Can't Afford It...

Options

Replies

• graceylou222
    graceylou222 Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    Some larger churches have gyms, community centers have classes really cheap too. Theres a place by my house that offers yoga twice a week for 10 bucks a month! It's insanely cheap and the teacher is a pro. You can also youtube workouts, find routines on pinterest. I usually do a jillian michaels video. They are like 8 bucks at walmart, and its just a one time buy. :) Good luck!
  • annemcharles
    annemcharles Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    Walk the mall? Your flight of stairs at home? Put on the radio and dance? If you have kids, play leap frog! Just play! The options are limitless you just have to let your guard down! :-) Good luck! I even have some old DVD's I don't use that I'd be happy to send your way (for free!...just inbox me your mailing address...I promise I won't stalk you!)
  • leighdiane91
    leighdiane91 Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    My gym costs $10.00 a month or roughly 30 cents a day. Maybe you can continue shopping for a less expensive gym?

Dang, I would be stoked to find a gym that is $10.00 a month. I will have to see what I can find.

Do you have a Planet Fitness anywhere near you? They are 10.00 a month and I believe no contracts (?). Also, I know the YMCA seems expensive, but they have plans that are based on your income level. ( or if you are a student, they have student rates too)
  • Serah87
    Serah87 Posts: 5,481 Member
    Options
    Planet Fitness is $10.00 a month, used to be a member there, but now our health insurance covers our gym. :)
  • knk1553
    knk1553 Posts: 438 Member
    Options
    nerdfitness.com

Also, at walmart you can get 30 day shred for like $9 and a set of dumbbells for like $10, there you go, 30 days of workout for $20. Or if you can't afford it, get the video off of youtube and use soup cans.

you can also just google for bodyweight workouts or go to the fitnessblender youtube page.

I would also reassess your calorie intake though, because if you're eating at a true calorie deficit then you should be losing weight. You need to be measuring and weighing everything as well, not just eyeballing size.
  • nancybuss
    nancybuss Posts: 1,461 Member
    Options
    You could have a local Beachbody coach running a Fit Club near you - they are free.

obviously you have a Lot of options - find what works for you!
  • chivalryder
    chivalryder Posts: 4,391 Member
    Options
    Jump rope - costs less than $10.
    Door mounted pull up bar - Less than $40, less if you buy used.
    Body weight training book - free if you know how to download them. You Are Your Own Gym and Convict Conditioning are two of the best you can get.

That's what I have! I only bought an elliptical because the store I bought it from was closing and I got some cash for xmas.

Just be sure to do plenty of research and find a good program to follow (Google is your friend!). If you go into anything like this blind, you're setting yourself up for failure or worse - injury.
  • Valricogirll
    Valricogirll Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Do you have any kind of game platform, like Wii? Also there are several online sites that offer free exercises.
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options
    I live in a rural town there is nothing here as far as gym goes...
    1. Walk
    2. You tube it...theres lots of you tube videos
    3. Turn on the music and dance like a crazy person
    4. Free weights
    5. One of my friends on here got a hula hoop-sounded like fun.

I have to admit though I'm a big baby when it comes to cold.
  • superjean1
    superjean1 Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    I agree with others about videos - either online or dvd's. Not sure where you are located (big city or rural area), but you can also search Craigslist for used ones. Amazon also sells used versions for a fraction of the price.

Also, when I am feeling low on motivation, I find a workout buddy (or buddies). Most people are much more likely to do it when someone else is counting on you to show up. I run with a work friend 3 days/week. We either meet before work (during hot weather) or mid-day (on cold days). We're both finding that we're more likely suck it up and do it even when its cold or nasty because neither of us wants to be the "quitter".
  • UpEarly
    UpEarly Posts: 2,555 Member
    Options
    My gym costs $10.00 a month or roughly 30 cents a day. Maybe you can continue shopping for a less expensive gym?

Dang, I would be stoked to find a gym that is $10.00 a month. I will have to see what I can find.

It's a Planet Fitness, so there are tons of them across the U.S. I'm almost certain they all offer a $10 membership and a $20.00 membership that comes with extra perks like tanning, free guests, etc.

