Can't Afford It...

Options

Replies

• obsidianwings
    obsidianwings Posts: 1,237 Member
    Options
    I bought gym equipment for my house, bit by bit at good prices. Much cheaper than a gym membership.
    Also have some DVDs I borrowed from the internet ;)
  • Caryn03
    Caryn03 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    Thank you everyone for the wonderful and ideas or what has worked for you. I appreciate everyone's feed back and plan to look into a bunch of these things.

It helps to know there is a community out there who is willing to help and give back for what they have learned to help others. I plan to do the same... as soon as I have things figured out for what works best for me I plan to share with others who are in need of help.

I know a lot of questions were asked is if I can really afford it. Well, I work full time, a part time job ever other weekend and looking to see if I can get another part timer during the week. My husband is going back to school to become a teacher, which I support him whole heartedly. So, I want to be sure that I can afford most of our bills without having him worry about it at all. On top of that we are TTC and with PCOS it isn't easy and we have to go thru a fertiality clinic, which most of the things we have done so far isn't cheap. I don't want to use any of this as an excuse. So, that is why I went to the MFP community to get ideas and suggestions.

I don't know why, but I never thought of YouTube. And how come I have never heard of nerdfitness.com until this thread. Lots of good and interesting stuff on here and I'm looking forward to figuring out what will work best for me. And I'm not giving up on counting my calories, I was just saying that counting calories alone didn't seem to be working, so I thought more exercise would be worth a shot to include in my daily routines.
  • healthilybeautiful
    Options
    You can dance, its fun & free!
  • spfldpam
    spfldpam Posts: 738 Member
    Options
    I did Leslie Sansone walk at home dvd's and other exercise dvds before I joined a gym a couple weeks ago. I also bought some dumbells and stretching bands to work with too.
    Planet Fitness has a $10 a month membership with no yearly contract. Cheapest place to join that I know of. I joined in Dec 2012 and the new gym in my town just opened 2 weeks ago. I have been there 8 times so far. I think I am getting my $10 a month worth!
    Good luck!
  • deedee303z
    Options
    I use the stairs at work--a LOT. At home I use the park--they have some serious hiking trails and the monkey bars are good for pullups. At home in the house, A manual (non-electronic) treadmill that I got at a second hand shop for $40, Wii with various fitness games, and dvds. You can also download fitness videos on NetFlix if you have that (I don't anymore, however I did in the past).
  • LisaMia66
    Options
    YouTube videos like FitnessBlender (do a search on YT for them). Videos on Dr. Oz. Netflix. Videos from the library or an occasional rental from the video store. Borrow equipment and/or videos from friend, maybe even try a swap. You might be able to find videos and equipment off of Craigslist or eBay. Buildings with multiple floors to use the stairs. Malls often have walking programs in the morning. The options are endless.
  • sissiluv
    sissiluv Posts: 2,205 Member
    Options
    Free work out vids on youtube are awesome. You can specify your lack of equipment too!
    This one is one of my faves so far--> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S6i02E0hRQM
  • EatClean_WashUrNuts
    EatClean_WashUrNuts Posts: 1,590 Member
    Options
    SUCK IT UP BUTTERCUP!:laugh:

Ask yourself this... Ho bad do you want it? If you want it bad, you find ways. If you dont, you wont.
  • rotill
    rotill Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    How cold is it where you are? I didn't start running until a couple months ago when it was getting chilly. Granted, NC isn't exactly known for brutal winters but I still find myself jogging in 40 degree weather pretty frequently. Also, as far as the gym membership goes I'd ask yourself how much it's worth to you and is there something else you can cut out if it is worth it. My gym is pretty cheap so money was never an issue but before I got serious I never went often "because I didn't have time." So one day I just shut off my cable. Guess, what? I had lots of time (and money too).

It's not freezing where I am. And the cold isn't that big of an issue. I do go on walks/runs because I love to be outside. It's just when it does get really cold I have a hard time breathing in the cold when I'm running. So I usually do walking then. And I could probably shut off my TV more often to get things done and have more time.

If it's not freezing, I recommend that you have a word with your doctor about those breathing problems. Cold does affect breathing, but until it gets really cold and dry - well below freezing - cold is supposed to make breathing easier by calming and opening the airways, not harder. If it's the temperature and not just that you're a bit out of shape, then you might have a problem.

As for PCOS: My sister has it as well, but the moment she changed her diet to a low glycemic index diet (low gi) she got much better. The doctors didn't think she would be able to have children naturally, but she got pregnant three times after eating slow, healthy carbs rather than fast, processed carbs. If you manage to change your diet, you will find that losing weight will just get easier as you get healthier, and the correct diet can remove most of your symptoms.
  • Kristinam921
    Kristinam921 Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    Jillian Michael's DVDS!!! They are cheap and effective!!! 10 bucks at Wal-mart!
  • pscyoryda
    Options
    I do workout videos which can be free. For example, JIllian Michaels 30 day shred is on YouTube for free! There are a lot of free workouts of YouTube.

so how do you know how many calories you burn when you do these? I am trying to be really good keeping track.
  • Wanting2BSkinny
    Options
    bump...great thread
  • StellaHarmon
    StellaHarmon Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Planet fitness is only $10 per month. The main thing is get your heart rate up and sweat. Some of the best fitness exercises are using your own body. Squats, lunges, push ups, jog in place, burpees, and things of this nature. There are also some fantastic DVDs. Which is a cheap investment. I would suggest Debbie Siebers slim series. I lost my first 40 lbs in 3.5 months with her workouts. Your health is the best investment you will ever make. Health is wealth!
  • primalcupcakes
    Options
    Most libraries have a selection of exercise DVDs you can check out. Fun and free! Also, to reiterate what everyone else is saying, youtube has tons of exercise routines.
  • Lupercalia
    Lupercalia Posts: 1,857 Member
    Options
    You can get a great workout at home by simply doing bodyweight exercises. Look up Convict Conditioning. xx
  • astylla
    astylla Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    What do you guys do if you can't afford to get a membership at the gym and you have no gym equipment at your house? On top of that it's freezing outside. Just wondering what you all do for fitness and exercise when you mainly can't afford to go to the gym and you have no gym equipment at home.

I need to do some exercise because just counting calories doesn't seem to be working for me.

I started with Sparkpeople.com videos on Youtube. Great variety of wokouts and you can use household items to do different things. There is always an excuse we can make to not get healthy but in the end we have to want it enough to make it happen.
    Good luck!
  • gabegrammy
    gabegrammy Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    Go to you tube and do aerobics with Leslie Sansone, she has 1 mile, 2 mile, and 3 mile walk at home videos. Love them, great work out
    Viki
  • IzzyBooNZ1
    IzzyBooNZ1 Posts: 1,289 Member
    Options
    Fitness blender is great! They have their own website and are on youtube
  • Yogi_Carl
    Yogi_Carl Posts: 1,906 Member
    Options
    You can get a great workout at home by simply doing bodyweight exercises. Look up Convict Conditioning. xx

^^^ yep! great book
  • Northwest_Bob
    Northwest_Bob Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    NW Bob spent almost $900 on a gym last year and rarely used it. It gets below freezing here and rains a lot. I just dress for the weather and get outside and walk, usually with the dog. (Yellow labs are impervious to weather.:smile: ) Indoors, I do floor exercises and stretching: sit ups, push ups, knee bends, stretches and so on. At work I always take the stairs and take a 15 minute walk at lunch. Even if all you do is take a walk each morning, it will boost your metabolism for most of the day. Any movement will begat more movement. Just do something and you will be pleasantly surprised. Good luck with your program. You can do it. Just keep at it.