never heard the term "skinny fat" before joining this forum

Options

Replies

• bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    I thought it referred to those who were naturally thin, but had terrible eating habits. I grew up super thin but ate *kitten* all the time.

It does in some circles. My BIL fits this description. He is thin with low BF%, but he was told he had too much visceral fat and was pre-diabetic. He is skinny fat, even though weight, BMI and BF% are all normal.
  • konerusp
    konerusp Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    at first i thought people were talking about women who are skinny but with thick thighs or arms.

then i see pictures of what people are considering "skinny fat", and it's pretty much skinny people who don't have that beach body.

stop being insecure, people. any person who is fat or obese would kill to be "skinny fat"

NOT true!!i did diet down to look skinny,but i was no where close to being happy with my body,then i bulked to build muscle and now im losing at a slower rate ,now i look exactly like when i was 150lbs now but I weight 170lbs with much more definition and muscle.Im much happier to be toned and heavier than be skinny fat.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    I don't get how someone can be forced to feel shame because of what someone else said. For me, shame comes from within, not from other people. IMO that's a character flaw and people who can be shamed by others should be ashamed of themselves.

QFT :heart:
  • chocl8girl
    chocl8girl Posts: 1,968 Member
    Options
    I don't get how someone can be forced to feel shame because of what someone else said. For me, shame comes from within, not from other people. IMO that's a character flaw and people who can be shamed by others should be ashamed of themselves.

:heart:
  • WendyTerry420
    Options
    at first i thought people were talking about women who are skinny but with thick thighs or arms.

then i see pictures of what people are considering "skinny fat", and it's pretty much skinny people who don't have that beach body.

stop being insecure, people. any person who is fat or obese would kill to be "skinny fat"

NOT true!!i did diet down to look skinny,but i was no where close to being happy with my body,then i bulked to build muscle and now im losing at a slower rate ,now i look exactly like when i was 150lbs now but I weight 170lbs with much more definition and muscle.Im much happier to be toned and heavier than be skinny fat.

I agree! Muscles are awesome! :flowerforyou:
  • BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    Options
    How are you guys measuring body fat percentage?

I did see a journalist in a documentary being told he was "skinny fat" but that was after an MRI scan to look at the amount of visceral fat.

I also wonder about percentages - how meaningful are they?

As an example, if I eat a particular diet which has a certain percentage of energy from each of the main food groups I would be able to quote how much energy comes from fat, lets say 30%. If I then make one single change - I miss out two pieces of toast - that would mean that I was eating less carbohydrate. That means, as a percentage the proportion of energy from fat is now higher but that is because it is a bigger part of a smaller whole. The actual amount of fat in my diet would be unchanged because I had not changed the quantity of any of the things I eat that contain it. If you use the percentages as the yardstick you would conclude that my diet was worse for me by having less toast in it but in practice it may match my energy expenditure better.

Likewise with the relative percentages of fat and lean body mass. If I have a certain percentage of fat which, lets assume, falls in the category of being too much, if I then built some muscle (and get heavier as a result) that means the fat is now a smaller percentage of my total mass. Does that really mean I am healthier?

There will be some variation in the amount of muscle someone has and where they have it depending on what they do. Someone whose exercise consists mainly of walking, running, or cycling would tend to have more muscular legs and a less muscular upper body that someone who rows or goes rock climbing and the variation happens because the body maintains the muscles at the strength required for what you asks of them and no more.

I wonder if this is another case where an absolute may be better than a relative. At the moment we have an approximate target weight range based on height (BMI) and then a target percentage of fat. Would we be better off to say that we should have a certain weight of fat, related to height, and that the amount of muscle is allowed to vary?

As an example, for my height a healthy BMI would mean weighing between 56.7kg and 76.6kg. Using the healthly fat percentage for a man as quoted earlier in this thread that means having between 10.2kg of fat (56.7 x 18%) and 19.15kg of fat (76.6 x 25%)

It is tough to measure body fat correctly. I had to get an MRI. It turned out the MRI was not needed and was actually only given to me because my mid section and visceral fat is so low, and as a result of that sometimes (when I was exercising, doing glute bridges) it would happen to be that my colon (which normally changes in size by a slight amount) would stick out of my abdomen. My doctor at the time was not very experienced and did not know either why this would happen, so she wanted me to get an MRI to see if there was something wrong. And the outcome of my MRI was actually that I have low visceral fat. It actually said diminutive on my medical chart. Anyway, it was a silly over reaction, but at least my doctor was being vigilant. I have a new doctor now.

