of the BMI scale.
    Nevermind.
    a question as I go? How long have you maintained your weight loss?
  • AuddAlise
    AuddAlise Posts: 723 Member
    Options
    Sure I lost 50 lbs eating 900 calories a day. Guess what happened? I gained it ALL back and then some! Not a good way to lose weight.
  • CoderGal
    Options

The people in this thread do not know their BMRs. That is the issue.

They must be short & not weigh that much if they have BMRs that low, or old as I reckon age plays a part? I'm 5'5 120 24yrs old & my BMR is higher than 1200.
    That's it. They are old, or shorter, or older and shorter than you... less active, more active, physically disabiled..their needs might be different....Their goals might be different.

I'm not advocating at 1200 calorie diet. Just wondering why folks are being such absolutists without considering lives and (importantly) life styles that differ from their own.

I could be on the chit chat section harping on everyone who doesn't put 400 a month into their 401k. That's where I'm at. Others may be thinking: wtf is a 401k and why do I care? My lifestyle and my needs may be different than theirs.
    And please, don't bring up snowflakes.
    Who are the folks on this thread being 'absolutists'? I didn't see anyone say nobody should do this diet in any circumstance?
  • EjaneK11
    EjaneK11 Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    Why would anybody want to eat less than 1200 a day??

Feel the same way!
  • AshlieA96
    AshlieA96 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    I agree! I thought we are all on here for motivation and support, to help and answer questions with respectful answers and tones. I find some people to be a little rude in there tones also. Its just a question......
  • _SABOTEUR_
    _SABOTEUR_ Posts: 6,833 Member
    Options
    Of course you will lose weight. But will you lose weight and be giving your body all the nutrients and vitamins and essentail fats and amino acids it needs to function properly. No.

Why do one when you can do both?

Incidentally, this post title made me think about when I was a 9 years old and had gastro-enteritis and I lost 21 pound in 13 days. So I lost the weight, but would anyone think this was a good diet plan? I seriously hope not. That is basically how I feel when people suggest sub 1200 cal diets unless they have been proscribed by a medical professional.
  • wahmx3
    wahmx3 Posts: 646 Member
    Options
    I lift as much as I can and I have a calorie goal of net 800 cals. I've lost 31 lbs in 4 months. (I'm plateauing right now - I tried increasing my caloric intake as per the EM2WL's mantra of stupidity and it did nothing so I put myself back to 800 cals today actually)
    Not surprising that you are plateauing.... do your heart, lungs, brain and every other muscle and organ a favor and start eating right. There is no way you are giving your body adequate nutrition at that level. What will happen when you start to eat more, you will more than likely gain the weight back. I would prefer to keep my muscle and my entire body fully functioning and lose the weight for the long term.
  • LuciaLongIsland
    LuciaLongIsland Posts: 815 Member
    Options
    I am a bit older. I checked with 3 of my doctors and was told to eat 1000 calories a day to lose. If I eat 1200 I gain weight Much of it is age. In my 30's..40's I lost so easy. Now at 60 it is difficult.

I'll be 55 in March of this year. Still losing. I eat between 1700 and 1800 every day. It is possible.

Everyone is different. If I ate that much I would be obese. At 55 I could eat anything. Something happened at 60/ Well I did get very sick at 57. Oh yes, I was in ICU for a month. As I said everyone is different and I consulted with 3 doctors.
  • CoderGal
    Options

I'm no where near the low end of the BMI scale.
    Nevermind.
    a question as I go? How long have you maintained your weight loss?
    Nevermind what?

Ow. I didn't know this was a competition. If I get the 'right' number do I win a prize? Is there a magic 'right' number? If someone maintains a loss for longer then someone else does that mean they're healthier? If someone is skinnier then someone else does that mean they know more about weight loss? Does it say anything at all?

