Waitress fired for posting this online

Options

Replies

• IsabellaC45
    IsabellaC45 Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    PLEASE show me where you live that you can live off 300 a month. Can I move in? I SURE would love to live with you!

You're arguing ad hominem now, but if it will amuse you, I live in Manchester.
  • BeingAwesome247
    BeingAwesome247 Posts: 1,171 Member
    Options
    I think the so called pastor was a bit of a **** for the way he put it... but, i do think that tipping is a bit of a horrible practice, No-one else gets tips, my job is a hell of a lot harder than being a waitress, I get no tips, and i don't complain about my pay cheque,

I think its pretty unfair that i have to earn my money without expecting pity handouts, struggle to pay the food prices a a 'nice place' and they go ahead and add a ridiculous percentage onto the bill for already overpriced food.

That being said, if i do have a particularly nice sever i will tip them directly, instead of it going through the books.

And I'm sure you make at least minimum wage; servers do NOT make minimum wage. Their income is dependent on tips

And you must live in the backwoods; some po-dunk area b/c my RENT alone is $600 and that's cheap compared to other places.
  • jarrodburroughs7
    Options
    The waitress was fired after the horrible b****, Pastor Alois Bell, called the restaurant and demanded she be fired. Now, she's complaining to everybody who will listen that this "lapse in judgement destroyed her reputation." What an awful woman. If I ever see her in the street, I'll spit on her.
  • MaraDiaz
    MaraDiaz Posts: 4,604 Member
    Options
    It was appropriate to fire the waitress. If I believed in hell, I'd hope the pastor roasts in it. She is a worthless waste of space on Earth and a fine example of why I will never again listen to a human being talk about gods.
  • takaiisan
    takaiisan Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I think the so called pastor was a bit of a **** for the way he put it... but, i do think that tipping is a bit of a horrible practice, No-one else gets tips, my job is a hell of a lot harder than being a waitress, I get no tips, and i don't complain about my pay cheque,

I think its pretty unfair that i have to earn my money without expecting pity handouts, struggle to pay the food prices a a 'nice place' and they go ahead and add a ridiculous percentage onto the bill for already overpriced food.

That being said, if i do have a particularly nice sever i will tip them directly, instead of it going through the books.

And I'm sure you make at least minimum wage; servers do NOT make minimum wage. Their income is dependent on tips

And you must live in the backwoods; some po-dunk area b/c my RENT alone is $600 and that's cheap compared to other places.

"tipped labor must be paid a minimum of $2.13 per hour, as long as the hourly wage plus tipped income result in a minimum of $7.25 per hour. The employer must pay the difference if total income does not add up to $7.25 per hour." <-- US minimum wage policy...

Also, not everyone can afford a place to rent, perhaps i live with many other people? perhaps i only have a fraction of rent to pay?
  • HeelsAndBoxingGloves
    Options
    I really don't want to read through all 8 pages about this right now but from the few posts I did read there seems to be a lack of reading the first article from when this controversy started. The pastor - who is a women - and the rest of her party actually ended up leaving a tip in cash, which was not shown in the picture. From her statement that she made, on top of the cash tip she left the waitress went ahead and charged her card for the original tip amount shown also. The pastor really shouldn't have done what she did, but as always we don't even have the whole story. Maybe the waitress didn't serve them as well as they had expected to be served and that was the reason for the snide comment? Who knows. Just my 2 cents.
  • IronSmasher
    IronSmasher Posts: 3,908 Member
    Options
    There is no privacy issue, there isn't even a issue of bringing the restruants name into disrepute. She broke no company policies.

Why she thought a guy who doesn't pay income tax should pay tips, I've no idea.
  • JingleMuffin
    JingleMuffin Posts: 543 Member
    Options
    I have heard of something similar to this happening before, but with people leaving religious pamphlets instead of a tip. Really, it's douchey. I don't care what your religion is, you should tip somebody who is providing you with a service because they don't make a lot of money otherwise, and leaving pamphlets for them probably won't convert them to your religion. So really, you aren't doing anybody a favor. As for getting fired, I think she should have blurred the name on the receipt, but I probably would have done the same thing.

Lol right. i dont have enough money to pay all my bills.. now i dont have any tip for doing my job, oh but whats this! a pamphlet... oh yeah this is way better than money, i think i'll read and agree with it because im in such a good frame of mind right now. :)
  • d_Mode
    d_Mode Posts: 880 Member
    Options
    Tightwad should have tipped!

I think it's funny the customer is in the clergy...how godlike of them.
    I would like to go to church and put a note in the tip jar. I give my servers 20%...why does God need my money?
  • perfectingpatti
    perfectingpatti Posts: 1,037 Member
    Options
    If I believed in hell, I'd hope the pastor roasts in it. She is a worthless waste of space on Earth and a fine example of why I will never again listen to a human being talk about gods.