The drawback is that they're franchised, so some are nicer than others. You'll hear a lot of complaints/jokes on MFP about Planet Fitness (i.e. they don't have free weights, they don't offer classes, etc).

Mine doesn't offer group fitness classes like spinning or Zumba, but they have a huge free weights section, all kinds of weight machines, a 30 minute circuit room and tons of cardio equipment - and they couldn't care less about me wearing a tank top. :laugh:

It's definitely a bare-bones gym, but it's really all I need.
  • Seminolegirl97
    Seminolegirl97 Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    There are several "free to the public" Zumba classes offered in my city. Start searching for free classes. Also, Workout DVD's are CHEAP on Amazon and Ebay. There are many Jillian Michael's DVDs for under $10 and Bob Harper's are $5 on his site. And if you can't afford to buy weights buy bands. They work just as well. Good Luck!
  • justmyalias
    justmyalias Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    Planet Fitness - $10 a month, no contract

run in place (record your fav tv shows on DVD, then watch them while you 'jog') - I do this a lot when it gets too late at night or too cold to go out -
    at some point, if you can afford a mat, a step or running trampoline ($30) - purchase one

make up your own form of Zumba, and just do it

watch Biggest Loser - they will often show examples of how to exercise without a gym/equipment...
  • RambyPandy
    RambyPandy Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    Bump; saving for later. GREAT THREAD
  • mooglysmom
    mooglysmom Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    Dvd's, exercise channel, just getting outside and walking!! If you're on Pinterest there's tons of body weight exercises to do too. There's no need for a gym. I can't afford a membership either.
  • Becoming_A_Butterfly
    Becoming_A_Butterfly Posts: 2,534 Member
    Options
    I have a gym membership but primarily workout at home. Here are some ideas:

1. Rent workout DVDs for free from the library.

2. I have found workout DVDs for dirt cheap at dollar stores.

3. See if gyms near you have free trials (usually a day or a week).

4. There are a lot of free workouts on YouTube.

5. WorkoutsonDemand.com is a site loaded with workouts, and they constantly big discount codes. You can get it as cheap as $5 a month if you have the right coupon code.

6. Check amazon.com and ebay for workout DVDs. The amazon.com site has the option to buy new or used from many sellers, and I have found great prices this way.

7. If you do need some basic equipment, check craigslist for weights, for example. I would be grossed out by buying a used mat, but those are pretty cheap at Walmart and Target.

8. Call your area high school and ask when the track is available to the public. The ones here are open to the public when the school is not using it for practice or meets or games.
  • Riemersma4
    Riemersma4 Posts: 400 Member
    Options
    Couple of comments:
    my gym is $20/month. skip starbucks a few times a month and you will pay for it
    try the local YMCA. Often cheap rates
    do you have a big church near you? Some of them have gyms or cardio rooms.
    pull up bar at home
    jump rope for cardio
    try Goodwill. I got an ERG there that was in great shape for under $100.

Good luck!
  • kaitlyn606
    Options
    University gym is what works for me! They offer discounted rates for people who live around the university. It's still not cheap but it is worth a look into! Also try a community college or a cheaper university near by. I hope this helps!
  • Hirgy03
    Hirgy03 Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    So many above that I would agree with, just find ANYTHING that takes physical exertion. Situps and pushups, squats on the edge of the sofa, grocery bags with some cans of soup in them..... anything. Mall walking. Anything.

If you ever watch some of the things they advertise on television nowadays, I think you know what I mean when I say that if you get inventive enough, develope something that REALLY WORKS for you you (you have a couple months, then it will be nice out and you can go bicycling, jogging, etc), then you can tape it and market it and make millions.

There ya go, took care of both the workout question AND the money problems. Damn I'm good. I need a nap now.
  • Caryn03
    Caryn03 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    There are so many options open to you through the web, books and dvd's. You don't need a gym but you do need to be a self starter and make yourself do the work. Money shouldn't be an issue.

I agree. I know I need to actually put in the work if I'm willing to ask for assistance and not make excuses. We are just financially strapped and wanted to see what MFP members used and worked for them. I am loving every idea from everyone!!!