Almond milk, Soy milk, Rice milk, cow milk?!

Options

Replies

• mfoy94
    mfoy94 Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    Soy milk 110%. I am mildly lactose intolerant, so the dairy I do eat its used for ice cream and yogurt in small portions because otherwise I will get sick. Soy milk has a longer "shelf life" for people like me who only consume in every few days with cereal.

Also the thought of "pure milk from a cow" creeps me out a little tbh. If I think about it too much when I am eating dairy I wont be able to finish :P

edit: Vanilla flavored because yum.
  • LindseyAlyssa
    Options
    The only time I drink a "milk" product is with my protein powder and I use Almond Milk, and I've just started eating yogurt (not fat free). I tend to get my calcium either in supplement form or through veggies.
  • G__Force
    G__Force Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    Mostly I drink 2% milk, I also drink almond milk if i need a few less calories, but I miss the protein thats in real milk.
  • mfoy94
    mfoy94 Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    The only time I drink a "milk" product is with my protein powder and I use Almond Milk, and I've just started eating yogurt (not fat free). I tend to get my calcium either in supplement form or through veggies.

what veggies are you eating that fulfill your calcium need?
  • ladyrider55
    ladyrider55 Posts: 316 Member
    Options
    Silk Original Soymilk Lite. It's the only kind I drink :happy:
  • LindseyAlyssa
    Options

You can eat spinach, collard greens, broccoli, celery...
    You can also get calcium from almonds and oranges.
    Google will probably be able to help you better than I can :)
    I use Adora calcium disks to get me to my first 50% and then go from there.
  • LemonMint6
    Options
    Just discovered almond milk and I LOVE it. I drink Silk, Organic, Unsweetened, Vanilla Almond Milk. I specifically drink it for the calcium it provides me, and I drink it plain, or I add protein powder, etc... to it.

I'm going off dairy, I was allergic as a baby, then it was fine, and I think I'm finding that allergy again... is that possible? Anyways... Almond, it's awesome.
  • Jesse_Hunter
    Jesse_Hunter Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    Cow's milk is for cows.

I also get my calcium from leafy greens.
  • Lyadeia
    Lyadeia Posts: 4,603 Member
    Options
    What kind of milk do you guys drink, and why?
    I'm trying to figure out which is best for someone trying to losing weight. For the past year or so, I've drank almond milk, mainly because that's all my mom buys (she's vegan) and i don't have much of a preference. But i'm a little curious if i should have a preference for weight loss reasons. what do you think?!

If you are not allergic to any of them and any of them fit into your calorie deficit goals, then pick the one you like the best for weight loss.

People tend to choose other varieties of "milk" based on health reasons, but weight loss depends on a calorie deficit.

I prefer cow's milk because the other's listed tend to be void of protein...but you can lose weight drinking cow's, almond, soy, rice, coconut, or any other kind of milk as long as you don't have more than your calorie limit.
  • sgtdub555
    sgtdub555 Posts: 692
    Options
    I like almond milk
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 9,994 Member
    Options

So basically you supplement your calcium intake. sounds legit.
  • ewalker160
    ewalker160 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I drink Almond Breeze brand unsweetened original almond milk-- tastes good and only 40 calories per cup. I also drink the unsweetened vanilla which is also good.
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options
    I have trouble digesting casein (milk protein) so I drink almond milk - the unsweetened kind doesn't have much protein, but it's got less sugar (like none) and more calcium than cow's milk. I love to cook my oatmeal with it! I don't know what soy tastes like by itself. I've only had it at Starbucks in hot cocoa and it was good in that. :drinker:
  • LindseyAlyssa
    Options

So basically you supplement your calcium intake. sounds legit.

sometimes, yes, that's exactly what I said in my first reply post.
    snark wasn't necessary and all my suggestions are still valid.
  • mareeee1234
    mareeee1234 Posts: 674 Member
    Options
    I'm enjoying Almond milk lately, but not alone. I like it to make oats with or in my smoothies! Or 'clean' hot chocolate recipes. I can't believe how LOW in calories it is compared to skim cows milk. Makes me happy haha!

But I do like cows milk too, but I don't have it often cause it annoys me how many calories are in it, for what it is.. haha. But I eat loootts and loootts of Greek yoghurt instead!

Edit: I also like Soy milk, but I'm fussy, and only like the 'Bonsoy' brand. I like it in some smoothies, but my favourite thing to have with soy milk is hot chocolate. But I can't have it in hot coffee - it makes me feel sick. But I love lattes on ice made with Bonsoy soy milk :)
  • Karabobarra
    Karabobarra Posts: 782 Member
    Options
    I'm allergic to Dairy and Soy ... so I drink Almond milk (which boasts to have twice the amount of calcium as regular milk) but I take calcium and vitamin D supplements daily anyways.
    I find rice milk is too sweet for an every day milk but works well in recipes

coconut milk or almond/coconut mix is also pretty good

I haven't always been allergic to Dairy and did notice I lost a good amount of weight just by dropping dairy out of my diet. But I wouldn't suggest dropping a food group unless you are allergic to it.... I see the greek yogurt is loaded with protein and wish that was out before I was allergic to it.
  • Shadowknight137
    Shadowknight137 Posts: 1,243 Member
    Options
    No ta fan of milk, to be honest. At all. If I did have any... I suspect it'd be cows milk. It's cheap, easy and has a trustworthy taste: goes nice with tea.

Coconut milk? I find to be pretty "meh", but is alright n cooking. Never tried almond milk, rice milk or oat milk. Never will try soy milk.
  • Jesse_Hunter
    Jesse_Hunter Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    ]So basically you supplement your calcium intake. sounds legit.

"Cow's milk is the most nutritious drink that has EVER existed, and you need it if you are going to be strong and healthy!"
    - This message has been brought to you by The Dairy Industry

lolzzzzz

http://www.care2.com/greenliving/harvard-declares-dairy-not-part-of-healthy-diet.html
  • disdatdude
    Options
    Soy milk isn't for men. Could bring about some hormonal issues - LOL. At least that's what I've been told. Both Almond and Soy are about twice as much as milk. I drink whole milk. Used to drink 2%, but I realized that it wasn't really making a difference and that it may have a little less benefit than whole milk.
  • rduhlir
    rduhlir Posts: 3,550 Member
    Options
    I like cow milk...don't really care that everyone says it will kill you. Every product has haters, and it is a free world so hate away. There are as many websites that say cow's milk is good for you as there are one's that say it is bad, and they all claim to be the absolute truth....honestly, whatever....from what I have learned in life 98% of the world is wrong anyway.

I know that I am getting calcium, healthy fats, protein, and vitamins from milk. I do like chocolate Soy and Almond milks though. I don't particularly Soy and Almond milks any other way, but I was raised on cow's milk so it is probably because of the lack of exposure to it.

That being said, do what -YOU- think is good. Research for yourself and make your own decision on it. If you just use the forums here, then you won't get a good answer because everyone will be bickering on who is right or wrong.