My husband is a physicist and when I want to measure my body fat he can set up a dunk test for me. But, I'm pretty happy with just what I see in the mirror, and with my measurements.
  • funkycamper
    funkycamper Posts: 998 Member
    Options
    This is what I think of when I heard skinny fat.

after_zps2156aa01.gif

When I was a teen, I was way skinny (160Lbs when I joined the Marines) and I was considered Skinny fat because I was "Soft". I can assure you that boot camp Changed that, after all the exercise and double rat meals, I graduated weighing 180lbs of muscle. When I got out of the Marines I just got Fat!

OMG! Winner.
  • Aviva92
    Aviva92 Posts: 2,333 Member
    Options

Count me out of that category! I would much rather be fat and strong than to be skinny and weak.

I highly doubt it ever comes down to choosing between the two. Someone who never lifted weights in their life does not go from fat and strong to skinny and weak unless they do something extremely stupid or they get sick. Just normal dieting will not result in that.

The more likely scenario is that a fat person at say 45% body fat becomes a thin person at something like 25% body fat and the skinny fat shamers come down on the person. They are overall much more healthy at 25% body fat than at 45% body fat.

When I was 140 pounds, I was not any stronger than I am at 115 pounds, just merely by being fatter. I didn't really lift while losing weight because I had injured myself towards the beginning of dieting. I'm sure that overall, my body fat percentage went down. It always goes down by losing weight if you change nothing else other than diet.
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options

Count me out of that category! I would much rather be fat and strong than to be skinny and weak.

I highly doubt it ever comes down to choosing between the two. Someone who never lifted weights in their life does not go from fat and strong to skinny and weak unless they do something extremely stupid or they get sick. Just normal dieting will not result in that.

The more likely scenario is that a fat person at say 45% body fat becomes a thin person at something like 25% body fat and the skinny fat shamers come down on the person. They are overall much more healthy at 25% body fat than at 45% body fat.

When I was 140 pounds, I was not any stronger than I am at 115 pounds, just merely by being fatter. I didn't really lift while losing weight because I had injured myself towards the beginning of dieting. I'm sure that overall, my body fat percentage went down. It always goes down by losing weight if you change nothing else other than diet.

Again, i think you lack the understanding that those people are using it incorrectly.

The term means you are at an acceptable BMI weight vs. Height ratio but you have an OVERWEIGHT or OBESE level of body fat.

That is what the term means.

It has nothing to do with "shaming women for not having muscles". That's stupid and makes no sense. If someone is using it that way than they don't know what the term actually means.

Please please please tell me how I was healthier at a lower weight and 32% (OBESE) body fat than at a higher weight with around 19% body fat.
  • Aviva92
    Options

Again, i think you lack the understanding that those people are using it incorrectly.

The term means you are at an acceptable BMI weight vs. Height ratio but you have an OVERWEIGHT or OBESE level of body fat.

It has nothing to do with "shaming women for not having muscles". That's stupid and makes no sense. If someone is using it that way than they don't know what the term actually means.

Please please please tell me how I was healthier at a lower weight and 32% (OBESE) body fat than at a higher weight with around 19% body fat.

That isn't what I stated. I'm sure that you lifted a lot in order to get to that 19% body fat. The person said they would rather be fat and strong, rather than thin and weak. You seem to be neither of those. What does "fat and strong" even mean? Seems like a useless description. I know that they are using the term incorrectly. That was what I was trying to say.
  • WendyTerry420
    Options

I highly doubt it as well. But I was simply responding to the OP's claim that "everyone" would rather be skinny than fat. Not me. To me, strength, endurance, and muscle mass are WAY more important than how I look in the mirror.
  • WendyTerry420
    Options

That isn't what I stated. I'm sure that you lifted a lot in order to get to that 19% body fat. The person said they would rather be fat and strong, rather than thin and weak. You seem to be neither of those. What does "fat and strong" even mean? Seems like a useless description. I know that they are using the term incorrectly. That was what I was trying to say.

You must have missed this earlier, if you don't know what it means to be both fat and strong.

