Can't Afford It...

Options

Replies

• bowser625
    bowser625 Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    Your local library should have videos to rent...

Or ask your friends. They are bound to have a video or two stashed somewhere they aren't using anymore!!

My faves: Jillian Michaels' Banish Fat Boost Metabolism and any walking video by Leslie Sansone (which you can find on YouTube)
  • iarookie
    iarookie Posts: 140
    Options
    I didnt read 5 pages of answers- Do you have a Wii??
  • concordancia
    concordancia Posts: 5,320 Member
    Options
    What do you guys do if you can't afford to get a membership at the gym and you have no gym equipment at your house? On top of that it's freezing outside. Just wondering what you all do for fitness and exercise when you mainly can't afford to go to the gym and you have no gym equipment at home.

I need to do some exercise because just counting calories doesn't seem to be working for me.

Define Freezing.

Anything below 60deg F to my reptilian desert blood

Yep. It doesn't matter what the definition is, it matters that a certain person uses it as an excuse to not workout. If you have alternatives, you don't have excuses.

There are some really great ideas here, from online videos to using the library to checking out community resources.

And don't forget, you can always turn up the tunes and dance!
  • KittieLea
    KittieLea Posts: 1,156 Member
    Options
    Watch Sit and Be Fit.

LOL
    Is there a Fitness Connection in your area? That's where I go, and it's only $10 a month.
  • yonky50
    yonky50 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    See if there is a Planet Fitness in your area. $10 a month with an annual $39 fee due in May or Sept , I think. No contract, great atmosphere for the novice.
  • ash8184
    ash8184 Posts: 701 Member
    Options
    Go running/walking! You can do jumping jacks, jump rope, push-ups, sit ups... grab a couple of cans of soup (or milk jugs) and use them as weights. Clean your house vigorously. Lots of options!
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    Walk, run, hike, bike, dance, swim, calisthenics, jump rope, plyometrics, climb something, lift something, push something, look for free workouts on TV or the internet.
  • fbmandy55
    fbmandy55 Posts: 5,263 Member
    Options
    I can't do workout DVD's at home. No space and crappy subfloors. The rec center I play volleyball at has fitness equipment and you can 'pay by use' for $2 a day for when I can make it. Maybe see if there is a place like that around?
  • ames105
    ames105 Posts: 288 Member
    Options
    My experience has been that exercise alone, without taking calories into consideration, resulted in no weight loss at all. Exercise is great for improving cardio health, toning, muscle building, etc. But without creating some kind of (healthy) calorie deficit, you won't experience very much weight loss. Especially if you are fighting with a condition like PCOS or underactive thyroid.

Instead of focusing on counting calories (that can be frustrating for a lot of people), try reducing portion size and focusing on fresh fruits and veggies. That can be managed on a budget.

And yes, look on the internet for free exercise videos. If you have cable TV, they usually have free videos as well. Even walking/jogging in place, squating, situps, pushups, lunges etc, while watching TV is good free exercise. Good luck in your journey!!
  • majikmiker
    majikmiker Posts: 291 Member
    Options
    Didn't want to read through 5 pages to see if this was suggested. But I sometimes go to the mall when it's really cold outside. You can walk for miles, inside, and you can do the stairs instead of the escalator, and use the benches for squats etc. You may get kicked out, but if you pretend to look in a few stores you should be fine. Sometimes the mall allow people in to walk around before the stores open.

I know where I am there is a leisure access program that gives free membership to the municipal pool / gym if you can show you have a low income. But I'm in Canada, and everything rocks here, so.....

Good luck. Cheers! :drinker:
  • rob1976
    rob1976 Posts: 1,328 Member
    Options
    If you get ESPN Classic, they show reruns of Jack LaLanne's old exercise show.

If not, he has a bunch of videos on his website: http://www.jacklalanne.com/watch-jack/
  • ShannonECTD
    ShannonECTD Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    Get some workout DVDs, jillian Michaels programs are pretty cheap $10 each. All you'll need for those is a couple sets of dumbbells, try craigslist for those or play it again sports if you have one in your area... if you don't walmart has em for a decent price. Walmart also has adjustable dumbbells that got to like 24lbs or something which is great for a beginner.

You could try a program from Beachbody, like Turbo Jam or Chalean Extreme and do a few monthly payments on them too I don't sell that stuff but you can just go to their website. :smile:
  • Celeigh12
    Celeigh12 Posts: 763 Member
    Options
    Walk.
  • alikona22
    alikona22 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    What do you guys do if you can't afford to get a membership at the gym and you have no gym equipment at your house? On top of that it's freezing outside. Just wondering what you all do for fitness and exercise when you mainly can't afford to go to the gym and you have no gym equipment at home.

I need to do some exercise because just counting calories doesn't seem to be working for me.

I'd reassess how much you're eating and if you may have any underlying medical conditions before you claim it isn't workign for ou

I'm trying my best to stick to my calories on MFP. I do have PCOS, which I was told that it makes it harder for me to lose weight. But I don't want to use that as an excuse.

I have PCOS as well, so I understand your struggle! I feel like others can simply cut out some calories or add in some more cardio and they lose weight quickly, but for me it requires being strict and dedicated to eating a low-glycemic diet, lots of cardio, strength training, and stretching. Just wanted to let you know that you're not alone!
  • Shelialouise66
    Options
    Make sure you have a library card and check out video's. I have digital cable and sometimes, I get bored, with the dvd's that I have, so I go on demand and try out a workout.

I spent 5 bucks, got a hula hoop and I burn over 100 calories in 10 minutes. I am starting slow and working my way up. Oh and don't forget places like Goodwill, dvd's for 2.99. Just takes a little creativity but you can get it done on a budget.

Forgot about the hospital that I work at, offers all types of health and wellness classes to the public, so try your local hospital and see what they offer. Many gyms will give you a free 1 week trial as well.
  • Sweet_Potato
    Sweet_Potato Posts: 1,119 Member
    Options
    I don't think anyone's mentioned it yet, but there are a ton of Living Social/Groupon-type deals out there and many of them end up being pretty cheap. I've gotten Jazzercise classes for $4 apiece, yoga classes for $3, Bikram for $6. I've even seen yoga deals for just $1 a class.

Also, look for deals during slow times of the year. Bikram classes, for example, always go on sale in the summer when no one in their right mind wants to be in a sweltering hot room. A lot of fitness studios also offer the first class for free.

Finally, make sure you haven't overlooked any free or cheap stuff in your area. I didn't know my city had free aquatic centers until I moved next door to one! This time of year I like to take advantage of the ice skating rinks which aren't too expensive. And once it gets warmer there will be a lot of outdoor yoga and pilates classes that are normally free.
  • lacurandera1
    lacurandera1 Posts: 8,083 Member
    Options
    youtube. tons and tons of vids. Also slowly amassed a meager set of weights. Bought stuff little by little.
  • okidoki7
    okidoki7 Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    lots of great ideas on here :)
  • jilliew
    jilliew Posts: 255 Member
    Options

Sometimes I do Zumba on the Wii in my livingroom, and before someone bought that for me I looked up a workout online (that included pushups, situps and other calisthenics like that).

Most of the time I walk. Outside. In the cold. I live in Alberta, Canada. It's -20*C right now, -30*C with the windchill. That's -22*F. How cold can it possibly be where you are? ;)
  • karllundy
    karllundy Posts: 1,490 Member
    Options
    If there is a YMCA branch in your area, check them out. They offer financial assistance for those who qualify. I don't qualify for that, but my employer partners with the Y for reduced memberships for employees, which is nice.

This!! My YMCA Membership is only $23/month.