Less than 1200 calories

Options
So I'm sure that this has probably been asked before, but I couldn't see where.

I'm averaging about 900- 1000 calories a day, with 200 left over on rest days, and up to 500 left over in excess if I've been to the gym (my average work out burns 350 calories.)

I'm not hungry at all, probably because I'm eating a lot of vegetables, and I'm not craving anything. Should I just eat more for the sake of making it to 1200? I'm worried about the idea that I'll be eating too little to achieve weight loss. It seems counter intuitive to eat for the sake of more calories.

Replies

• DrBroPHD
    DrBroPHD Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    Are you under 4 feet tall?
  • Chief_Rocka
    Chief_Rocka Posts: 4,710 Member
    Options
    Eating intuitively is a bad idea for most people.
  • CoachReddy
    CoachReddy Posts: 3,949 Member
    Options
    Eating intuitively is a bad idea for most people.
    true.

there's not a single human on earth that benefits from eating fewer that 1000 calories/day. (i'm personally against the whole 1200 argument too)

look up your BMR. (http://www.bmi-calculator.net/bmr-calculator/) That should be the LOWEST number of calories you eat daily.
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    Yes eat more. But not for the sake of hitting an arbitrary number like 1200; it's for the sake of health and nutrition.
  • CoachReddy
    Options
    Yes eat more. But not for the sake of hitting an arbitrary number like 1200; it's for the sake of health and nutrition.

holy crap - the three of us (fire rock included) just agreed on something. :laugh:
  • sbjmorgan
    sbjmorgan Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    Haven't seen a person yet that can pack in all the vitamins, minerals, nutrients, carbs, healthy fats and protein into 1000 cals a day - you're depleting your body of something, whether it's calcium, vitamin D, protein to build muscle or healthy fats to keep your brain going. Keep that in mind.
  • psv1012
    psv1012 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    My doctor told me to never eat less than 1200 calories a day, however,I do have the same issue with exercise and net calories. I average 1100 or so calories a day after workout (MFP has my calorie target at 1280). I have been losing pretty consitantly. I have been on the program for 6 months and have lost 44 pounds, grant it I have alot more weight to lose than it appears you do (I have another 50 to go). I think eating just to reach a number is not ideal. Try eating high protein foods,low in fat but higher in calorie. When i do that I seem to be meeting the numbers naturally. Hope this helps.
  • Chief_Rocka
    Chief_Rocka Posts: 4,710 Member
    Options

holy crap - the three of us (fire rock included) just agreed on something. :laugh:

woah, cowboy
  • stormynytes4ever
    stormynytes4ever Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    Haven't seen a person yet that can pack in all the vitamins, minerals, nutrients, carbs, healthy fats and protein into 1000 cals a day - you're depleting your body of something, whether it's calcium, vitamin D, protein to build muscle or healthy fats to keep your brain going. Keep that in mind.

Take a look at my diary then. My bloodtests always come back fine.
  • MB_Positif
    MB_Positif Posts: 8,897 Member
    Options

They're the three best friends that anyone can have...

Edit: yes, try to eat more food. If you don't want to add another meal, up your calories of what you already eat...for example, put a spoonful of peanut butter in oatmeal or an extra slice of cheese on a sandwich.
  • CoachReddy
    Options

lol you take 800 supplements a day instead of eating. if you just ate those foods instead, you'd lose weight faster.
  • sandradev1
    sandradev1 Posts: 786 Member
    Options
    If you look under the APP tab of this website and scroll down, on the right hand side you will see a BMR calculator. Click on this, it already has your information filled in and all you need to do is press CALCULATE. This will give you your BMR number which is the amount of calories that you body would need if you were in a coma just to keep your vital organs and breathing healthy.

You could also google BMR to see how important this amount of calories is to our bodies. Then you can consider how many calories you think you should be eating to lose weight and remain healthy.

It is true that if you eat less calories you may still lose weight, but you will also lose muscle mass and when you reach your goal you could well be 'skinny fat' and be disappointed that your body does not look how you thought it would. On the other hand if you were to eat at a healthy calorie goal, you will retain more of your muscle mass, stay healthy and be more likely to keep the weight off. :drinker:

I know that I choose to eat healthy and retain my muscles
  • vim_n_vigor
    vim_n_vigor Posts: 4,089 Member
    Options
    You are pretty young. You are a pretty girl with beautiful hair if that is you in your profile picture. I am assuming these are things you like - nice skin, nice hair. Do you know what just one of the problems that you can face by eating too little and not getting the proper fats and nutrients into your diet? That beautiful hair will start to dry out. You'll start to find more and more of it in the drain after you shower and in your brush when you fix your hair. You'll realize that you are losing your hair. You'll also over time start to notice dry skin that just doesn't glow anymore. You know why? There are just things you need in your diet that 900 calories a day just isn't going to get you. This is about much more than losing weight, this is about your health. If you want children someday, another thing is that you can totally mess up your reproductive system for the rest of your life by not getting essential nutrients now. For your health, you need to eat food, you need fats in your diet, and you need to take care of yourself, even though sometimes it isn't what you want to do.
  • vim_n_vigor
    Options

I don't know your age, but if you are significantly older than the OP, you won't face the same lifelong issues she could by not eating now.
  • Controversial
    Controversial Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    *shakes head and walks away*
  • rr0831
    rr0831 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys- I really appreciate the help.

I'll try getting some more nuts/healthy fats etc into my meals.
  • vim_n_vigor
    Options
    Thanks guys- I really appreciate the help.

I'll try getting some more nuts/healthy fats etc into my meals.

Yay!
  • Warchortle
    Warchortle Posts: 2,197 Member
    Options
    It's fine if you like crashing your metabolism and feel like that is sustainable forever. You can have high and low days to keep your weekly average above 1200 as long as it's through whole foods. I can eat probably 1,000 calories daily and still workout normally, but my body CRAVES food when I workout like The Hulk and I bump my food to 1800.
  • fightininggirl
    fightininggirl Posts: 792 Member
    Options
    I am doing the Maker's diet and i can eat as much as I want on the approved list and not have to calorie count. so far I lost 23 pounds with it. I have my diary set to friends only so you are welcome to take a look. from 1/13 and on. I also listed the phase 1,2 foods in my blog here on mfp.

I did up my calories a bit to 1400 calories to help me aim a bit better on my eating calories. If I eat healthy and hit 1200 calories then so be it.
  • CoachReddy
    Options
    I am doing the Maker's diet and i can eat as much as I want on the approved list and not have to calorie count. so far I lost 23 pounds with it. I have my diary set to friends only so you are welcome to take a look. from 1/13 and on. I also listed the phase 1,2 foods in my blog here on mfp.

I did up my calories a bit to 1400 calories to help me aim a bit better on my eating calories. If I eat healthy and hit 1200 calories then so be it.

what's your plan when you're done with the diet?