How much do you spend on groceries?

Options

Replies

• dandandee
    dandandee Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    I'm usually at about 120-130 a month. I just feed myself though.

This week my groceries were 35$, but I bought chicken breasts this week and eggs , so that ups it by 13$ compared to a normal trip.

my typical week's worth of shopping looks like..
    soya milk : 4$
    various fruits: 5$
    various veggies: 5$
    sandwich meat : 4$
    some random thing I happen to need that week 5-10$
  • pkdarlin
    pkdarlin Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    Just for two I spend around $120.00. We eat out maybe twice a week.
  • lolagurlx0x0
    lolagurlx0x0 Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    It varies for us from month to month- there are 2 of us and I would say we spend about 150-200 a month- depending on what we get. Less if we eat out often (*which we do- those month we spend like 80 on groceries) I think a safe bet would be 150. But it all depends on if you lean towards organic- lots of veggies- or lots of junk food- if you eat lots of meat- carbs- bake alot- or buy ready made- there are alot of factors. I find when I make everything I spend less money- (most times)
  • lina011
    lina011 Posts: 427 Member
    Options
    $100 - 150 maybe a week, it all depends on what we need also. we do not eat out and if we do the most we spend is $20
    there is 3 of us .
  • HartJames
    HartJames Posts: 789 Member
    Options
    $150-$175 3 adults, mostly organics and specialty stuff.
  • RedVelvet0101
    RedVelvet0101 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    For myself and the fiance, groceries at the big local chain were $125 a week. We switched to Trader Joe's and we average $75-90 a week now. We spend maybe $25-40 a week eating out, we don't go out that often because I love to cook.
  • tekwriter
    tekwriter Posts: 923 Member
    Options
    I spend around 225 a week for 5 adults, 3 men and two women. Includes all 3 meals.
  • 748marie
    748marie Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    My Husband and I have four children. We usually spend about 150 a week on groceries. An important thing to do is meal plan! If you make a meal too big the freeze half and it can be dinner for the next week :) But for only two people I would say like 75$ a week. Depends on your tastes and if you prefer name brand over generic. To save cash we also make a gallon of coffee at at ime and cool then throw it in the fridge to avoid sstarbucks ") of course we live in Fl. so iced coffee is our normal morning routine. As far as eating out... we pick a day or two do do this and it is usually like a pizza. hope this helps :)
  • NicoleBecca
    Options
    This post should have also asked which country people are from.
    I can't believe how cheap peoples groceries are sounding in most of these replies.
    Just for my husband and I we spend $200+ on groceries a week

just for a weeks worth of vegetables it costs around $50

New Zealander :grumble:
  • Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    Options
    This post should have also asked which country people are from.
    I can't believe how cheap peoples groceries are sounding in most of these replies.
    Just for my husband and I we spend $200+ on groceries a week

just for a weeks worth of vegetables it costs around $50

New Zealander :grumble:

My wife and I are in the US (where some people are reporting grocery bills less than half of ours), and we spend a little more than you do, so there are a lot of factors involved. ;)
  • R_Bedard
    R_Bedard Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    It all depends on where you live as well. I spend $100-$125 a week for 2 adults.
  • Aradia_Silvermoon
    Aradia_Silvermoon Posts: 375 Member
    Options
    I spend about $200 a month for two people (one is my 11 year old daughter) but I also use a ton of coupons. I can get about $500 worth of food, toiletries, and other supplies for that amount by shopping the sales and pairing it with coupons.

Found Honeysuckle White ground turkey on sale a few months back for $1.45 each (85/15) and I had a $0.55 off any Honeysuckle White coupon. I stocked up and put a ton in my deep freezer!
  • vashnic
    Options
    Hmm, roughly $30-50 a week just for me, and this includes going out to college student restaurants. I tend to eat pretty similarly each day, though. Rice + chicken breasts + canned veggies can be pretty cheap when you buy them in large-ish amounts. And $10 per week of that budget goes to tubs of Greek yogurt. :) When I tried to eat with more variety, weekly costs shot up along with time spent cooking. Now, I just make a big pot of rice and veggie mix and stick a package of meat in the oven for the rest of the week's meals.

Also, making my own coffee has saved me ~$10-15 a week at Starbucks. <.<

I am in Seattle, and costs seem similar to CA cities.
  • honeyandmilk
    honeyandmilk Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    Usually about $300-400 a month for 2 people. Sometimes we go shopping once a week, other times it's every other week. This includes things at Costco which are more expensive but last a long time (e.g. 80 pack of K-Cups for $37). Most of our budget goes towards produce and ingredients needed for whatever is on the meal plan.

Oh, and we live in Florida.
  • smeklc
    smeklc Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    bump
  • kelly_e_montana
    kelly_e_montana Posts: 1,999 Member
    Options
    I spend about $100-$120 week on groceries and household items like TP, toothpaste, contact solution, detergent, etc. That's just for me and the pet. I have a lot of waste just being one person, but I hate not having all the items to make a salad, etc. I also eat a lot of protein, so meat is usually more expensive than carbs, and produce is quite expensive where I live. When I lived with someone, I found I spent nearly the same for 2 people as I did for one. I buy a lot of organic items though. And, I buy premium coffee and often wine.

I don't hardly eat out at all. Maybe lunch 2-3 times per month in a casual place.
  • kaltey
    kaltey Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Wow! We spend maybe $300 a month on groceries. We're a family of 4 plus 2 dogs and a cat. We're on a remote military base and eat vegan. Everything is made from scratch minus cereal. That total also includes animal foods and toiletries.
  • DivaLuvsDisney
    DivaLuvsDisney Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    I'm in MA so basically HCOL here. We are a family of 4 and I usually spend around $150 a week just on food at our local Market Basket and an additional $300 a month at BJ's. Right now we are in process of stocking our freezer and building a huge stash of canned goods (store bought and food we have canned ourselves) and dry goods so we've been spending a little more. Chicken breast was just on sale for $1.99lb so we got 30 pounds and portioned it out into 1lb packages and froze it (we have a FoodSaver). We also have a garden in the summer which cuts down on the grocery bill for produce for a few months.
  • lprofancik
    lprofancik Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    About 60-100 per week in winter and 20-30 in the summer, but we farm and get most of our veggies and meats from our own property. Cuts back on expenses immensely.
  • Soontobethinlindsay
    Options
    Dang.. I feel like I spend more than everyone else. My hubby and I spend around $250 every two weeks on groceries (including personal care stuff and alcohol). I cook every night and we go out one night a week averaging $30-$50. I live in a smaller town in Michigan so you get a lot of bang for your buck with $250 too. Actually, now that I wrote that all out, it doesn't seem like so much. :)