The answer btw is I'm currently trying to gain. I got down to my original weight and felt pretty flabby so I started incorporating more exercise and weights. My goals have changed. My current goal is to keep my measurements the same but to have abs, I assume that can only happen with a weight increase.
  • leomentlines
    leomentlines Posts: 440 Member
    Options
    The main reason I'm not a huge fan of 1200 or lower calorie diets is - what happens when you hit your goal? The human body is incredibly adaptive, and adjusting to at least 600 calories more a day might cause you to gain, because its had to get by on the low amount of calories for so long. ive been eating 1500, plus more on strength days, and have still seen weight loss.

i guess what I'm getting at is, why go so extreme for weight loss? As long as you have a deficit from TDEE, you will lose weight. A more moderate cut from TDEE (15-25%) is much more sustainable than an extreme one (30%+ or less than BMR).

Nonetheless, its your body. I wish you the best of luck either way.
  • almc170
    almc170 Posts: 1,093 Member
    Options

Less that a few percent of the population and almost no one that is obese has a TDEE below 1400.

Median TDEE In America is recognized at the nice round number of 2000 for women. It is likely a little higher as per the Geneva study (http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/11320913).

Median.
    A round number. Mines not 2000. It's actually a bit higher, because I work out. But my BMR is only 1300ish.
    Not sure what you're getting at? A deficit is typically calculated from TDEE, not BMR. For example, my BMR is around 1500 (I'm tall), but my TDEE is roughly 2300. To lose a pound a week, I would figure 2300-500=1800.
  • NadDrew
    NadDrew Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    Everybody who decides to lose weight does so for their own reasons.
    Everybody chooses the way in which they will achieve this for themselves.
    Everybody has the same access to information on HEALTHY weight loss methods.
    Everybody has the same access to information on UNHEALTHY weight loss methods.

It would be nice to think that everybody would have the sense to choose a healthy method, but unfortunately they don't.

I am glad that I gathered all the information I could before embarking on my weight loss programme, but I would also like to thank the many MFP'ers who took the time to make comments on posts on the message boards which steered me towards the brilliant piece of information that I can EAT and LOSE WEIGHT, which has resulted in an even healthier weight loss.

I have never before ENJOYED losing weight and getting fit in the past and know that this is working. I wouldn't do it any other way.

I like the way your thinking, we seems to have the same weight loss goal.
  • apocalypsepwnie
    Options
    I am eating around 1200 cal a day and I am losing about 1 pound per week.
    I was the same. And then I started losing on netting 1700 calories a day. Hurray.
    It all depends what you eat.
    Scientifically, if you are saying losing weight depends on what you eat, this is an incorrect statement. See twinky diet study done by a professor for example. Or any other study that involved counting calories. Nobody repeatedly gains weight when they eat less then they expend. It's never been proven.
    I mean I could easily have my 1200 with one meal, but that is not the sense.
    Why is this 'not the sense'?
    I am not starving, I am never hungry, like this grumbling noise in my stomach, I am drinking lots of fluids, it does not have to be water, that is nonsense, I drink tea, coffee or make my own soda with my Sodastream machine.
    Seriously, meet a anorexic or someone else deprived of food for a period of time...they can fill up on very littlle calories also. I felt the same way when I was eating 1200.
    And as a blender I use my NINJA.
    why do you keep mentioning blenders? Do you think they make you lose weight? Why do you think this?
    I am not a big fan of exercising, but if I do I have some extra calories to eat, which could be anything low fat, low sugar.
    Well that explains a whole lot right there, you're not after health, you're after skinnier, which isn't necessarily in shape. And why does it have to be low fat and low sugar? Do you realize you don't absorb many of the nutrients you eat unless you get enough fat in your diet (many of them are fat soluble). Also why are you avoiding sugar? If it weren't for sugar, you'd be dead. Sugar gives the body energy. Actually, it is the only source of energy for the brain and red blood cells. Yay simple carbohydrates. The central nervous system requires glucose as its primary fuel. I think instead of people fearing particular things they should learn more about them.

omg I heart you.
This discussion has been closed.