personal trainer confusion!

Options

Replies

• Alisha_countrymama
    Alisha_countrymama Posts: 821 Member
    Options
    I think you should call him. Remind him about your weight LOSS goals and ask specifically why he recommends those particular things for you?

^^ Di is totally right, ring him and call him out on it, ask him why specifically he recommends all this stuff, why it's healthier than other alternatives etc. Chances are he has no idea what he's talking about and will get flustered.

He DOES know what he is talking about. STAY THE F AWAY FROM LOW FAT FOODS!!!!!

YES!!!! THIS ^
  • BigDnSW
    BigDnSW Posts: 641 Member
    Options
    "Is he a nutritionist or just a trainer. My trainer friend gives absolutely no advice because she is certified for exercise not nutrition. Just log your food accurately and try to hit your calorie and macro targets and you will lose weight."

Bingo...this. Many trainers no nothing of nutrition and nutrition will vary from person to person. I'd definitely call him on it. See a professional if you can about nutrition and leave the training to a good trainer.

Best of luck!
  • wareagle8706
    wareagle8706 Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
    THIS. Also, the increase in fat intake and a reduction in carbs will train your body to start burning fat for fuel which is more efficient & will start using the fat in your body as fuel as well.

ok the part about "burng fat for fuel being more efficient" is wrong. Your body is most efficient at burning carbs. PERIOD. Don't put it out there if you aren't certain of it's truth. Carbs, fat, then protein - in that order, is what your body is most efficient as using for fuel.
  • AlsDonkBoxSquat
    AlsDonkBoxSquat Posts: 6,128 Member
    Options
    cook with butter or goose fat.

That's freaking disturbing, you're right that does sound like a bodybuilder diet, because from everything I've heard/read and been told by an actual chef that was teaching at Jamie Oliver's Ministry of Food, you should use Pure Olive Oil to cook with...

So you've never heard of Paula Deen? Olive oil is a great cooking oil, but butter has it's place too (like on turkeys). There is nothing wrong with the suggestions he's giving you, except I would wonder to what end he doesn't want you counting calories. I'd have another discussion with him on that point. Besides, a lot of low fat foods have added sugar. pretty much 2 things make flavor: fat and sugar. Fat is more satisfying.
  • HardRockCamaro
    Options
    Now I'm showing my lack of knowledge:

"Orange juice has a lot of natural sugar, and a lot of unnatural sugar"

I know fruit juice has a lot of natural sugar so the sugar content is surprisingly high, and calories to match.

But unnatural sugar?

Do you mean orange juice that has added sweetener? Surely pure orange juice doesn't have unnatural anything or am I being naive?

I'm not picking holes, I'm genuinely asking.
  • IronPlayground
    IronPlayground Posts: 1,594 Member
    Options
    Well, from what he is saying he is asking you to eat clean. Meaning, no more preservatives. No fake sweeteners or added chemicals to your food to save calories. There's a difference between low calorie food, and good calorie food sometimes.

If he's saying you're okay to eat brayers ice cream - then yeah, he's a little weird.

But, I am assuming that you did have a chat with him about your current diet and the things you eat right now. If you mentioned that you DO eat subsitute sugars, and pasturized food and what not, he's probably thinking that you need to detoxify your system. It's really really hard to eat clean these days, because such a large majority of our foods are processed ( which is good for businesses, not our bodies!) and/or they are trying to keep up with the 'low calorie, low fat' fad, by using fake ingredients and things that we just shouldnt have in our body. These ingredients cause a lot of problems, as far as digestion goes. They don't get digested properly, which leaves chemicals in our gut. So now, not only are we not getting proper nutrition but we're holding onto chemicals in our bodies and those chemicals are stopping us from ridding ourselves of the 'low calorie' food we were trying to diet with.

Further more, there's a difference between good fats and bad fats. Good fats: avocado, butter (not margarine!), coconut oils (not canola oil) -- there's a list (I recommend you do research into the paleo diet to look for more answers if you are interested, it's hard to do but SO worth it - at least paleo inspired ideas would help)..> Bad fats: everything delicious that I indulge in on my birthday. Chocolates, candy, ice cream, sugar, refined sugars, pops, juice -- yes juice! Orange juice has a lot of natural sugar, and a lot of unnatural sugar -- and by the end of it, there's not enough of anything else in thes fruit juices to make up for the amount of sugar, so they all turn to fat and add to our middle-jiggle if you will :( .

Good fats, like those that he's asking you to eat (unpasturized milk, organic foods, whole butter - all of those) actually help to replace all of your bad fats in the body. SO all those years as a child eating oreos at 3am, that lead us to a jiggly shaped body are showing now - it's about time to switch up the bad fats into the good fats and your body will clean itself up. Good fats (the whole omega 3,6,9 deal) are good for your body fat percentage! It will actually lower it. Not to mention, they are wonderful for your skin, your hair, your heart, your brain. All of those things. (Omega 3 is less your friend if you take too much of that -- but that's a discussion for another time.)

