Almond milk, Soy milk, Rice milk, cow milk?!

Options
What kind of milk do you guys drink, and why?
I'm trying to figure out which is best for someone trying to losing weight. For the past year or so, I've drank almond milk, mainly because that's all my mom buys (she's vegan) and i don't have much of a preference. But i'm a little curious if i should have a preference for weight loss reasons. what do you think?!

Replies

• rm7161
    rm7161 Posts: 505
    Options
    What kind of milk do you guys drink, and why?
    I'm trying to figure out which is best for someone trying to losing weight. For the past year or so, I've drank almond milk, mainly because that's all my mom buys (she's vegan) and i don't have much of a preference. But i'm a little curious if i should have a preference for weight loss reasons. what do you think?!

Depends.

I like cow milk for the calcium and protein.

I like coconut milk for the medium chain fatty acids, which are good fats for exercise recovery.

Both find their way into my food, grin.
  • janenhawley
    Options
    I'm lactose intolerant and soy tends to give me stomach problems so I drink almond or rice milk and I don't miss the others at all. You have to watch out though. The calories in almond and rice milk can vary widely. Some are as low as 20 cal. per serving, others as high as 150 cal.
  • Topher1978
    Topher1978 Posts: 975 Member
    Options
    Real milk and cultured milk (kefir). Real milk has high quality protein, the others do not. I drink real milk because it is one of the most nutritional beverages available to mankind. I do non-fat because I get enough fat elsewhere.
  • GoTeamMeaghan
    GoTeamMeaghan Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    I love Silk Light Plain Soymilk. Lots of protein and its great on cereal or with protein shakes. I've probably been getting the same kind for close to 10 years-never really cared for real milk.
  • Cait_Sidhe
    Cait_Sidhe Posts: 3,150 Member
    Options
    I drink unsweetend almond milk and skim cow's milk because I like it.
  • 1PoisonIvy
    1PoisonIvy Posts: 886 Member
    Options
    I love my milk, but I have been drinking with my protein shakes, the Soy unsweetened organic, because it is half the calories, and sugar, and I add it to my power with some water and crushed ice, and it almost like a milk shake..........yum
  • Alicia7519
    Options
    I put almond with coconut milk in my smoothies. It tastes great especially if it is a smoothie with lots of pineapple in it. It kind of tastes like a non-alcoholic piña colada. Also, it has less calories and fat than regular milk. I use skim milk for coffee, cereal, or steel cut oats.
  • Midnight_Sunshine
    Midnight_Sunshine Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    I'm lactose intolerant and allergic to soy so that doesn't leave me much choice. lol

Rice milk is higher in calories and lower in protein so I prefer almond milk.
  • amandacowan1978
    amandacowan1978 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    I make almond coconut milk and drink that in my coffee daily. I do try to limit my dairy intake, but when I do get dairy I tend to stick with greek yogurt or low fat cheese. I guess I don't drink much milk anymore.

I agree with other people though, I think it really depends on you and what your goals are. I like that even the coconut almond milk you purchase is lower in calories, but it is a little higher in fat (though it's that good healthy fat). Although if I ate more cereal, I would use cows milk because I don't care for the coconut almond milk in cereal.
  • billsica
    billsica Posts: 4,741 Member
    Options
    Human breast milk is the best to loose weight.

I love blue diamond almond milk though.
    If your mom is buying almond milk already. that's like free milk from your mom. Win/Win!
    Really any milk mom gives is going to be the best.
  • AMS44067
    Options
    I am having a shake for breakfast every morning, with milk, protein and fruit.
    I used to use skim milk, but it has lots of sugar. Then someone told me to try almond milk, so I did, I wouldn't drink it plain, but in my shake it is good, very creamy. I started with regular, now I have unsweetened.
    I might use skim milk again.
    Never tried soy milk.
  • starrchiild
    starrchiild Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Been thinking hard about coconut milk...its next on my "2try" list
  • darlilama
    darlilama Posts: 794 Member
    Options
    I drink fat free or 1% cow's milk usually only on the weekends to save calories during the week. Just my thing.
    I really like Silk Unsweetened Vanilla Almond Milk… yummy, yummy on cereal or to mix protein shakes.
    I've used rice milk in cooking, but didn't really care for it.
    Have never tried coconut, but I'm not a big coconut fan.

My husband is lactose intolerant and drinks Silk Soy Light Vanilla. He prefers it over the almond milk, but will drink both.

Too bad you can't get small trial packages! :) (Or maybe you can in some places! I've seen shelf stable packs of 6, but never individually.)
  • Jojo1859
    Jojo1859 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    I'm lactose intolerant so no cows milk for me even though it's what I grew up on. I love almond milk though, soy milk is ok, and I've never tried Rice. If you're going with cows milk though you should go with something that has at least a little bit of fat. No skim or fat free. The vitamins in milk are fat soluble so if there's no fat for the vitamins, it's harder for your body to take in those vitamins. Just something to think about. I really would suggest going almond milk though; it tastes so good!
  • Queen_JessieA
    Queen_JessieA Posts: 1,059 Member
    Options
    Cow milk. 1% or skim. I have always liked the taste of it! Growing up, my mom brought whole milk and that disgusts me. I would drink skim at school.

I do like Almond milk, but I can't have it at home because my youngest is deathly allergic to nuts.
  • sliceofsarah
    sliceofsarah Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    I'm lactose intolerant. I don't generally drink any kind of milk (I prefer water), but I keep unsweetened vanilla almond milk on hand to sub for milk if I am making something sweet (if I am making something savory like scrambled eggs, I will sub water for milk). I like that it is low calorie... It also stays good for a really long time in the fridge after you open it, which I like, because I use it so infrequently that it takes me a while to go through a carton.
  • roxbox2013
    roxbox2013 Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    I cook with nonfat/skim milk and drink unsweetened almond milk.

I hate drinking calories though, so I'll only drink almond milk post-workout mixed with protein powder.
  • NobodyInParticular
    NobodyInParticular Posts: 352 Member
    Options
    I drink Skim and Almond.
  • Indyimp
    Indyimp Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    If I drink milk I drink it with lactaid as I am lactose intolerant. I give my kidsenriched Rice milk as they are actually allergic to dairy, soy, and tree nuts. Sometimes I will cook with coconut milk, but I have to be super careful where that and the rice milk comes from.
  • Km0714
    Km0714 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    original unsweetened almond milk with my protein shakes and fruit smoothies, skim for drinking plain, or cereal.