Almond milk, Soy milk, Rice milk, cow milk?!

Options

Replies

• neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,013 Member
    Options
    ]So basically you supplement your calcium intake. sounds legit.

"Cow's milk is the most nutritious drink that has EVER existed, and you need it if you are going to be strong and healthy!"
    - This message has been brought to you by The Dairy Industry

lolzzzzz

http://www.care2.com/greenliving/harvard-declares-dairy-not-part-of-healthy-diet.html
    Do you know what study Harvard is talking about, I do. The connection to a possible increase in protate cancer was from calcium. The study was by the American Journal of Epidemiology where they studied different dietary patterns from food questionnaires of about 300,000 people over time. What they found was consuming large quantities of calcium heightened the risk of prostate cancer and people that consumed more than 2 glasses of skimmed milk had a 23% increase compared to people that drank little to no skim milk. Harvard in their wisdom came to the definitive conclusion that milk causes prostate cancer and shouldn't be consumed, they also said the other reason was because of the saturated fat, and I guess they forgot skim milk doesn't have fat. The American Journal of Epidemiology also said they found no link to prostate cancer from overall dairy consumption, just skim milk.

Epidemiology studies at best should be data that furthers asks questions simply because there is no direct cause and effect only correlations......basically epidemiology studies if taken verbatim as proof leaves a lot to be desired to someones understanding of studies in general, and Harvard are famous for these studies, they love them and the fact that Harvards food pyramid doesn't have dairy and the fact that it was calcium in skim milk that was implicated that the confirmation biased with the Harvard seal of approval would somehow except them from criticism is comical. Good for the anti dairy crowd though, they heard all they needed to hear.
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,013 Member
    Options
    Harvards food pyramid doesn't have dairy

I was wrong they do include dairy, which contradicts their statement that milk is not part of a healthy diet. I thought their interpretation of consuming more whole grains was interesting calling for more whole grain rice, whole wheat bread and whole wheat pasta and to limit white bread and white rice. Calling for more vegetables was good but they also said potatoes and french fries don't count, lol I can't believe they actually said that. Who thinks this sht up.
  • glitteredgrave
    glitteredgrave Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    Almond milk because I'm vegan, and it doesn't have that "soy aftertaste"
  • Jesse_Hunter
    Jesse_Hunter Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    Harvards food pyramid doesn't have dairy

I was wrong they do include dairy, which contradicts their statement that milk is not part of a healthy diet. I thought their interpretation of consuming more whole grains was interesting calling for more whole grain rice, whole wheat bread and whole wheat pasta and to limit white bread and white rice. Calling for more vegetables was good but they also said potatoes and french fries don't count, lol I can't believe they actually said that. Who thinks this sht up.

I'm not going to hijack this thread with anti-dairy talk. I'm also not dogmatic towards dairy consumption to a point that is over the top or I go out of my way to spread "anti-dairy propaganda". However, I just posted the Harvard article as a quick example. There are probably 100+ other sources (not linked to the dairy industry) who have found many negative effects of dairy consumption. Articles and studies aside, dairy consumption doesn't really fit into an evolutionary perspective, this is why I feel the way I do, personally. I encourage everyone to make their own decision and do their own research into it, for sure.

Obviously, the "french fries don't count" comment on the chart is a joke directed at eating fast food for health...
  • Jojo1859
    Jojo1859 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    I like cow milk...don't really care that everyone says it will kill you. Every product has haters, and it is a free world so hate away. There are as many websites that say cow's milk is good for you as there are one's that say it is bad, and they all claim to be the absolute truth....honestly, whatever....from what I have learned in life 98% of the world is wrong anyway.

I know that I am getting calcium, healthy fats, protein, and vitamins from milk. I do like chocolate Soy and Almond milks though. I don't particularly Soy and Almond milks any other way, but I was raised on cow's milk so it is probably because of the lack of exposure to it.

That being said, do what -YOU- think is good. Research for yourself and make your own decision on it. If you just use the forums here, then you won't get a good answer because everyone will be bickering on who is right or wrong.

Last 3 sentences: Best advice anyone could give!
  • jadedone
    jadedone Posts: 2,449 Member
    Options
    At home I have almond milk (and I have tried coconut milk). Because it is shelf stable, neutral tasting and last forever in the fridge. I use it in smoothies or tea, so it takes me weeks to finish a carton.

When I am out, I have 2% in my lattes, whole in my cappuccinos (they are so small, it isn't worth it to get 2%). There is a new vegan coffee place near my house, so I get almond milk there.

Occasionally I have soy, but I don't like the taste. Usually only if I am congested and I don't want the phlegm to build with the lactose.

I think almond is great. It is creamy, tastes yummy, and the unsweetened only has 40 calories.
  • ElGatoBB
    Options
    Cow milk, skimmed - whole milk make me gag, we never had it when I was growing up, so I was never used to it.

Why? Because I love coffee, and my stomach gets upset if I drink black coffee. Milk seems to stop that, but I don't know why.

I can't drink soy or almond milk anymore because of my thyroid. I tried coconut milk but it made me terribly sick. It was scary, and it's sad, because I love coconut and use it a lot, especially for baking. Rice milk is not for me.

