Less than 1200 calories

Options

Replies

• CoachReddy
    CoachReddy Posts: 3,949 Member
    Options
    If you look under the APP tab of this website and scroll down, on the right hand side you will see a BMR calculator. Click on this, it already has your information filled in and all you need to do is press CALCULATE. This will give you your BMR number which is the amount of calories that you body would need if you were in a coma just to keep your vital organs and breathing healthy.

Something is wrong with this app, then!

It's telling me my BMR is 1358. That cannot be right - 1358 is my number AFTER I take off the 500 calorie deficit, according to every other calculator on earth. If that were right, then my deficit number would be 858. MFP gave me a 1200 calorie/day goal, originally.

that actually does seem right-ish. what do the other calculators say your BMR is?

You know what, I just realized that I've been using the wrong number. The first equation that I used (not on MFP) was the REE plus activity, not just the REE (or BMR, same thing)

This explains why I've not progressed. :(

I can't do 858, though, that isn't healthy (and unless I eat nothing but cucumbers and celery, it's also impossible).

I also used the calculator on cooks.com, which tells me that my BMR (or REE) is 1437. So even that is only 937 after deficit.

This means one would absolutely have to eat back the exercise calories (I have been eating back some not all, because I didn't believe that to be true)

you don't take the deficit from your BMR.

BMR is the LEAST you should eat every day. The formula looks like this: BMR+Calories Burned = TDEE (Total Daily Energy Expenditure)

Then you do TDEE-20% and you get how many calories you should eat every day.

So if your BMR is 1437 and you burn 500 calories, the formula would look like this:

1437+500= 1937
    1937 - 20% = 1550.

That would be how many calories you should eat daily to reach your goals. Regardless what your goals are. (unless they're to gain. :P)

Does that all make sense?
  • Siege_Tank
    Siege_Tank Posts: 781 Member
    Options
    Don't eat less than 1200 calories a day, even MFP advises not to.

IBTL_zps4ce4b261.gif
  • Skinny_minny_mo
    Skinny_minny_mo Posts: 1,272 Member
    Options
    Careful everyone, I think we're about to enter "bashing" territory.

le sigh

hear hear!

:flowerforyou:
  • kikokateyy
    kikokateyy Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    let me know when you plateau. :)

IF I plateau, it's nobody's concern but mine, dear. :)

No, it is WHEN. Plus, why would you take a pill form when you can just eat beautiful, healthy food and get the vitamins from that?
  • CoachReddy
    Options
    let me know when you plateau. :)

IF I plateau, it's nobody's concern but mine, dear. :)

absolutely right. I've been working with people for quite some time now, helping them with weight loss, and in that experience not once has a sub-1000 calorie diet been sustainable. but maybe you'll be the exception! I hope so! :smile:
  • stormynytes4ever
    stormynytes4ever Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    I set my goal for 1200 calories and I work out an hour or more a day. I have been losing at a fair rate. I am not hungry but do have trouble meeting my protien goals even on days when I drink my protien shake with my meals. I just checked my BMR and this is what I got Your estimated BMR is: 1,129 calories/day. So 1200 calories seems right for me.

I find it easier to close the protien gap with fish than with beef, certain fish just don't seem to have as many calories, so you can eat more without going bust.
  • Deedsie
    Deedsie Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    On the days that I have my long runs, I have noticed that if I don't eat back my calories to at least a net of 1200 that my recovery takes longer. I'm more likely to be sore, my runs during the week aren't as fast and my body seems to hold onto more water and in effect bloat from eating less.

I should note that I always eat at least 1200 calories, most days more than 1500. This is from my net (consumed-exercise) coming in under 1200 calories.

It's your body and you only have the one. I would do the research and then decide what you can tolerate. Can you live off of less than 1200 calories a day? Yes. Can you lose off of less than 1200 calories a day? Yes.

Is that a good enough outcome for you or do you want more (to be healthier, stronger, reach a fitness goal, have more muscle, be a positive role model for healthy eating)?

I have tried it both ways and I have decided that I want more.
  • KittieLea
    KittieLea Posts: 1,156 Member
    Options
    As someone who aims for 2000 calories a day....I'm slowly backing away from this thread.
    People are going to eat as little as they want until they realize weight loss has stalled due to their metabolism slowing down.......
  • stormynytes4ever
    stormynytes4ever Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    No, it is WHEN. Plus, why would you take a pill form when you can just eat beautiful, healthy food and get the vitamins from that?
    Because I'm never hungry enough to eat all the food it would take.
  • akaMrsmojo
    akaMrsmojo Posts: 762 Member
    Options
    I truly do not understand why anyone wants to eat lower than 1200. I am not about any program where I am always hungry, that is why diets do not work. I do want to spend the rest of my life eating like that.

