Can't Afford It...

Options
What do you guys do if you can't afford to get a membership at the gym and you have no gym equipment at your house? On top of that it's freezing outside. Just wondering what you all do for fitness and exercise when you mainly can't afford to go to the gym and you have no gym equipment at home.

I need to do some exercise because just counting calories doesn't seem to be working for me.

Replies

• rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    nerdfitness.com
  • samantha1242
    samantha1242 Posts: 816 Member
    Options
    I do workout videos which can be free. For example, JIllian Michaels 30 day shred is on YouTube for free! There are a lot of free workouts of YouTube.
  • teamAmelia
    teamAmelia Posts: 1,247 Member
    Options
    Have you tried a university gym. I know that my university had discounted rates. Maybe you can see if they have something in your price range. Do you have a friend who lives in a community that allows guests to use their fitness rooms?
  • livityliv
    livityliv Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    Look into some DVDs. Most are really cheap (5 or 6 bucks at walmart, for example) and require little or no equipment. Even if it does require hand weights or something like that you can use water bottles, cans of soup, what ever you have on hand. Walk Away the Pounds is good for starters (there are even some full length videos on YouTube so you can try before you buy), a lot of people like the Jillian Michaels ones but they are much more intense, Hulu has lots of workout videos if you have a computer/internet... There are ways!
  • Caryn03
    Caryn03 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    Thank you Rybo!

Is that what you used to get as fit as you are?

Thanks Samantha. I didn't even think of YouTube. I guess my next step would be to figure out how to hook my computer up to my TV then.
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    What do you guys do if you can't afford to get a membership at the gym and you have no gym equipment at your house? On top of that it's freezing outside. Just wondering what you all do for fitness and exercise when you mainly can't afford to go to the gym and you have no gym equipment at home.

I need to do some exercise because just counting calories doesn't seem to be working for me.

I'd reassess how much you're eating and if you may have any underlying medical conditions before you claim it isn't workign for ou
  • jenniferrusso7393
    jenniferrusso7393 Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    Sometimes there is a group of people that will mettat a local mall early in the morning before the shops open and they walk laps around the mall (at least they did in the town where I grew up)... It was free and anyone could do it. I did it a couple of times a week with some of my mentally ill clients...
  • Caryn03
    Options
    There isn't really a university close to me. So, I'm unsure about a discounted rate thru them. I really can't afford much.. I wish I could go to the rec by my house because it's about 2 min's away from my house. I would have to look into the community friends who allow guests to use the fitness room.
  • erinsueburns
    erinsueburns Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    nerdfitness.com

Yes, this. I use the beginner body weight exercises and throw in some extra push-ups, elevated shoulder glute bridge etc.
  • basslinewild
    basslinewild Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    Some Jillian Michaels workouts such as 30 Day Shred and Yoga Meltdown are on youtube. (BeFit channel). They require hand weights and a mat.
  • Muddy_Yogi
    Muddy_Yogi Posts: 1,459 Member
    Options
    nerdfitness.com

^^^^^THIS!
  • UpEarly
    UpEarly Posts: 2,555 Member
    Options
    My gym costs $10.00 a month or roughly 30 cents a day. Maybe you can continue shopping for a less expensive gym?
  • Caryn03
    Options

I'd reassess how much you're eating and if you may have any underlying medical conditions before you claim it isn't workign for ou

I'm trying my best to stick to my calories on MFP. I do have PCOS, which I was told that it makes it harder for me to lose weight. But I don't want to use that as an excuse.
  • IAMSHELOCK
    Options
    Check the library!
  • samantha1242
    Options

Thanks Samantha. I didn't even think of YouTube. I guess my next step would be to figure out how to hook my computer up to my TV then.

http://www.online-tech-tips.com/computer-tips/how-to-connect-your-laptoppccomputer-to-your-tv/

:)
  • subconscious_ink
    subconscious_ink Posts: 194 Member
    Options

Look into getting a VGA or HDMI cable, depending on the capabilities of your computer and TV
  • samantha1242
    Options
    My gym costs $10.00 a month or roughly 30 cents a day. Maybe you can continue shopping for a less expensive gym?

Wow, that is insanely cheap!
  • Caryn03
    Options

Dang, I would be stoked to find a gym that is $10.00 a month. I will have to see what I can find.
  • subconscious_ink
    subconscious_ink Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    Also, on cable at least, there is an exercise on demand channel where you can do exercise videos for free.
  • juliekins64
    juliekins64 Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    there are always people on kijiji looking for workout buddies.
    Maybe look for one who has a couple of machine or DVD's, you get free use of equipment and they get the help to stay motivated, win-win.