That said, I don't think dairy is "good for you." To some of us it can taste good, but I am not sure humans need dairy. My endo has set me a limit of two servings of total dairy (like two cups of milk) per day. We'll see.

On a side note: I used to be a cheese addict, but I weaned myself out of liking cheese in about a month of total abstinence. It was a fun challenge with a vegan friend, and now I can stroll around the cheese aisle and think 'meh.' I can still have some, but I don't find it exciting.
  • MorgueBabe
    MorgueBabe Posts: 1,188 Member
    Options
    I drink Hemp and Rice.
  • garlic7girl
    garlic7girl Posts: 2,236 Member
    Options
    What kind of milk do you guys drink, and why?
    what do you think?!

Well, I buy the other milks because we really don't need cow's milk...nothing wrong with it we just don't 'need it' but any milk is good I believe as long as you watch the portion size. I think whole cow's milk has unnecessary fat if you are just drinking for pleasure but if cooking I can see using it in recipes.
    I guess for me the bottom line is calorie/fat content/taste and of course nutritional value. I like soy and almond milk. I want to attempt to try goats milk.
  • bellevie86
    bellevie86 Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    Cow's milk is for cows.

I also get my calcium from leafy greens.

Yes it is. I don't mind the taste of milk but the nutrients I get from it are not worth everything else that comes along. I use Blue Diamond unsweetened Vanilla for my shakes, and i looooooove their chocolate milk version too, but it's just a treat since it's 140 cals/cup.

There is just as much calcium in a cup of broccoli than a cup of milk!
  • VegKellyRN
    VegKellyRN Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I haven't drank cows milk in years. Soy milk, almond milk, coconut milk....ALL usually have more calcium and vitamin D than cows milk. The cows milk is so processed that all of those things are added during processing anyway...you're not getting the "real deal" nutrient either way.

It's best to go for the unsweetened "milks." I prefer unsweetened almond milk...very low in calories and all the nutrients benefits of cows milk.
  • IkirPaulson
    IkirPaulson Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    Women have to be careful about too much processed soy because it boosts certain female hormones that are linked to breast cancer. NO, soy milk does not give you breast cancer but in some people it increases progestins and studies have shown that some women with breast cancer have high levels of progestin. It is not cause and effect, it is just a link.

Almond milk is very healthy because of the protein.

Coconut milk has great flavor but can be very high in fat.

Cow milk has A LOT of sugar and naturally occurring cow hormones to make their calfs grow quickly. As a kid I drank a gallon of milk every few days. My sisters did not. I suffered from SEVERE acne. My sisters did not. I am curious to find out if there are any other cow milk fans who suffered from abnormally large amounts of acne.

A doctor I know who specializes in holistic medicine recommended organic goats milk. Personally I do not like the taste of goats milk, so I no longer drink animal milk and just eat calcium-rich foods.
  • AMS44067
    Options
    Women have to be careful about too much processed soy because it boosts certain female hormones that are linked to breast cancer. NO, soy milk does not give you breast cancer but in some people it increases progestins and studies have shown that some women with breast cancer have high levels of progestin. It is not cause and effect, it is just a link.

Cow milk has A LOT of sugar and naturally occurring cow hormones to make their calfs grow quickly. As a kid I drank a gallon of milk every few days. My sisters did not. I suffered from SEVERE acne. My sisters did not. I am curious to find out if there are any other cow milk fans who suffered from abnormally large amounts of acne.

A doctor I know who specializes in holistic medicine recommended organic goats milk. Personally I do not like the taste of goats milk, so I no longer drink animal milk and just eat calcium-rich foods.
  • AMS44067
    Options

Interesting the possible connection between cow milk and acne. I had acne as a teenager, and of course 40-50 years ago milk was what kids got to rink, and back then there was only full fat milk, at least where I grew up.
    My husband used to drink a lot of milk when he was a kid, he had bad acne.
    It would explain a lot.
  • tifferz_91
    tifferz_91 Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    I make own nut milks:

❤ pecan milk

❤ walnut milk

❤ almond milk

I also make them into creams, ice cream, condensed, & any variety flavors.

I personally HATE the taste of cow milk, soy milk, rice milk, & oat milk :sick:
  • siqiniq
    siqiniq Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    Cow milk. I like the taste and the calcium. If I don't eat something dairy every day, my legs cramp and keep me awake at night. In this country there are no labeling requirements on food, so I have no idea what percentage of my milk is fat, but the carton does say "part skim" and "extra calcium". The milk has a thicker texture than the milk I was accustomed to in Canada. It is shelf stable and sold in one litre containers, and many brands are sold sweetened. I've found one brand that I like, can drink plain, and does not have sugar added.
  • underthecherrytree
    underthecherrytree Posts: 532 Member
    Options
    Silk unsweetened Almond Milk. Absolutely delicious!
  • majica8
    majica8 Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    Semi skimmed cows milk.
    I tried Alpro unsweetened almond milk yesterday but I wasn't a fan. Just a slightly odd after taste, even with cereal.
  • kmartinixx
    kmartinixx Posts: 197
    Options
    I've never used Rice Milk, but I use all the other three. Soy milk and Almond milk for smoothies (I alternate), and regular milk for cereal and coffee (because it tastes better to me, and sometimes I just like to have a glass)!