Yet, you as a human being who doesn't believe in God, just called another human being a "worthless waste of space on Earth" for not leaving a full 18% tip? Wow.
  • RhonndaJ
    RhonndaJ Posts: 1,615 Member
    Options
    I have mixed feelings about this.

No the server should not have put a copy of the slip into the public domain, but tell the story? Sure, because the pastor writing on the slip that way was horribly rude.

Now, I don't know what sort of service he/she received, maybe it warranted not giving the server a tip, to which a more adult approach would have been to explained calmly and quietly to the server why he/she was not paying the gratuity.

I, too, have declined to pay a tip in some circumstances, but it's never been done rudely. I have also paid over and above the tip on the check if the service has been excellent.
  • Christizzzle
    Christizzzle Posts: 454 Member
    Options
    I don't think that the waitress should have been fired. What a Pastor does in public is just that: public record. I don't think there was anything wrong with her publically posting this. I would have done the same thing.

I can't wait to pick my Pastors brain on this subject. Not very Christian of her at all.
  • MaraDiaz
    MaraDiaz Posts: 4,604 Member
    Options
    If I believed in hell, I'd hope the pastor roasts in it. She is a worthless waste of space on Earth and a fine example of why I will never again listen to a human being talk about gods.

Yet, you as a human being who doesn't believe in God, just called another human being a "worthless waste of space on Earth" for not leaving a full 18% tip? Wow.

That isn't why I called her a waste of space. I called her a waste of space for not practicing what she preaches and then for dragging her god in as justification for it.

She ought to give everything she has to the poor and spend her time on Earth caring for the sick, visiting the imprisoned, and feeding the hungry. Why does she have time to eat out anyway? Dumb hypocrite.
  • takaiisan
    takaiisan Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Also, a direct quote from the waitress fired "I make less than $9/hr on average, before taxes.”... Oh look, its more than minimum wage!
  • smtillman2
    smtillman2 Posts: 756 Member
    Options
    The server shouln't have posted the customers info on line. Firing her was valid.

I can't believe the pastor compared giving 10% of her salary to 18% of her food bill? If her service was poor that should have been taken up with a manager. If you have an issue with them telling you how much to tip fine, take it up with the manager, but don't blame it on your religion. Not tipping anything at all just makes her a jerk.
  • AJL_Daddy
    AJL_Daddy Posts: 525 Member
    Options
    I tip 20% or more at restaurants, but I wouldn't if I was forced to do it! This was a totally warrented firing!
  • EmilyOfTheSun
    EmilyOfTheSun Posts: 1,548 Member
    Options
    The customer was obviously a d*ck. But it was pretty stupid of her to post that. Hope she learned her lesson. Keep your work *kitten* away from social network sites.
  • Deipneus
    Deipneus Posts: 1,862 Member
    Options
    Applebee's corporate-lawyerly response ticked me off. They cited chapter and verse from their policy manual. I HATE that. Override the manual and talk like a human being! It wasn't the best decision to post it online but you don't want customers like that anyway do you?!

They lost a great opportunity to show, not tell, show, their employees that they are valuable and deserve respect.

The customer is not always right. I learned that years ago from one of my first business heroes, Herb Kelleher, former CEO of Southwest Airlines.

In his 1998 book, Nuts! He had this to say about the idea that the customer is always right:

“No, they are not, and I think that’s one of the biggest betrayals of employees a boss can possibly commit. The customer is sometimes wrong. We don’t carry those sorts of customers. We write to them and say, ‘Fly somebody else. Don’t abuse our people.’”
  • bmqbonnie
    bmqbonnie Posts: 836 Member
    Options
    I work at Applebee's and my particular region at least treats employees better than they really have to. For example, by law here it's okay to pay servers sub minimum wage, but they do pay it anyway.

I don't think it was a bad thing to put this up online. I do think it was incredibly stupid of her to say where she worked, and probably to not black out the name. And the pastor is a dirt bag and is making her look like a bigger *kitten* by throwing a stink over it- what do you expect when you write a note like that? It's not going to make anyone like you.

The church crowd is actually the worst. Very common to get come to Jesus pamphlets instead of tips. So this doesn't shock me. Wonder if this pastor cheats on writeoffs too.

If you can't afford to tip appropriately, you can't afford to eat at a sit down restaurant.
  • allisona28
    allisona28 Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    People shouldn't have to leave a tip if they don't want to!!!

Ok...Make 4.67 an hour and bring home your paycheck for TWO WEEKS amounting to 120.00. Tell me you can live off that.
    LOVE !!! You are absolutely right!!! When I was a server....ummm 15 years ago, our wage was $1.01 an hour...geez.