All in all, I don't know your whole story or what you used to eat - nor what kind of physical activity you do. But if what he's telling you sounds anything like that ^^ and anything like Paleo (please look it up, you won't regret it) then he's not crazy, it's not rubbish. You hired a keeper. :)

If anyone is suggesting Breyer's ice cream and still remaining at a deficit while meeting macros then they are being realistic.

Also, don't blame Oreos for someone's weight problem. The problem comes from over consumption of calories from all foods not just one.
  • missprincessgina
    missprincessgina Posts: 446 Member
    Options
    Unless the personal trainer has a BS or MA or PhD in dietetics or nutrition, then he shouldn't be giving diet advice. A clinical dietitian or professional nutritionist can do that for you. Make sure the are a registered dietitian (RD) or have a degree as mentioned above.

Having said that, I see a personal trainer 2 - 4 times a week. 2 times for strength training because I do not know proper form and technique and was intimidated to lift weights in a weight room with lots of guys at a gym. I see him alone, one on one, in his studio. We lift, use kettlebells, TRX, resistance training, boot camp type stuff, etc. My body has def changed for the better.

Good luck and please see a RD or professional if you're interested in a diet overhaul.
  • haroon_awan
    haroon_awan Posts: 1,208 Member
    Options
    Fat doesn't make you fat.

An excess of calories makes you fat.

Fat also helps to improve satiety.

Also saturated fats from animals aren't necessarily bad for you.

It''s trans fat you need to look out for.

Agreed.

OP: a "BODYBUILDER'S DIET" is generally eating above your maintenance of calories (called TDEE). Did your PT tell you to eat above your TDEE? If he did not then it's not a bodybuilder's diet.

Fat loss is MORE about eating under your TDEE, and LESS about eating certain foods, although this does play a part.
  • MellyGibson
    MellyGibson Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    I'm a certified personal trainer - and here are my thoughts:

I DO cook with real butter - but only about 1 TBS a day. Maybe two if I did a leg workout (I'm also a weight-lifter). I would NEVER advise anyone to use margarine - it's one molecule away from plastic!
    Furthermore we were also instructed about the benefits of using reduced fat dairy products as opposed to full-fat dairy products.
    Your body DOES need a certain amount of fat in order to survive.

Personal trainers are taught about nutrition - but are NOT nutritionists!

Telling you to NOT count calories?!?! RUBBISH! How in the heck are you supposed to use the "eat less/move more" principle if you don't know what you're eating?!

That's just from my learning and experience. If I were in your shoes (and I have been) I'd drop him like you wish to drop your weight!! Or, if you're locked into a contract, present him with your own information and explain to him that you've hired him to be a personal TRAINER, not a personal NUTRITIONIST as he is not QUALIFIED to give you that advice.

Best of luck to you!
  • BigDnSW
    BigDnSW Posts: 641 Member
    Options
    Unless the personal trainer has a BS or MA or PhD in dietetics or nutrition, then he shouldn't be giving diet advice. A clinical dietitian or professional nutritionist can do that for you. Make sure the are a registered dietitian (RD) or have a degree as mentioned above.

Having said that, I see a personal trainer 2 - 4 times a week. 2 times for strength training because I do not know proper form and technique and was intimidated to lift weights in a weight room with lots of guys at a gym. I see him alone, one on one, in his studio. We lift, use kettlebells, TRX, resistance training, boot camp type stuff, etc. My body has def changed for the better.

Good luck and please see a RD or professional if you're interested in a diet overhaul.

Again..ditto..
  • Matt_1972
    Matt_1972 Posts: 56 Member
    Options

Exactly this.
    Personal trainers aren't necessarily trained to give advice on diets. I am not sure what it is like where you live but over here every 3rd ad on the radio is advertising a 12 week course to get qualified to become a personal trainer so I wouldn't put a lot of stock in what most of them have to say about anything apart from form when lifting weights.
  • ngressman
    ngressman Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    hey everyone,

ive just paid alot of money for a personal trainer at the gym. im very confused as i told him my main goal was to lose weight and yet im being advised to swap from skimmed milk and loq fat subsititues to organic everything and whole fat milk..cook with butter or goose fat....i am so confused as how i am meant to lose weight whilst eating a whole load of saturated fat.

should i try what he says or do you think its a load of..well rubbish. any thoughts would be very mich appreciated as i feel ive wasted a lot of money!
    Sounds like rubbish to me. I have used whole, skim, and 2% milk. I normally use skim though. I have a son who is overweight and has to go see a registered dietitian. She has said you never want to drink your calories. Juice, whole milk, sodas are all out. I know sometimes they say foods high in fat or protein fill you up, but milk doesn't fill you up. I had a 1 year old that needed whole milk, and for awhile that's all I bought until I realized that my son had gained 3 pounds with no other change than switching to whole milk.
    I would ask the trainer where he or she got your diet plan information. The dietitian we have always is willing to give me the information of why she is telling us to do something. Then you can decide with more information.
  • urglewurgle
    urglewurgle Posts: 224 Member
    Options

He DOES know what he is talking about. STAY THE F AWAY FROM LOW FAT FOODS!!!!!