Check the one that says "Strong Fat (bear mode)" on the bottom right.

35mh9fo.jpg

Edit: the picture is too big. You'll have to see it in a new tab or window:
    http://oi53.tinypic.com/35mh9fo.jpg
  • LiftAllThePizzas
    LiftAllThePizzas Posts: 17,857 Member
    Options
    What does "fat and strong" even mean?
    enhanced-buzz-14745-1340833640-1.jpg

Also, anyone who is 400 lbs and can walk is definitely stronger than I am. When people get fat they do need to have significant musculature to be able to move their body around. They might not be "power lifter" strong or super athletic, but any "weakness" is only relative to the amount of excess fat they need to move around just to do ordinary things.
  • Aviva92
    Options

I highly doubt it as well. But I was simply responding to the OP's claim that "everyone" would rather be skinny than fat. Not me. To me, strength, endurance, and muscle mass are WAY more important than how I look in the mirror.

I don't think that was the point. If we are including strength, endurance and muscle mass, I'll pick thin with those attributes over fat with those attributes. Being skinny does not mean a person can't also be muscular anymore than being fat means it.
  • Aviva92
    Options

Also, anyone who is 400 lbs and can walk is definitely stronger than I am. When people get fat they do need to have significant musculature to be able to move their body around. They might not be "power lifter" strong or super athletic, but any "weakness" is only relative to the amount of excess fat they need to move around just to do ordinary things.

I'd rather be 115 pounds and have feminine muscles that look good than look like that with those muscles. i kind of like to look like a female.

for a non-powerlifter fat person, the excess fat causing weakness sort of nullifies any extra lean muscle they have in my mind.
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options

I'd rather be 115 pounds and have feminine muscles that look good than look like that with those muscles. i kind of like to look like a female.

for a non-powerlifter fat person, the excess fat causing weakness sort of nullifies any extra lean muscle they have in my mind.

WHYYYYYY do you have to always go to the "that person doesn't look female" place, val?

Seriously, earlier in this thread you were so self-righteous about other people shaming women on this site. What do you think you just did?
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    I heard the term skinny fat long, long, long before joining this site. But the first time I truly understood it was after being... um... intimate with a guy who was skinny fat. Dressed, he looked normal. Out of his clothes, he looked like a bad cartoon character. Pot belly, droopy bum, bony chest and arms. He was unapologetic geek who never exercised and ate poorly. And for the record, none of that mattered to me at all and I still had a great time with him, but it was pretty shocking. I'd seen skinny guys. I'd seen fat guys. I never saw someone who was both before.

Last time I tried to lose weight, I was well on my way to becoming skinny fat. My BF% wasn't high enough to really qualify, but at the same weight I am now, I wore clothes about two sizes larger. My hips and waist were two inches larger than they are now. I was soft, squishy and mushy. And the chins... Ugh, the chins. :sad: It was the result of too large of a calorie deficit, not exercising properly and poor nutrition.

I'm strong now and love my muscles, but my goal isn't to be a rock hard fitness model type. I like having slightly higher body fat and softer curves. Plus, when my BF gets too low, it shows too much on my face. But you can be soft, "feminine" (whatever that means) and curvy without being weak and "skinny fat."

No one who truly understands what skinny fat is would wish to be that. No one ever says, "I want to look like I weigh 15 pounds more than I do."
  • Aviva92
    Options

WHYYYYYY do you have to always go to the "that person doesn't look female" place, val?

I do? I said it just now, but I don't recall saying it before.
  • BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    Options

Yeah, this is true!!

And in response to some things that have been said in the thread I also just want to add that what I can do with my body is also more important to me than what it looks like (I am a dancer after all). Although, I do like what I see. But, at one point in the thread I said that I was happy with what I see in the mirror and with my measurements and I was only saying that because what I mean is that at this point I am satisfied with that as a measurement of my bf% and do not feel the need to set up a dunk test (although at some point I will).
  • Rawr1978
    Rawr1978 Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    sure, there's such a thing as "skinny fat". I used to see them in the gym- they'd kill themselves on cardio machines, ignore the strength training section, and their *kitten* were thin, but pretty much hung to the backs of their knees. Zero muscle tone.

Weird. What kind of cardio were they doing that didn't use their glutes??

I did stationary biking, rowing, those didnt use my glutes.