Why Do People Stare?

Options

Replies

• Alex_is_Hawks
    Alex_is_Hawks Posts: 3,499 Member
    Options
    I get the starers, too. It used to annoy me, but I decided to just stop noticing, and I guess it worked.

I was out with my sister the other day, and she said, "Jeez, does everyone always stare at you?" And I honestly hadn't even noticed, so I guess putting it out of your mind might make it easier.*shrugs* just do your thing and don't worry about what they're doing.

I can totally see them staring at you....
  • tricelive
    tricelive Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    Because they don't see this much awesome every day

*stare*

Shirt. Off.

*stare*

I think you're such a cutie pie, I hope you're not serious:flowerforyou:
  • AlsDonkBoxSquat
    AlsDonkBoxSquat Posts: 6,128 Member
    Options
    Maybe they're staring at you wondering what the **** you're staring at.
  • tricelive
    Options
    I get the starers, too. It used to annoy me, but I decided to just stop noticing, and I guess it worked.

I was out with my sister the other day, and she said, "Jeez, does everyone always stare at you?" And I honestly hadn't even noticed, so I guess putting it out of your mind might make it easier.*shrugs* just do your thing and don't worry about what they're doing.

"Like this" I have been trying this; but today was just one of those days, when I wanted to turn around and "SAY WHATTTT"!!! I have gone thru this my entire life, when I was younger I was insecure so it really bothered me. Then I went through I am just so gorgeous they can't help it. Now it just annoys the hake out of me.........
  • tricelive
    Options

No sweetie, you can feel when people are staring. Like with the instance at work, I turn around in my chair and catch them, because I feel their eyes burning the back of my head......And then they scurry or try to look away when I catch them.
  • ShreddedTweet
    ShreddedTweet Posts: 1,326 Member
    Options
    Paranoia will annoy ya.
  • AlsDonkBoxSquat
    AlsDonkBoxSquat Posts: 6,128 Member
    Options

No sweetie, you can feel when people are staring. Like with the instance at work, I turn around in my chair and catch them, because I feel their eyes burning the back of my head......And then they scurry or try to look away when I catch them.

Well, bless your heart, it was only a suggestion. While people do randomly stare off on occassion, I find people don't generally stare at other people without reason on a regular basis. Howevever, I do agree with some other suggestions that you really could just get to the root of the issue by asking.
  • jennyrebekka
    jennyrebekka Posts: 626 Member
    Options
    This is a consequence of our TV-driven culture. People are used to being an audience that views what is happening around them - not an active participant.

I despise it
  • drob0708
    Options
    hahahaha i do this very same thing . sometimes i end up getting embarassed cause i dont even realize i do it . Take it as a compliment i guess . I have a thin and pretty friend , every were we go , men & women stare at her . i dont think she notices or just dosnt say . i find it annoying when men are with there wife and they stare.
  • EmilyOfTheSun
    EmilyOfTheSun Posts: 1,548 Member
    Options
    Dude...I know exactly what you mean. I have this one coworker who will come stand in the little doorway that's the entrance to my section of the office. He just stands there, looking at me, waiting for me to acknowledge him. I'm like, "Dude, say something or go sit the *kitten* back down!"
  • specialmeandmore
    specialmeandmore Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I get starers too. It makes me feel so awkward, I used to think it was just paranoia but when I'm with people they pick up on it too. I think people nowadays just don't realise that staring can be rude and make people feel uncomfortable. Either that, or some people just don't care; people lack empathy.
  • Redhedshred
    Redhedshred Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Ok my sister in law wants to know why I get stared at every time we go out. I'm tall and a redhead. I figure I'm different looking enough. Don't mind it but do want to ask each person why to see what's going thru their heads
  • Redhedshred
    Redhedshred Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Also the OP...you are very exotic looking. Ppl don't see that every day.
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options
    I have the tendency to stare at absolutely nothing. If you happen to be in my field of vision it might look like I am staring at you but believe me I am not.
    ^^this. me too. I really like to know what's going on around me at all times.

If it's JUST you and at the office though, I'd double check my deodorant, wonder if I was the only ethnic person there, and try to make an effort to stare back a few times like full on copulatory gaze and see if that changes things. It could get them to look away, or it could get you an invitation to take it outside. You decide if it's worth the risk.
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options

I can totally see them staring at you....

yeah sometimes when I get a new friend they look at me whenever it happens like as though i should do something about it. they get used to it soon though...and shrug it off too.
  • HiKaren
    HiKaren Posts: 1,306 Member
    Options
    Because they are jealous, or trying to intimidate you, or have a crush on you.. I don't know how you can refrain from poking their eyes out. Hang in there with that. :smile:
  • Icelandic_Saga
    Icelandic_Saga Posts: 2,926 Member
    Options
    Ask them if you have a booger hanging out :)
  • Oishii
    Oishii Posts: 2,675 Member
    Options
    But if you're looking at them (which is clearly how you noticed that they stare at you) maybe THEY actually think you are staring at them?!?!

Sometimes if I notice someone looking at me, I wonder, "oh crap maybe now they think I was checking them out!! :tongue:

^ this.

As I told a pupil who told another pupil off for staring at him, you wouldn't know if you weren't staring back.

And, OP, like it or not, you're stunning!

Personally, I don't have this problem. Just getting my pupils to look vaguely in my direction (preferably at the board) can be hard at times :laugh:
  • ACepero79
    ACepero79 Posts: 711 Member
    Options
    I thought this thread was about boobs.
  • breeshabebe
    Options
    I really don't try to stare, but if I see something that prompts me to give a good look, I will definitely do that. I saw this woman the other day who had massive sideburns, like mutton chops. I had to get a good look at that.
    HAHA! I almost choked on my cracker reading this!