Waitress fired for posting this online

Options

Replies

• wnbrice
    wnbrice Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    Being a customer does not = the right to be a d***.

When you are being a d*** you are supposed to get s*** for it, otherwise how are you to learn when you are being a d***?

Seems fine to me.

The customer was violating the rules that are clearly posted on the menus for parties of individuals.

Then again it is always fun to meet people who have never worked in retail or any service industries. You can spot them a mile away with how they treat people or respond to situations like this.

I hate when companies protect customers instead of their staff.
  • kazmurphblin
    kazmurphblin Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    I think the so called pastor was a bit of a **** for the way he put it... but, i do think that tipping is a bit of a horrible practice, No-one else gets tips, my job is a hell of a lot harder than being a waitress, I get no tips, and i don't complain about my pay cheque,

I think its pretty unfair that i have to earn my money without expecting pity handouts, struggle to pay the food prices a a 'nice place' and they go ahead and add a ridiculous percentage onto the bill for already overpriced food.

That being said, if i do have a particularly nice sever i will tip them directly, instead of it going through the books.

And I'm sure you make at least minimum wage; servers do NOT make minimum wage. Their income is dependent on tips

And you must live in the backwoods; some po-dunk area b/c my RENT alone is $600 and that's cheap compared to other places.

I dont know what you do for a living and I dont know how you think you know how hard this woman works in comparison to yourself? Perhaps you should become a waitress and then youll get the ips (or not) that you envy? Point is not how hard done by you are, point is she LOST her job and beats you hands down now! Its not a handout she not claiming welfare! She providing a service to the best of her ability hoping that it will be appreciated. To actually write that on the bill from a god fearing person is outrageous!! Just dont tip... leave out the nasty comment.
  • penrbrown
    penrbrown Posts: 2,685 Member
    Options

If you choose to go out in society and eat in an establishment where you are waited on by a staff, and you don't go through a line and get your own food...you are accepting the societal rules that state you tip.

IF you're in a culture where the rule is that you tip. Plenty of cultures DON'T tip.
  • Deipneus
    Deipneus Posts: 1,862 Member
    Options
    GOOD FOR APPLEBEE'S!
    I think we can tell who the cheap tippers are.
  • kazmurphblin
    Options
    The waitress was fired after the horrible b****, Pastor Alois Bell, called the restaurant and demanded she be fired. Now, she's complaining to everybody who will listen that this "lapse in judgement destroyed her reputation." What an awful woman. If I ever see her in the street, I'll spit on her.

OMG how awfull!!
  • kmbweber2014
    kmbweber2014 Posts: 680 Member
    Options
    According to the article I read the group as a whole made a cash tip for the waitress, so it's not that she didn't tip. She did tip in cash she did not allow the 18% to be added on as well. Having been a waitress I would have rather had the cash then have the tip go through the credit card anyway.
  • AJL_Daddy
    AJL_Daddy Posts: 525 Member
    Options
    GOOD FOR APPLEBEE'S!

I haven't tipped under 20% since I was a teenager!
  • Deipneus
    Options
    According to the article I read the group as a whole made a cash tip for the waitress, so it's not that she didn't tip.
    That's what the pastor CLAIMED later.
  • heatherheyns
    heatherheyns Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    GOOD FOR APPLEBEE'S!

Not really. We can tell who values customer privacy. I've worked doing special orders before. I would completely expect to be fired if I posted private information publicly in order to humiliate a customer because I didn't like something they did,. Was the pastor a jerk? Yes, no question about that. However, it doesn't give you the right to break policy and exploit private information like that either. If this was accepted, it opens the gate for servers to do this for any reason. The response was appropriate. She should have known that wasn't okay to do.
  • kmbweber2014
    Options
    From what I read it's what the group said, not just the pastor.
  • Deipneus
    Options
    From what I read it's what the group said, not just the pastor.
    I would love to see the link. I'll withdraw my criticism if I'm convinced.
  • wildchild06241
    wildchild06241 Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    I understand that certain individuals need tips to survive. Waiters, Waitresses, Hairdressers, etc. But requireing a certain amount for the tip defeats the purpose in my book. Tips are for exceptional services. I tip accoudingly. For 10% on up to 20% or more. You give me good service I give you a good tip. I had a Birthday party for my adult daughter a few years back. Because there were more than 8 in our party the tip was automatically added to my bill. The service we received was horrible. We waited over 30 minutes for the waitress to come get our drink orders. The drinks came to us 30 minutes later and without straws! When we received out meals one of my party didn't get a meal. (The only pregnant one!). I beleive the waitress knew her tip was guaranteed and didn't care. I demanded to speak to the manager and relayed our experience to her. The amount of the tip was lowered. I would have preferred to give her no tip at all but I paid.

As for the waitress scanning and posting that online.....she deserves to be fired!
  • Liatush
    Liatush Posts: 627 Member
    Options
    Take a moment to like the waitress page: https://www.facebook.com/HireBackChelsea
  • kmbweber2014
    Options
    And she could have been a crappy server. Who knows?
  • jr1985
    jr1985 Posts: 1,033 Member
    Options
    I think both the pastor's response, and the waitresses seem a bit extreme... but since I work in insurance...yep having an employee that posts receipts with personal information of restaurant patrons is a liability risk that you can't afford to keep on staff as far as the business is concerned... If she wanted to complain about it... I can understand her frustration about the situation... but posting that pic with their personal information is just a potential lawsuit waiting to happen.
  • Deipneus
    Options
    The response was appropriate. She should have known that wasn't okay to do.
    No matter how you feel, the customers are mostly voting against Applebee's. The server is out a job that paid $3.50 per hour plus tips (when they don't get stiffed) for an employer who cares nothing for her. Applebee's is losing much more. I can't boycott them though. I haven't been in an Applebee's in years.
  • AJL_Daddy
    AJL_Daddy Posts: 525 Member
    Options
    And she could have been a crappy server. Who knows?

^^^^ THIS! Maybe she didn't DESERVE 18%. Maybe she sucked at her JOB!
  • kazmurphblin
    Options
    From what I can tell it was never said if the other 19 people left a tip on the table. From the messages here we also don't know what kind of service the waitress gave. I have been in large groups and been served the wrong food, very slow, attitude etc. Should I be required to pay the tip?
    We walk into a restaurant sit down and have to wait to be waited on then we have to tip. We walk into a retail establishment and people wait on us, friendly, nice helpful and it is not a requirement and we don't tip. Something is messed up. I feel the restaurants need to pay their people like every other place of employment has to at least minimum wage. The price of food may go up but then we would not be required to tip. It becomes an option.

The waitress shoul not have posted the receipt putting the place where she works in bad light. The Pastor should not have written what she did because it is not the waitresses fault. But by placing the article on line the waitress lowered herself to the level of the person she was putting down. Two wrongs don't make a right.

The pastor wasnt complaining about her service, just that fact that she didnt want to leave a tip I think she would have mentioned that if it was a problem, after all she didnt have a problem dragging GOD into it!
  • kazmurphblin
    Options
    Take a moment to like the waitress page: https://www.facebook.com/HireBackChelsea
    [/quote
    liked
  • Deipneus
    Options
    ... after all she didnt have a problem dragging GOD into it!
    I think that's what pushed me over the edge.