Female Runners: Pads or Tampons?

Options

Replies

• BerryH
    BerryH Posts: 4,698 Member
    Options
    Because of my birth control pills, I no longer get a period but until they stopped I used my Diva Cup. It was fabulous for running - I even ran a marathon with it.
    ^^^ Same here.
  • moustache_flavored_lube
    Options
    I would go with wings for aerodynamic reasons
  • LeenaRuns
    LeenaRuns Posts: 1,309 Member
    Options
    I was going to say Tampax sport, but the more I read about the cups, I'm getting very interested LOL
  • igottaworkout
    igottaworkout Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    Another vote for the Diva cup.. it's so awesome!!
  • woodsy0912
    Options
    Another ringing endorsement for the Diva cup!

Not just great for running, It has improved all aspects of my life during my TOM. :laugh:
  • MightyDomo
    MightyDomo Posts: 1,265 Member
    Options
    If you don't mind 3 month injections and hormones taking a little bit more control of your body you could go my path and do Depo Provera although there are some risks that are involved that could make bearing children take longer and weight gain a little more prevalent. I have been on it for nearly 3 years now and honestly I have been so utterly happy to use it. I don't plan on children again anytime soon and as much as it had made me gain a lot of weight compared to most I managed to keep it under control and am losing weight even though. (some actually LOSE weight on this too!)

You never have to take a pill, remember once every 11-12 weeks to go get it done and simple! I lost my cycle within 3 months which some lose earlier and some take up to 2 years but end up with really light cycles that last 2-3 days before losing it.

If you don't want that route and want just a fix the cup I hear is incredible or you can double up like I used to. A pad and a tampon at the same time, it does work but it is annoying doing both at once lol. :)
  • ejwme
    ejwme Posts: 318
    Options
    I use a Keeper (reusable, rubber cup), supplemented with some reusable cotton panty liners. Sure, it's a bit icky, but the liners snap on in place and stay put, and the cup keeps the bulk in check. I also only wear black for those runs - can't stain black. (I wear black other times too - it's not like a monthly funeral run or anything, so it's not obvious).

I use an enzyme cleaner on everything involved that is designed to disinfect and get rid of blood stains, it's for pets but works for this - Nature's Miracle (we have two dogs and a cat, so we buy it in bulk).
  • LeonnieH
    LeonnieH Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    Try a larger size tampon, I had a leaking issue at first with running on a heavy flow day but doing that solved the problem. I still wear a liner just incase but no issues yet. Change tampon immediately before and after your run too. Doing pelvic floor exercises as part of your exercise routine is probably a good idea too :)
  • For_the_Last_Time
    For_the_Last_Time Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    For those that suggested the diva cup or similar, What's the learning curve time? I mean till you were 100% confident in not have leaks etc from using it? My understanding it takes a bit to use them the right way.
  • squigglypuff
    squigglypuff Posts: 279 Member
    Options
    i just sit in a puddle of my cooter blood and weep. for days. weeping.

actually, i'm glad you posted this. i'm very petite and i typically use tampons because pads are gross, but i've experience the same "shifting" problem. sometimes i'll sneeze and the damn thing will come out a bit! i'm not sure if i'm choosing the wrong size or absorbency, or if i'm too small (4'11) to use "grown up" tampons and i should go back to the ones made for teens. i'll typically change my tampon right before i workout, even if it's not really ready to be changed, and then i'll change it again afterwards. i'm petrified of toxic shock so i'm constantly yanking out tampons that are basically clean.

i have friends that have used the diva and moon cups and they swear by them. i might try it if i can get over the fact that you have to wash the thing instead of throwing it away.

ugh, the joys of womanhood indeed.

anyone else find that moderate exercise actually HELPS their cramps? my mom told me that when i was a kid and i was like, 'yeah, right, bullsh*t!" but it actually does help me :)
  • PatrickSwayzesGhost
    PatrickSwayzesGhost Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    Whem I run with a pad, it ends up looking like this:

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcR0PkIhy3VLKZo9xFztLXv0jKHq4rF1eNxBLp0x-PETzbWFW3s4EQ

:ohwell:
  • chubbygirl253
    chubbygirl253 Posts: 1,309 Member
    Options
    I think a pad is out of the question. I don't see how it can stay in place, it would probably bunch up and cause quite the mess, not to mention chafing and discomfort.

I have never heard of a tampon sliding out. You either don't have it in right (which I'm sure isn't the case since you aren't 14 and this isn't your first rodeo) or the absorbency is wrong. (Sounds like you need to go up) Even if you have a heavy flow if you put one in right before and change right after doesn't that at least buy you a couple hours to run?
  • MyProgressISYour1Proof
    Options
    I use pads. I never really ever used a tampon before. They also work better for me with walking, running or even working out in general.
  • KittieLea
    KittieLea Posts: 1,156 Member
    Options
    YIKES. Tampons always, the situtation does not matter to me. I could be running, walking, lifting weights, sleeping...tampons all the way.
  • IamOnMywayNow
    IamOnMywayNow Posts: 470 Member
    Options
    I LOVE the Instead Softcups which are disposable. Very comfortable and I can find them at any store like walmart, cvs, walgreens. Maybe try those until you see if you like the cup option then can invest in a Diva cup if you want:)

The Instead Softcups now actually come in a pack that you can reuse 1 cup for a whole cycle! I will be getting that soon:)
  • jennaworksout
    jennaworksout Posts: 1,739 Member
    Options
    YIKES. Tampons always, the situtation does not matter to me. I could be running, walking, lifting weights, sleeping...tampons all the way.

this...I couldnt imagine working out or running with a pad....:noway:
  • AllTehBeers
    AllTehBeers Posts: 5,030 Member
    Options
    I don't run on my period. Problem solved. I consider it 3 recovery days.
  • Lone_Wolf70
    Lone_Wolf70 Posts: 2,820 Member
    Options
    Think outside the box...leaches
  • XtyAnn17
    XtyAnn17 Posts: 632 Member
    Options
    Yes, i use diva cup and swear by it, its awesome.
  • KittieLea
    KittieLea Posts: 1,156 Member
    Options
    Think outside the box...leaches
    AHHHHHHHH :sick: