Triathlon

Options
13»

Replies

• emmabeckemeyer1
    emmabeckemeyer1 Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    I've started training for my frist tris this summer. Got a 5K (first race of any kind EVER for me) on 3/16. Then sprint triathlons on 6/9, 7/7, 8/4, and 9/14. I hope.

My plan is:
    Monday - Run, intervals
    Tuesday - Swim and lifting
    Wednesday - Long, slow run
    Thursday - Swim and Lifting
    Friday - Bike and Run, brick
    Saturday or Sunday - Swim and lifting (need a day off somewhere, it's usually one of the weekend days)

Biking is by FAR my strongest, so I'm not as concerned with it right now.
    GREAT!!! You will do great!!
  • ossiary
    ossiary Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    So many enthusiastic people, and making the decision to start to train and enter the race is the biggest one. After that it's a question of "How" rather than "Could I?"

Go for it!
  • dfquigley
    Options
    DFQuigley: Nice plans! Are you racing Challenge Peticton in August? I've heard fantastic things about the old IM course, so can't imagine they'll change it much.

What 70.3 race are you planning?

Yep, Challenge Penticton. The more I hear about Challenge, the more excited I get.

The course is in my backyard too, 74 kms from my doorstep, last summer I rode a couple double centuries, from my place, to the bike course start, rode the bike course, then rode home.

They're leaving the course exactly as is! Lots of volunteers are staying too.

I'm doing the Oliver Half Iron June 2nd and I'm considering the Desert Half in Osoyoos in July if I think I can make it work :p
  • dfquigley
    Options

Mleech: That's what I've been doing this week. Taking the cals from my Garmin and altering the MFP accordingly. Good advice.

I've found my 305 DRASTICALLY over estimated calories burned.

The 310xt seems to be pretty darn close though, so I use those numbers and throw them into MFP and use it as a baseline when I do treadmill stuff too.

For the bike I've been using the trainer a lot but TrainerRoad gives me a burn based on work done at the trainer, so it should be pretty close.
  • ossiary
    ossiary Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    DFQuigley: Nice plans! Are you racing Challenge Peticton in August? I've heard fantastic things about the old IM course, so can't imagine they'll change it much.

What 70.3 race are you planning?

Yep, Challenge Penticton. The more I hear about Challenge, the more excited I get.

The course is in my backyard too, 74 kms from my doorstep, last summer I rode a couple double centuries, from my place, to the bike course start, rode the bike course, then rode home.

They're leaving the course exactly as is! Lots of volunteers are staying too.

I'm doing the Oliver Half Iron June 2nd and I'm considering the Desert Half in Osoyoos in July if I think I can make it work :p

That's fantastic. Challenge are a great organisation and have a much more "family" feel than WTC. The fact the volunteers are staying is a good sign, as it's them who truly make the race. I did Challenge Roth last summer and it was, by far, the best event experience of my life.
    Knowing the course will be invaluable, and it's worth asking if they have a "Local Athelete" race number for that extra support (they do in Roth, and the crowd go extra crazy for them).

The 70.3 in June is a great plan, but the July one would depend on it's date. Racing as a sharpener is a very useful tool, but also to be used sparingly. If you're anything like me you won't be able to go out and give it 80% in July.

Definitely have a look at the Endurance Nation 4 Keys of long course triathlon DVD, the race execution information on there is second to none and can change your day completely!

I liked my 310XT, very robust and reliable. Unfortunately it was stolen, but when the insurance came through I got a 910XT which is about the same, except for pool swim data and it's easier to get a wetsuit off over the top of it.
  • Mdin1029
    Mdin1029 Posts: 456 Member
    Options
    Mine is coming up on Feb 23rd! My training has also been fairly relaxed (each discipline 2x a week), core power yoga 1x a week. This week and next week I'm focused on training hard. The week of the race I will do one swim and one run. I will rest 2 days prior, and avoid yoga that week because it makes my legs very sore.
  • MelyndaWaldner
    MelyndaWaldner Posts: 442 Member
    Options
    I signed up for Three Sprint Triathlons and a dualthon. My first one is at the end of may. My workout schedule is 4 day split with an hour of biking or cross training every day. Wednesday and Saturdays are a two hour brick workout of biking and running. I signed up for a swimming refresher course in March and I will add an evening swim to most days.
  • dfquigley
    Options

The 70.3 in June is a great plan, but the July one would depend on it's date. Racing as a sharpener is a very useful tool, but also to be used sparingly. If you're anything like me you won't be able to go out and give it 80% in July.

They would each be 6 weeks apart. I'm still thinking it might be a bit too close, would def. have my existing 2 races as "A" races anyways.

Plenty else going on to keep me busy anyways.
  • bdiverse
    bdiverse Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Hi All!!

So awesome to find a forum in which there are so many other people with similar plans! I am relatively new to triathlon, but am hoping that my previous endurance experience will help me in this endeavor.

Like a few others have mentioned, my SWIM leg will be my biggest struggle.

Some solid work will reinforce my biking, but I've done a few century ride, so I am fairly confident.

My run is my strength. I'm entering the wonderful world of triathlon with 11 full marathons and a 50-miler under my belt, so hopefully those events will help me to focus in the mental struggle of the run.

All of that said..., in the 40-second online registration window for IMAZ 2013, I managed to make it in --- so I have a very solid goal looming in November.
    I am also planning on a half-iron distance race in June!
  • khlesnick
    khlesnick Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I know I'm jumping on this thread a little late! I was a swimmer through high school/college so that's my strongest leg by far! I did a couple sprints last year and I'm aiming for an olympic at the end of April. I've never been much of a runner, and a 10K will be a lot for me but I'll get there. The bike I struggle with because I simply don't get outside enough. A good bike workout takes a lot longer than a swim or run and requires daylight! Plus I'm still timid to ride on the roads in the city so I have to head to the loop at the park, which can get pretty boring.

We'll have to see how the olympic distance goes, but I'd love to try a HIM in the fall! Would that be too crazy?