caveman paleo diet

Options

Replies

• halmase
    Options
    I'm doing the Primal Blueprint, very similar to paleo. Check out: www.marksdailyapple.com. This is the blog for the Primal Blueprint diet and saves you the trouble of buying the book unless you are really interested. I did primal after a very bad experience with vegetarianism. Turns out it was not a good fit for me. I do feel good on primal. Biggest trouble for me is eating enough veggies, giving up starches and finding grass fed beef. I do pretty well because I am in an urban area but also found some good sites that sell pasture raised, grass fed beef online. I try to always keep some nuts and beef jerky with me if I get hungry. I also try to keep some berries around. I do find I do not get hungry even on small amounts of these foods. I have not been able to give up coffee, yet, either. Taking it slow. I would like this one to stick (its very easy) and not be another 'fad' I tried. Good luck!
  • norrisski
    norrisski Posts: 1,217 Member
    Options
    It worked for the caveman because they had to exercise to find their food and what was their life expectancy. Just throwing that info out there and to say what ever lifestyle change you can stick with is the best one. IMHO
  • Health_Gal
    Health_Gal Posts: 718 Member
    Options
    While I don't think eating Paleo will cause you harm, personally, I think they have too many healthy foods on their forbidden list.

While I am not a history expert, I would imagine that cavemen in various pats of the world ate different foods, so there's no one true "Caveman diet" And even if we did find out exactly what the average cave person ate, our ancestors have been away from that diet for thousands of years.
  • athensguy
    Options
    The caveman diet involves eating a lot of tubers, though you do get to eat some meat if you can kill it with a stick or find it already dead.
  • jjrichard83
    jjrichard83 Posts: 483 Member
    Options
    I have read that it is one of the most expensive diets to follow.

I call Bull$hit on this one. You may have heard that, but you heard wrong.

Actually no they are quite right. It depends on your location. I live in the North and fresh produce is really expensive. (So is meat for that matter). So unless you wanted to eat canned or frozen all the time (which yuck and also paleo discourages) you are paying out the nose for this diet.

Not everywhere is exactly like where you live.

It's your health and your life. So what if it's a bit more expensive. Budget accordingly. Most of us buy a ton of things we don't need anyway - or pretend we do with fake justifications.

I found a wholesale produce market. I spend roughly $60-$100 a week (if you include $30-$50 Vega One shakes). Not a whole lot... Also why not keep track of where you eat out. Those Subway & other food joints add up quickly! The money is there - most are just spending it on something else they don't need.

Food is your fuel - don't fill up with crap!
  • AggieCass09
    AggieCass09 Posts: 1,867 Member
    Options

^^^This^^^
    I have never felt better. Also, I don't'feel like I am dieting at all. it is more of a lifestyle change.

what they said!
  • KellyDeitrick
    KellyDeitrick Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    Check out Marks Daily Apple online. I showed the site to our wellness coordinator at work and she thought the information that was presented was reasonable and would be a good thing to try.

Mark Sisson is the one who facilitates the site. He has stuff to sell of course but you can sign up for his weekly email on different topics.

Worth checking into for more info.
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    You need to go and do your research because your arguements against Paleo make it obvious that you haven't understood the processes of those hormones and the effect of various foods on them.

It's presumptuous to tell someone to do their research just because they disagree with you.

http://weightology.net/weightologyweekly/?page_id=319
  • Midnight_Sunshine
    Midnight_Sunshine Posts: 369 Member
    Options

Actually no they are quite right. It depends on your location. I live in the North and fresh produce is really expensive. (So is meat for that matter). So unless you wanted to eat canned or frozen all the time (which yuck and also paleo discourages) you are paying out the nose for this diet.

It's your health and your life. So what if it's a bit more expensive. Budget accordingly. Most of us buy a ton of things we don't need anyway - or pretend we do with fake justifications.

I found a wholesale produce market. I spend roughly $60-$100 a week (if you include $30-$50 Vega One shakes). Not a whole lot... Also why not keep track of where you eat out. Those Subway & other food joints add up quickly! The money is there - most are just spending it on something else they don't need.

Again - so ecocentric.

Not everyone has the ability to just find a cheaper place to buy produce.

Some of us live in rural communities with only one or two grocery stores.

