Female Runners: Pads or Tampons?

Options

Replies

• bushidowoman
    bushidowoman Posts: 1,599 Member
    Options
    I don't run...but...I've gone to a 4-hr martial arts instructors' clinic (with lots of kicking!) on my heaviest day, and the Diva cup held up nicely. I paired it with a cloth pad just in case, but I had no issues.Thank goodness-- I was the only woman in a room of about 30 guys, too.

I wanted to mention that many women who have switched from bleached disposable products to natural, unbleached products have reported a lessening in both bleeding and cramping. Something about maybe the dioxins from the bleaching acting as xenoestrogens? I dunno, don't quote me on that, because it's been years since I've made the switch, but it would be worth looking into. Personally, it took me 3-4 cycles to notice the difference, but there definitely was a difference.
  • fmebear
    fmebear Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    I use Instead cups. They have a disposable or re-usable one. I found that tampons are uncomfortable as well as I have had toxic shock a couple of times when I was younger. So, I have been using the Instead now for about 10 plus years. They can last up to 12 hours but with a heavy flow (like you) I can get about 6 hours. I like because I can also swim with it and if you wanted have sex with them. It is very similar to using a diaphragm. I can purchase them at Walmart or King Soopers and if you can not find them order them online at http://www.softcup.com/ .
  • christinehetz80
    christinehetz80 Posts: 490 Member
    Options
    I use tampons haven't had an issue but a lot of female running bloggers SWEAR by softcup. http://www.swansonvitamins.com/softcup
  • KrissyKris10
    KrissyKris10 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    Pads would be out of the question for me. Mostly because i think they are disgusting enough as it is. I couldn't imagine trying to do any running in them. I'd suggest upping to a super tampon and changing more frequently, using the diva cup, or getting on BC. the birth control i'm on right now has shortened my time of the month. It used to be 5-7 days. Now it only lasts a max of 3 days. It's always very light now too. :)
  • SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Options
    I use both.
  • MrsSardone
    MrsSardone Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    CUP!!
  • erinnstreeter
    erinnstreeter Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    About the cup: of those I've talked to who use one, and based upon this info and my own experience, these are probably the top things which affect your satisfaction with this method:

1) You have to be okay with handling your own menstrual output. The cup fills, so while disposable pads and tampons can be thrown away often without having to touch the blood itself, you are more likely to touch blood when using a cup. (Just as a judgemental aside, if you're not comfortable facing up to the fact that you're a woman and therefore have to deal with your own blood and clots, yo umay want to consider psychological therapy and/or some sort of mentrual cessation option.)

2) Choose the right cup, and the right size of cup. This might take some experimentation.

3) Spills happen, it's inevitable; just be realistic about your level of experience and your body's needs, and you'll eventually achieve almost total spill avoidance. You'll figure out if you need to use panty liners or pads in combination with the cup at different parts of your cycle. Make it a habit to hand rinse your spilled/bled-upon delicates in cold water before putting them in the regular cycle to deal with stains before they set.
  • BettyandVeronica
    BettyandVeronica Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    A moon cup....Is it um...sanitary,like is there any mess when putting it in and does it stay in place even when full.

I don't exercise during day 1 and day 2 as I bleed so heavily.If I don't change within 100 mins,it'll be a complete disaster. I've ruined many a pair of lovely knickers :( How many times can you use a mooncup before you need a fresh one?

Thick Pads aren't exactly the greatest when it comes to comfort during exercise.
  • Keto_T
    Keto_T Posts: 673 Member
    Options
    I went the hysterectomy route too. Best. Thing. Ever. But I had almost grown children and was definitely done. Before this I tried the cryo-ablation where they freeze the lining of your uterus. They dont recommend getting pregnant after this so you cant do it either unless you're done with child-bearing. BTW, it didnt help me much.