This! :flowerforyou:

If you've just started with him perhaps he's wanting you to start eating clean, then maybe he'll suggest counting calories? I agree that you need to speak with him. But also, if full fat milk makes you feel sick (I don't like it either) then don't drink it. Oh, and stay away from the margarine!
  • Ejwelton
    Ejwelton Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    Remember he is working for you. You are paying him , and whilst you are paying for advice, you don't have to take it or follow it to the letter, you can use it selectively to fit in with your life and goals.

If you are not happy about anything he tells you then follow others suggestions and question him on the thoughts behind his regime.
    Does he have testimonials from other clients? Or can he put you in touch with other clients?

I see two different PT's and whilst they push me really hard in training I don't follow everything else they advise to the letter about my diet i try and go on the 80/20 rule.

Good luck - having a PT to push you is addictive !!
  • ngressman
    ngressman Posts: 229 Member
    Options

I know fruit juice has a lot of natural sugar so the sugar content is surprisingly high, and calories to match.

But unnatural sugar?

Do you mean orange juice that has added sweetener? Surely pure orange juice doesn't have unnatural anything or am I being naive?

Orange juice is a fruit juice, so yes it has a lot of natural sugar (fructose), but if the container says 100% juice it doesn't have any other sweetener added to it. Blended juice drinks often have added sugar or high fructose corn syrup, and only have 10-15% juice in them. The reason juice isn't as good for you as the whole fruit is that the fiber is taken out of the fruit in the juicing process.
  • 4_Lisa
    4_Lisa Posts: 362 Member
    Options
    ye he did explain that..i have bought whole milk but ivexdrank skimmed for years and it made me feel sick. i think im just worried im on a body builders diet. its so different from what everyone else and the media is saying about lower calorie intakes and lower fat. hes told me not to bother counting calories also.

so many different views on everything i dont know whats right and whats not.

If I want most things I go with full fat, just better calorie choices. The only execption is I use 1%milk. I would get a second opinion though, something doesn't sound right.
  • troop1000
    Options
    A bunch of rubbish I think, best thing is to log cardio time every day. Then when you are comfortable with your cardio, do some circuit training. Core and legs one day, then upper body the next. This is how I lost 50+ pounds. Of course you need to watch your calorie intake as myfitnesspal says. Keep in mind do cardio every day you are at the gym. It is a good warm up before anything else.
    Good Luck.
  • haroon_awan
    haroon_awan Posts: 1,208 Member
    Options
    I'm a certified personal trainer - and here are my thoughts:

I DO cook with real butter - but only about 1 TBS a day. Maybe two if I did a leg workout (I'm also a weight-lifter). I would NEVER advise anyone to use margarine - it's one molecule away from plastic!
    Furthermore we were also instructed about the benefits of using reduced fat dairy products as opposed to full-fat dairy products.
    Your body DOES need a certain amount of fat in order to survive.

Personal trainers are taught about nutrition - but are NOT nutritionists!

Telling you to NOT count calories?!?! RUBBISH! How in the heck are you supposed to use the "eat less/move more" principle if you don't know what you're eating?!

That's just from my learning and experience. If I were in your shoes (and I have been) I'd drop him like you wish to drop your weight!! Or, if you're locked into a contract, present him with your own information and explain to him that you've hired him to be a personal TRAINER, not a personal NUTRITIONIST as he is not QUALIFIED to give you that advice.

Best of luck to you!

Just because someone is not qualified doesn't mean they should not advise people. I know lots of trainers who advise a) using full fat foods and b) not to count calories and they have amazing client transformations.

You telling the OP to drop him just because he doesn't teach the way you teach is very naive. Not all trainers are the same as not all cleints are the same.
  • ahviendha
    ahviendha Posts: 1,291 Member
    Options

But unnatural sugar?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Orange_juice

"The largest producers of "not from concentrate" use a production process where the juice is placed in aseptic storage, with the oxygen stripped from it, for up to a year. A flavor pack is added in the final step to give the juice flavor.[7] According to the citrus industry, the Food and Drug Administration does not require the contents of flavor packs to be detailed on a product's packaging."

I don't drink bottled OJ anymore. The whole process disgusts me. What is so hard about producing real orange juice.
  • awesomenessj
    Options
    I too have a trainer and she hasn't told me that. I can ask her for you if you like?