I'm not saying that you can't budget for eating clean but I am saying that paleo can be prohibitively expensive for some people, and you need to be aware of other people's circumstances instead of just thinking that what works for people in urban areas works for everyone else.
  • GlassslippersAndFairyDust
    Options
    I actaully just started doing primal a little over a month ago. I was a staunch believer that whole grains were the way to go, but I am in love with how I eat now. I feel more satiated and much happier. http://www.marksdailyapple.com is a great place to start!

This. I decided a few weeks ago to give Primal a try because it's not as strict about dairy. I had to cut sugar and grains from my diet and I thought it would be hard to do but I feel completely satisfied. Don't let the naysayers discourage you....cutting processed foods and sugar can only be good for you. You still get carbs through veggies/fruit....I've honestly never felt better.
  • monty619
    monty619 Posts: 1,308 Member
    Options
    if u want to look like a caveman... then do the diet.

almost positive that no bodybuilder has ever done a paleo diet tho you need them carbs for a greater aesthetic look ive done the low carb approach.
  • paleo_caveman
    Options
    Ironically I have been doing it for about 3 weeks and I joined MFP to find people who also do it. I personally like it. Its tough to stick to it though.I have toned up and lost some weight and I feel better. However I still go out drinking with my friends and end up at toco bell and it hurts the next morning more than ever. I like the idea of eating meats and veggies because right now I'm grilling some steaks and sweet potatos and dont have to worry. It's not for everyone but I dig it.
  • jjrichard83
    Options

Again - so ecocentric.

Not everyone has the ability to just find a cheaper place to buy produce.

Some of us live in rural communities with only one or two grocery stores.

I'm not saying that you can't budget for eating clean but I am saying that paleo can be prohibitively expensive for some people, and you need to be aware of other people's circumstances instead of just thinking that what works for people in urban areas works for everyone else.

I understand. Maybe try talking with the grocery store. Usually when you buy cases of something - they will give you a 10% or more discount.

So one week you have more broccoli than usual, the next week, it's tomatoes. If people around you can use the food, then maybe buy in bulk from the store, then split it when you get home (not everyone can demolish 30 lb. of one kind of veggie in a week).

I know this is possible b/c I lived in a small town of only 1500 people for 8 months. Both grocery stores were willing to make deals (especially since they were in a smaller town and wanted my business).
  • celebrity328
    celebrity328 Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    I cant say I am 100% primal/paleo since I do allow dairy into my diet. I eat 90% clean and usually the form the food comes as, like produce, meats, and some fruit. I stay away from fruit that has a high GI for insulin reasons. The way I approach it is if the food had a face or was grown in the ground I eat it :) if not I usually stay away from it!

The diet I follow is a ketogenic diet, which just means my carbs are low enough to put me into ketosis (between 1-50 carbs a day) and before anyone starts saying Im going to kill myself or its unhealthy, I am being supervised by a doctor and my blood work/other test have shown improvements over the last year so I beg to differ ;) I have lost 70lbs over the last 10 months and my doctor is thrilled with my results!

With that being said I have had great results with these "diets." I followed a SAD for 6 months and lost a total of 3lbs the entire time I was on it, counted calories and exercised 3-5 times a week and no results. Doctor put me on this diet stopped worry about calories and saw results.
  • monty619
    monty619 Posts: 1,308 Member
    Options
    It is a restrictive diet that requires you to cut out whole groups of foods. By doing so, it creates a calorie deficit. It's nothing special or magical for weight loss.

and yes this is mainly it... also considering less carbs = less glycogen so water weight will drop and be visible on the scale.
  • Health_Gal
    Health_Gal Posts: 718 Member
    Options
    If someone has an intolerance for wheat or some other healthy food and they remove it from their diet, they will feel better. But many other people could remove that same food from their diet and not feel any different at all because they do not have an intolerance to it.
  • jjrichard83
    Options
    You need to go and do your research because your arguements against Paleo make it obvious that you haven't understood the processes of those hormones and the effect of various foods on them.

It's presumptuous to tell someone to do their research just because they disagree with you.

http://weightology.net/weightologyweekly/?page_id=319

Just looking at the chart of insulin in that link... Short term daily fasting doesn't look so bad when seeing that chart! lol
  • paleo_caveman
    Options
    SIDENOTE- I found it reduces your tolerance to alcohol so it hits you a lot harder. Just saying
  • jjrichard83
    Options
    SIDENOTE- I found it reduces your tolerance to alcohol so it hits you a lot harder. Just saying

Probably removing the grains, pasta, breads. I noticed that too on slow carb diets when I was on it. A good benefit I think! Cheaper, fewer calories - same effect