Kale eaters... How do you eat it?

Options

Replies

• ironmonkeystyle
    ironmonkeystyle Posts: 834 Member
    Options
    sautéed or home made baked kake chips with high quality olive oil, paprika and sea salt.
  • MsJulielicious
    MsJulielicious Posts: 708 Member
    Options
    I like it in soups. Potato soup with leeks and kale is awesome.
  • RebelRenny
    RebelRenny Posts: 1,073 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: I like my raw cut-up kale with peanut sauce and crushed peanuts! Are you kidding me?! Is that delicious or what?! I usually add a few additional veggies, does not really matter what kind.

Renny
    p.s. watch out for the cleansing effect :bigsmile: :bigsmile:
  • Samysalsa
    Options
    I blend it in a smoothie with spinach and a banana
  • erickita89
    erickita89 Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: I like my raw cut-up kale with peanut sauce and crushed peanuts! Are you kidding me?! Is that delicious or what?! I usually add a few additional veggies, does not really matter what kind.

Renny
    p.s. watch out for the cleansing effect :bigsmile: :bigsmile:

whoa.... what cleansing effect? am i going to be running to the bathroom all day tomorrow?
  • erickita89
    Options
    OK guys!

i just had kale for the 1st time. It tasted amazing! i sauteed it for like 2 minutes with some olive oil, threw in some chopped onions, added a splash of apple cider vinegar, and then sprinkled it lightly with garlic powder and Parmesan cheese. delish! i am a TOTAL fan

It paired really well with some leftover bbq chicken cutlets i had made. thanks for all of the help.
  • skinnyjess6
    skinnyjess6 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • Sarah0866
    Sarah0866 Posts: 291 Member
    Options
    Make it with Cajun seasoning on it until its crispy...Yum!
  • squirrelzzrule22
    squirrelzzrule22 Posts: 640 Member
    Options
    If you are a fan of garlic.....google whole foods garlicky kale recipe. I am addicted.
  • erickita89
    Options
    You could try this recipe, if you like pineapples you will like this dish.

Kale - 3 cups chopped
    Spinach - 6 cups chopped
    Onions - half cup chopped (I use red onions)
    Minced Ginger Root - 1 Tablespoon
    Minced Garlic - One Tablespoon
    Pineapples - 2 cups (I use Dole Pineapples with no added sugar, you could use fresh pineapples)
    Cumin Powder - 1 Teaspoon
    Coriander Powder - 2 Teaspoons
    Chilli Powder - To Taste (I like it really hot)
    Green Chillies - To Taste
    Avacado Oil - 1 Tablespoon (You could use any High Heat oil)
    Cumin Seed - 1 Teaspoon
    Sesame Seed - 1 Teaspoon
    Salt to Taste
    Tomatoes - 2 Large
    Raw, Unsalted Nuts - 2 Tablespoon (I like to use Pecans) Cashews or Slivered Almonds go really well with this dish. Dry roast this and keep it aside.
    Lemon or Lime Juice - 1 Teaspoon

Method
    Heat oil in the pan
    Add Cumin Seed and Sesame Seed and wait for it to crackle
    Add chopped onions and saute it till golden brown
    Add Ginger, Garlic and saute for 2 minutes
    Add Green Chillies
    Add Chopped Tomatoes and cook for few minutes
    Add Kale
    Keep mixing this until Kale starts to get soft
    Frequently mix Kale till it's half way done
    Add Spinach and and the dry spices (Cumin, Coriander, Chilly Powder and Salt)
    Frequently mix it till spinach starts to wilt
    Add Pineapples at this point and cook this till Kale is fully done.
    Put this in a serving dish and add lemon or lime juice and garnish it with dry nuts.

It goes well with Quinoa or Cracked Wheat.

I hope you like it.
    Thank you

damn i had fresh pineapples in my fridge.... i love pineapples im a hugeeeeee fan. i was thinking about throwing it into the sautee but i didnt because i want to taste the kale alone. next time im going to try this though
  • erickita89
    Options
    Make it with Cajun seasoning on it until its crispy...Yum!
    '

mm sounds good
  • erickita89
    Options
    If you are a fan of garlic.....google whole foods garlicky kale recipe. I am addicted.

i flippn love garlic
  • jjrichard83
    jjrichard83 Posts: 483 Member
    Options
    I mix it with spinach in my shakes, eat it with spinach in my salads, I steam the stems. Homemade Kale chips are pretty gross...
  • Hbazzell
    Hbazzell Posts: 899 Member
    Options
    I throw some into my salad raw. (eating it now actually).
    I also throw it in to grilled veggy mixes which I make often.
    You can juice it if you juice.
    Adding it to spaghetti sauce is good.
    Cooking it takes some of the nutrients so raw is supposed to be best but cooked is still good.
  • AggieLu
    AggieLu Posts: 873 Member
    Options
    My favorite way to eat kale is in soup. I have come across kale chips recipe (baked in the oven) and I will be making those soon.
  • horseswinelife
    horseswinelife Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    Just enough EVOO to moisten it, your favorite spices (I like Chili powder, cumin & salt) roast it until dry and then its great as a salad topper instead of crutons
  • Mdin1029
    Mdin1029 Posts: 456 Member
    Options
    2 cups baby kale in a green smoothie with 1 pear, 1 glass water, 1/2 frozen banana, few sprigs cilantro. Yummy! Sometimes 1 do 1/2 baby spinach, 1/2 baby kale. I don't like the kale chips or sauteed kale.
  • glitteredgrave
    glitteredgrave Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    Kale chips! Rip it up into pieces, toss with a bit of olive oil and salt, and bake in a hot oven until crispy but not burnt. They don't keep well - they get soggy quickly, but I've never had a problem eating them up. I've also heard of people using soy sauce instead of salt and oil, or adding a bit of cayenne or parmesan. There are probably a ton of variations.

You can also shred it, steam it so it's nice and soft, and put it in lasagna instead of spinach.

I've also had a soup very similar to this one: http://www.cookinglight.com/food/in-season/kale-recipes-00412000074204/page10.html (White bean soup with kale and chorizo) that was absolutely delicious, but I've never made it myself.

Kale chips are so awesome, they'll surprise you
  • starrchiild
    starrchiild Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I treat it like spinach. Ill mix in smoothies here and there or just eat it plain.
  • dstuttgen
    Options
    kale salad with mandarins oranges and dried cranberries. Kale chips are good too, but I love the salad.

How do you make kale chips???

Oops, found it!