As for the running clothes and stains, try an enzymatic stain remover (I think most are). I use Zout but i've heard others use Spray n Wash. Spray the stain, even old ones, generously and let it sit at least 30 minutes in warm, not hot, environment (on top of the dryer). Or allow to sit longer at room temperature. The may discolor clothes depending on dyes and fabric but it's rare and you weren't going to wear them anyway with the stains.
  • gseburn
    gseburn Posts: 456 Member
    Options
    Why Why Why? :sick:
  • For_the_Last_Time
    For_the_Last_Time Posts: 136 Member
    Options

You were warned with the title and intro if you read it all you have no one to blame but yourself! :laugh:
  • SomeoneSomeplace
    SomeoneSomeplace Posts: 1,094 Member
    Options

I am not responsible for any psychological harm this caused.
    actually, i'm glad you posted this. i'm very petite and i typically use tampons because pads are gross, but i've experience the same "shifting" problem. sometimes i'll sneeze and the damn thing will come out a bit! i'm not sure if i'm choosing the wrong size or absorbency, or if i'm too small (4'11) to use "grown up" tampons and i should go back to the ones made for teens. i'll typically change my tampon right before i workout, even if it's not really ready to be changed, and then i'll change it again afterwards. i'm petrified of toxic shock so i'm constantly yanking out tampons that are basically clean.

HAHA omg I can so relate! I'm petite too to the point where I have to like pep talk myself before I put it in because it's painful lol and they've seriously come out when I've sneezed before hahaha.

I didn't even know this cup thing existed...I will def have to check that out!

Lately I have cut back a lot of running, because I started a really tough lifting program but my runs vary anywhere from a quick 5K to 10-11 miles which would take over an hour. Lately they've been shorter BC my focus is on strength but in a lot of ways it's even worse with that...squats and pads do not mix lol.

I wish I could just like NOT exercise, but when you have it for over a week that wold mean I'm taking at least 7 days in a row off which would be silly especially BC my lifting program is 3 times a week.

I have tried countless forms of birth control BC I suffer from such painful heavy periods, but all the ones I've tried had really bad side effects I just got put on a new low-dose pill that's supposed to help with it that i had to wait to take until I started my period meaning I just started taking that last week so hopefully it will help.

I swear if I wasn't just 24 I'd have my tubes tied so I could end this shi t forever.

Also smaller underwear is something I didn't even consider! All my underwear is too big on me haha.

But there are some really awesome suggestions here! Thank you ladies. Hopefully it will keep them from being an even bigger nuisance then they already are
  • kreuzen
    kreuzen Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    A larger flow tampon is my best bet. I use super or super plus O.B.
  • MorgueBabe
    MorgueBabe Posts: 1,188 Member
    Options
    I'm not a runner but I swear by my Diva Cup.
  • Mlkmaid
    Mlkmaid Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    I would talk to your doctor and go on the Pill, if possible. It would lighten your flow considerably. I wouldn't give up running for 10 days for that.
  • llangstraat
    llangstraat Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    I solved that problem with a hysterectomy! lol! But if that seems a bit extreme for you, I swear by the menstrual cup! I used the instead but if you google it there are lots of options. There is a learning curve involved, but once you get the hang of it, truly life changing!

Agree with the menstrual cup....I use it when back packing and it works great.
  • Gracerrr
    Gracerrr Posts: 141
    Options
    I'm yet another vote for a menstrual cup.
  • jjlibunao
    Options
    On super heavy flow days, I use Tampax Pearl Super. I tried running with a very thin pad and it felt uncomfortable the whole time.
  • Kristinemomof3
    Kristinemomof3 Posts: 636 Member
    Options
    Menstrual cup, it's like you're not even on your period, you can't feel it and only empty it about 1-2x a day on a heavy day.
  • bushidowoman
    bushidowoman Posts: 1,599 Member
    Options
    Why do boys like to eavesdrop when the grown-up ladies are talking?

(MEN have already taken the time to learn about how women's bodies are designed to work and have moved past the morbid curiosity and "eeewww, that's gross!" phase.)