I grew up really thin and healthy. I ate a lot and had tons of energy.

You cannot rush weight loss and be healthy at same time.

Follow MFP guidelines and you will do great.

There are no short cuts.
  • CoachReddy
    Options
    As someone who aims for 2000 calories a day....I'm slowly backing away from this thread.
    People are going to eat as little as they want until they realize weight loss has stalled due to their metabolism slowing down.......

true.

something about leading a horse to water.
  • CoachReddy
    Options
    Because I'm never hungry enough to eat all the food it would take.

because eating that little is screwing with your metabolism. that's why you're "not hungry"

and we're not even talking tons more calories. but you supplement for potassium, which 1) is not very effective and 2) easy to get just by eating some yummy fruit and veggies! and those are even low calorie!
  • 5ftnFun
    5ftnFun Posts: 948 Member
    Options

true.

something about leading a horse to water.

Yep. I'm almost 52 years old and have seen it all. Diet pills, fasts, shakes and/or super low calorie diets. They do NOT work. Sure, they lose the weight, sometimes pretty quickly. But I would safely bet that most will gain it all back within 2-5 years. Maybe not all will, but most will.

Some people have to learn the hard way.
  • mfpcopine
    mfpcopine Posts: 3,093 Member
    Options
    I'm a small person (only 5'2 at 23 years old) and I find that most days, I don't eat more than 1000-1100 calories. I work out for about 45-60 minutes a day, depending on the day, and I'm losing weight slowly (about 1.5lb per week) but my clothes are fitting much better and I FEEL better overall. I know that everything I've read says to consume 1200 calories or more, but I see where you're coming from and honestly- my body feels better than it ever has. There are definitely some days where I pack in some more healthy fats (natural peanut butter, avocado, etc.) but for the most part I tend to average closer to the 1000-1100 range. You're not alone :)

No, you're not alone. I'm on the far side of middle age and the same height. I've never been overweight because I've been realistic about my calorie needs. If I want to lose weight now I have to be under 1200. My goal is set to 1150.

You may want to post in the short women's group in the future. People in the general threads do not get it.
  • AmIhealthyyet
    AmIhealthyyet Posts: 361 Member
    Options
    Wow so many 'know it alls' on here! most were nothing short of rude to people who thought different, I now know why I stay away from these post.
  • JustJennie1
    JustJennie1 Posts: 3,843 Member
    Options

Because you can't get every single nutrient from food and you would have to eat a LOT of it in order to reach the crappy RDA for vitamins any way. I eat healthy and get my blood tested every year and I am still deficient in some nutrients.
  • brower47
    brower47 Posts: 16,356 Member
    Options
    Wow so many 'know it alls' on here! most were nothing short of rude to people who thought different, I now know why I stay away from these post.

It's called a discussion!!! Differing points of view, back and forth, tit for tat, etc, etc, etc.

Not agreeing =/= rude know it alls

It's a discussion board, be prepared for a discussion, not a bunch of cheerleading for any one idea or another.

Sheesh.
  • CoachReddy
    Options

Because you can't get every single nutrient from food and you would have to eat a LOT of it in order to reach the crappy RDA for vitamins any way. I eat healthy and get my blood tested every year and I am still deficient in some nutrients.

there's a difference when you eat 2000 cal and are still deficient. then supplementation is useful. but when you eat under 1000 calories and you're nutrient deficient, it's because you're not eating enough.
  • MightyDomo
    MightyDomo Posts: 1,265 Member
    Options
    As a matter of fact, I have. Everything checks out fine and I'm feeling better than I have in years. What I'm doing works for me and I am not going to force myself to eat when I'm not hungry.

Is there a back story as to why this would be healthy for you? I can't help but feel judgemental if there is nothing that is affecting your weight loss/gains medically.

I just am concerned that there will be a lot of very negative long term and some negative short term reprocussions from this.
  • wmoomoo
    wmoomoo Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    http://www.livestrong.com/article/916-eat-healthier-doing-little-math/

I don't know how tall, age and weight of the OP, but try to see what's your BMR is and shouldn't be eating under that especially since you are exercising. Remember BMR is what your body requires to maintain life (not even whole body functions) and even people in bed rest or in coma, they are require to eat/IV at their BMR.

For those that said they can lose weight and feeling healthy eating at 1200 or lower, that works for you but might not be for OP. and yes, you can always lose eating at 1200, because calories in is less than calories out. :)