personal trainer confusion!

Options
hey everyone,

ive just paid alot of money for a personal trainer at the gym. im very confused as i told him my main goal was to lose weight and yet im being advised to swap from skimmed milk and loq fat subsititues to organic everything and whole fat milk..cook with butter or goose fat....i am so confused as how i am meant to lose weight whilst eating a whole load of saturated fat.

should i try what he says or do you think its a load of..well rubbish. any thoughts would be very mich appreciated as i feel ive wasted a lot of money!

Replies

• Cr01502
    Cr01502 Posts: 3,614 Member
    Options
    Fat doesn't make you fat.

An excess of calories makes you fat.

Fat also helps to improve satiety.

Also saturated fats from animals aren't necessarily bad for you.

It''s trans fat you need to look out for.
  • 714rah714
    714rah714 Posts: 759 Member
    Options
    Some personal trainers aren't worth their weight
  • nicola19489
    nicola19489 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    ye he did explain that..i have bought whole milk but ivexdrank skimmed for years and it made me feel sick. i think im just worried im on a body builders diet. its so different from what everyone else and the media is saying about lower calorie intakes and lower fat. hes told me not to bother counting calories also.

so many different views on everything i dont know whats right and whats not.
  • taliar93
    taliar93 Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    Seems a bit dodgy, if you're having serious doubts the gym you signed up at should have a 7 day grace period for you to cancel your membership. I'm not a nutritionist or a dietitian so I honestly can't give you a straight up answer about why he would be putting you on high fat.
  • taliar93
    Options
    ye he did explain that..i have bought whole milk but ivexdrank skimmed for years and it made me feel sick. i think im just worried im on a body builders diet. its so different from what everyone else and the media is saying about lower calorie intakes and lower fat. hes told me not to bother counting calories also.

I would keep a diary for your calories, that seems really stupid honestly, and whilst he may be a pt they go through absolute basic training on nutrition and such (My friend just completed a course to be a pt, and it took no time at all and she still really has no idea about nutrition)
  • professorRAT
    professorRAT Posts: 690 Member
    Options

It is not a body builders diet. However, if you want to lose weight I am not sure why he would tell you not to count calories. Ask him what his reason is. Nobody here knows what he is planning or thinking. Make him explain it to you.
  • stefhy
    stefhy Posts: 2
    Options
    Well, from what he is saying he is asking you to eat clean. Meaning, no more preservatives. No fake sweeteners or added chemicals to your food to save calories. There's a difference between low calorie food, and good calorie food sometimes.

If he's saying you're okay to eat brayers ice cream - then yeah, he's a little weird.

But, I am assuming that you did have a chat with him about your current diet and the things you eat right now. If you mentioned that you DO eat subsitute sugars, and pasturized food and what not, he's probably thinking that you need to detoxify your system. It's really really hard to eat clean these days, because such a large majority of our foods are processed ( which is good for businesses, not our bodies!) and/or they are trying to keep up with the 'low calorie, low fat' fad, by using fake ingredients and things that we just shouldnt have in our body. These ingredients cause a lot of problems, as far as digestion goes. They don't get digested properly, which leaves chemicals in our gut. So now, not only are we not getting proper nutrition but we're holding onto chemicals in our bodies and those chemicals are stopping us from ridding ourselves of the 'low calorie' food we were trying to diet with.

Further more, there's a difference between good fats and bad fats. Good fats: avocado, butter (not margarine!), coconut oils (not canola oil) -- there's a list (I recommend you do research into the paleo diet to look for more answers if you are interested, it's hard to do but SO worth it - at least paleo inspired ideas would help)..> Bad fats: everything delicious that I indulge in on my birthday. Chocolates, candy, ice cream, sugar, refined sugars, pops, juice -- yes juice! Orange juice has a lot of natural sugar, and a lot of unnatural sugar -- and by the end of it, there's not enough of anything else in thes fruit juices to make up for the amount of sugar, so they all turn to fat and add to our middle-jiggle if you will :( .

Good fats, like those that he's asking you to eat (unpasturized milk, organic foods, whole butter - all of those) actually help to replace all of your bad fats in the body. SO all those years as a child eating oreos at 3am, that lead us to a jiggly shaped body are showing now - it's about time to switch up the bad fats into the good fats and your body will clean itself up. Good fats (the whole omega 3,6,9 deal) are good for your body fat percentage! It will actually lower it. Not to mention, they are wonderful for your skin, your hair, your heart, your brain. All of those things. (Omega 3 is less your friend if you take too much of that -- but that's a discussion for another time.)

