STOP IT WITH THE FOOD PUSHING!!!

Options
I just need to vent for a second here. I have a friend at work (skinny, of course) who has seriously horrible eating habits and is one of the most weight-obsessed people I've ever met. I love her but she drives me NUTS with the food pushing! We spent about 15 minutes during lunch talking about food and what I am trying to do to lose weight. An hour later, and she's IM'ing me to see if I want a pecan roll. Seriously?

I and others have given her grief about the food pushing over the years, and she has acknowledged that she does this. Yet it simply will not stop. It is in her nature to be generous and share with her friends, but sometimes I wonder if it's a secret/subconscious plot to keep me fat. Thankfully my willpower has shifted a great deal over the years in terms of not eating junk food, but just dealing with the nuisance of a food pusher is enough to make me want to go down to the vending machine and go apesh*t on a pack of Reese's Cups!!

Anyone else have one of these people in their life? How do you deal with it?

Replies

• stines72
    stines72 Posts: 853 Member
    Options
    My family pushes food on me every single day. I just say "why are you doing that?" I've developed a strong will power and don't even think twice about saying no.
  • jilliew
    jilliew Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    I usually just say "No thank you." It really works wonders.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    Maybe being the skinny girl is all she thinks she has going, and if you lose weight she will have nothing left.
  • FredDoyle
    FredDoyle Posts: 2,273 Member
    Options
    I know from where you're coming!
    Now relax and have a nice sweet creamy hot cup of coffee and a nice sticky bun to settle your nerves.
  • ubermensch13
    ubermensch13 Posts: 824 Member
    Options
    learn the word no
    /end thread
  • brandymandycandy
    Options
    I know from where you're coming!
    Now relax and have a nice sweet creamy hot cup of coffee and a nice sticky bun to settle your nerves.

Make sure to add whip cream :wink:
  • fightininggirl
    fightininggirl Posts: 792 Member
    Options
    oh yes my step grandma. but she food pushes the other way and barks at me about everything I eat even if its healthy food. when she comes back from her trip she won't be able to do it because I weigh less than she does now. oh the joys
  • KittieLea
    KittieLea Posts: 1,156 Member
    Options
    Just say "NO"!
  • aylajane
    aylajane Posts: 979 Member
    Options
    I come from a long line of food pushers... my brother is the worst - he will hold something up and say "try this" and as you are forming the word "no" (picture it - mouth open in circular formation) he shoves the food in. Now THAT is food pushing :)
  • debwagner31
    debwagner31 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I had the same thing with a co-worker and sometimes NO doesn't get through their skinny heads. I had to go to my dark side and say "oh so since I'm fat I'll eat anything, is that what you're saying" , she never asked me again if I wanted anything.
  • brandymandycandy
    Options
    On a serious note, I understand where you are coming from.

My husband is a food pusher and I'm constantly telling him NO, but it gets exhausting, learn to have some respect for the person trying to lose weight.
  • LindseyAlyssa
    Options
    I live with my family and that happens all the time. You just learn to say "no thanks" and move on to what you were doing before they asked.
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options
    Doesnt sound like a very good friend! That would get old very fast, and I'd probably start to avoid her like the plague.
  • jennyrebekka
    jennyrebekka Posts: 626 Member
    Options
    maybe next time you can offer her a big ol CUP O' SHUT-THE-HELL-UP!

people just get into habits...and dont' realize or care how their actions affect others.....it sucks
  • Fightin2GetFit
    Fightin2GetFit Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    I had the same thing with a co-worker and sometimes NO doesn't get through their skinny heads. I had to go to my dark side and say "oh so since I'm fat I'll eat anything, is that what you're saying" , she never asked me again if I wanted anything.

OMG you're so funny! That cracked me up. I can't believe you said that :-)
  • Rawr1978
    Rawr1978 Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    My mother pushes food on me, i've just recently started saying, "no thanks". Does it annoy me, since she knows im trying to lose weight? Yes. It makes it seem like she isnt even listening to me.
    My boyfriend has just started to realize that im NOT going to eat the same dinner as he does anymore. I cant. They're a good 1000 calories each.
  • BellaLunaFleur
    BellaLunaFleur Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    My aunt says her new year resolution every year is to make her friends fatter instead of the typical i am going to lose weight resolution. Its funny and she is only kidding but I understand where you are coming from I know a few people who push food on purpose.
  • PatrickSwayzesGhost
    PatrickSwayzesGhost Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    You say, "JAY LE-NO! NO!"
  • mollylookalike
    mollylookalike Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    my co-workers think it's funny. they all know that I'm working really hard, and they bring in bag after bag of Reese's pumpkins, hearts, eggs... because ONE DAY i had one (and logged it, and worked out over and above those calories) - now they throw stuff at me (that's how we get each other's attention - we all wear headphones all day) and say things like "well EVERYTIME i ask you say to give you one..." ONE TIME is not EVERY TIME.

end rant.

:noway:
  • Maris_Swan
    Maris_Swan Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    My office is overstocked with food, snacks, etc. Learn to say NO! Pack your own snacks, find healthier alternatives. Hang in there!