All in all, I don't know your whole story or what you used to eat - nor what kind of physical activity you do. But if what he's telling you sounds anything like that ^^ and anything like Paleo (please look it up, you won't regret it) then he's not crazy, it's not rubbish. You hired a keeper. :)
  • bpotts44
    bpotts44 Posts: 1,066 Member
    Options
    hey everyone,

ive just paid alot of money for a personal trainer at the gym. im very confused as i told him my main goal was to lose weight and yet im being advised to swap from skimmed milk and loq fat subsititues to organic everything and whole fat milk..cook with butter or goose fat....i am so confused as how i am meant to lose weight whilst eating a whole load of saturated fat.

should i try what he says or do you think its a load of..well rubbish. any thoughts would be very mich appreciated as i feel ive wasted a lot of money!

Is he a nutritionist or just a trainer. My trainer friend gives absolutely no advice because she is certified for exercise not nutrition. Just log your food accurately and try to hit your calorie and macro targets and you will lose weight.
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options
    I think you should call him. Remind him about your weight LOSS goals and ask specifically why he recommends those particular things for you?

Plus the guy above seems to have a good point. You go to you trainer for his physical expertise no? At least I only give my PT credit for knowing the body's mechanic's unless he tells me and proves to me otherwise.
  • lagreen57
    Options
    Go with your gut! Stick with the lowfat foods and you will be better off. Yes, you do need to pay attention to the fat content and it sounds like you are packing alot of extra calories that you don't need. I have been drinking skim milk all of my life. If you want to lose weight, you do need to count calories. Just doesn't make sense. Tell him your concerns and possibly get a different trainer.
  • taliar93
    Options
    cook with butter or goose fat.

That's freaking disturbing, you're right that does sound like a bodybuilder diet, because from everything I've heard/read and been told by an actual chef that was teaching at Jamie Oliver's Ministry of Food, you should use Pure Olive Oil to cook with...
  • IronPlayground
    IronPlayground Posts: 1,594 Member
    Options
    Keep tracking your calories. What really matters is at the end of the day your are at a deficit and your macronutrients are being met. If that is through whole milk, 2% or almond, it really doesn't matter that much. Eat foods you enjoy. You won't gain muscle eating at a deficit.
  • taliar93
    Options
    I think you should call him. Remind him about your weight LOSS goals and ask specifically why he recommends those particular things for you?

^^ Di is totally right, ring him and call him out on it, ask him why specifically he recommends all this stuff, why it's healthier than other alternatives etc. Chances are he has no idea what he's talking about and will get flustered.
  • Alisha_countrymama
    Alisha_countrymama Posts: 821 Member
    Options
    Oh my goodness... your trainer is amazing. Saturated fat is GOOD for you!!! Fat doesn't make you fat honey!
  • professorRAT
    professorRAT Posts: 690 Member
    Options
    Keep tracking your calories. What really matters is at the end of the day your are at a deficit and your macronutrients are being met. If that is through whole milk, 2% or almond, it really doesn't matter that much. Eat foods you enjoy. You won't gain muscle eating at a deficit.

^and this.
  • christy_frank
    christy_frank Posts: 680 Member
    Options

THIS. Also, the increase in fat intake and a reduction in carbs will train your body to start burning fat for fuel which is more efficient & will start using the fat in your body as fuel as well.
  • wareagle8706
    wareagle8706 Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options

^Exactly^

Sounds like they're trying to get you to stop eating so much processed stuff and eat real food products. (Skim milk is more processed and loses a lot of vitamins and minerals as well as protein along the way)
  • christy_frank
    christy_frank Posts: 680 Member
    Options

^^ Di is totally right, ring him and call him out on it, ask him why specifically he recommends all this stuff, why it's healthier than other alternatives etc. Chances are he has no idea what he's talking about and will get flustered.

He DOES know what he is talking about. STAY THE F AWAY FROM LOW FAT FOODS!!!!!
  • stefhy
    stefhy Posts: 2
    Options
    Many personal trainers who ask you not to count calories, are actually asking you for quite a specific diet. If it's not animal and it's not plant - don't eat it... That particular diet (eating super duper clean) you really don't have to count calories. I know it sounds crazy, but everything you eat on that diet will either make you really full all by itself, or there's not enough calories in it to worry. (lettuce for example. Eat that all day, without breathing in between - you'll be fine.)

I would stick to counting calories, especially because I know it's easy to fall off the squeaky clean eating band wagon. And it's good to know exactly what you're putting in your body. (I never stopped counting, at least a little bit in the back of my mind, because I have a tendency to eat past the point of my being full... It's a terrible habit, I've never gained control of it unless I was really looking at the foods I was putting in my body.)

I don't think he means any harm in telling you not to count calories - however, he should probably go over with you,exactly how particular this diet is. He owes you further explanation.
  • nicola19489
    nicola19489 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    oh my gosh u have just made me sigh with relief! ye u have said exactly whats hes getting at and like u say its everyone else following the low fat fad which is confusing me. im gna stick with the green milk as blue really is too creamy for me but thankyou so much i will look into that diet! i can sleep peacefully now! :D

also i mentioned mfp and he said not to bother dont log calories just track wot im eating so he can see.

thanks for all your input everyone!