never heard the term "skinny fat" before joining this forum

Options
12346»

Replies

• WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    at first i thought people were talking about women who are skinny but with thick thighs or arms.

then i see pictures of what people are considering "skinny fat", and it's pretty much skinny people who don't have that beach body.

stop being insecure, people. any person who is fat or obese would kill to be "skinny fat"

Count me out of that category! I would much rather be fat and strong than to be skinny and weak.

I highly doubt it ever comes down to choosing between the two. Someone who never lifted weights in their life does not go from fat and strong to skinny and weak unless they do something extremely stupid or they get sick. Just normal dieting will not result in that.

The more likely scenario is that a fat person at say 45% body fat becomes a thin person at something like 25% body fat and the skinny fat shamers come down on the person. They are overall much more healthy at 25% body fat than at 45% body fat.

When I was 140 pounds, I was not any stronger than I am at 115 pounds, just merely by being fatter. I didn't really lift while losing weight because I had injured myself towards the beginning of dieting. I'm sure that overall, my body fat percentage went down. It always goes down by losing weight if you change nothing else other than diet.

I highly doubt it as well. But I was simply responding to the OP's claim that "everyone" would rather be skinny than fat. Not me. To me, strength, endurance, and muscle mass are WAY more important than how I look in the mirror.

I don't think that was the point. If we are including strength, endurance and muscle mass, I'll pick thin with those attributes over fat with those attributes. Being skinny does not mean a person can't also be muscular anymore than being fat means it.

Agreed. (Those weren't the choices the OP gave though. :ohwell:)
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    What does "fat and strong" even mean?
    enhanced-buzz-14745-1340833640-1.jpg

Also, anyone who is 400 lbs and can walk is definitely stronger than I am. When people get fat they do need to have significant musculature to be able to move their body around. They might not be "power lifter" strong or super athletic, but any "weakness" is only relative to the amount of excess fat they need to move around just to do ordinary things.

I'd rather be 115 pounds and have feminine muscles that look good than look like that with those muscles. i kind of like to look like a female.

for a non-powerlifter fat person, the excess fat causing weakness sort of nullifies any extra lean muscle they have in my mind.

WHYYYYYY do you have to always go to the "that person doesn't look female" place, val?

Seriously, earlier in this thread you were so self-righteous about other people shaming women on this site. What do you think you just did?

Agreed! If she doesn't look like a female, then someone needs their eyes checked.
  • Aviva92
    Aviva92 Posts: 2,333 Member
    Options

Also, anyone who is 400 lbs and can walk is definitely stronger than I am. When people get fat they do need to have significant musculature to be able to move their body around. They might not be "power lifter" strong or super athletic, but any "weakness" is only relative to the amount of excess fat they need to move around just to do ordinary things.

I'd rather be 115 pounds and have feminine muscles that look good than look like that with those muscles. i kind of like to look like a female.

for a non-powerlifter fat person, the excess fat causing weakness sort of nullifies any extra lean muscle they have in my mind.

WHYYYYYY do you have to always go to the "that person doesn't look female" place, val?

Seriously, earlier in this thread you were so self-righteous about other people shaming women on this site. What do you think you just did?

Agreed! If she doesn't look like a female, then someone needs their eyes checked.

fine, she looks female, but i don't consider that to be an attractive look.
  • BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    Options
    at first i thought people were talking about women who are skinny but with thick thighs or arms.

then i see pictures of what people are considering "skinny fat", and it's pretty much skinny people who don't have that beach body.

stop being insecure, people. any person who is fat or obese would kill to be "skinny fat"

Count me out of that category! I would much rather be fat and strong than to be skinny and weak.

I highly doubt it ever comes down to choosing between the two. Someone who never lifted weights in their life does not go from fat and strong to skinny and weak unless they do something extremely stupid or they get sick. Just normal dieting will not result in that.

The more likely scenario is that a fat person at say 45% body fat becomes a thin person at something like 25% body fat and the skinny fat shamers come down on the person. They are overall much more healthy at 25% body fat than at 45% body fat.

When I was 140 pounds, I was not any stronger than I am at 115 pounds, just merely by being fatter. I didn't really lift while losing weight because I had injured myself towards the beginning of dieting. I'm sure that overall, my body fat percentage went down. It always goes down by losing weight if you change nothing else other than diet.

Again, i think you lack the understanding that those people are using it incorrectly.

The term means you are at an acceptable BMI weight vs. Height ratio but you have an OVERWEIGHT or OBESE level of body fat.

That is what the term means.

It has nothing to do with "shaming women for not having muscles". That's stupid and makes no sense. If someone is using it that way than they don't know what the term actually means.

Please please please tell me how I was healthier at a lower weight and 32% (OBESE) body fat than at a higher weight with around 19% body fat.

That isn't what I stated. I'm sure that you lifted a lot in order to get to that 19% body fat. The person said they would rather be fat and strong, rather than thin and weak. You seem to be neither of those. What does "fat and strong" even mean? Seems like a useless description. I know that they are using the term incorrectly. That was what I was trying to say.

You must have missed this earlier, if you don't know what it means to be both fat and strong.

Check the one that says "Strong Fat (bear mode)" on the bottom right.

35mh9fo.jpg

Edit: the picture is too big. You'll have to see it in a new tab or window:
    http://oi53.tinypic.com/35mh9fo.jpg

Oh, I never heard of Ottermode before. I like that terminology.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    I would much rather be fat and strong than to be skinny and weak.

When I thought I could either "diet" (which to my ignorant mind meant eating minimally, and left me feeling like crap) to lose weight to be thinner, or eat what I want and be heavier but feel good and be happy, I stopped dieting.

I'm happy as a pig in poop that there was another option, and that was the closely guarded weight loss secret, "Eat right and exercise." :indifferent:
  • LiftAllThePizzas
    LiftAllThePizzas Posts: 17,857 Member
    Options

Yeah. I don't agree with the premise that expressing a preference amounts to shaming, IMO that's BS. If I say I like one type of music it's not "shaming" anyone who likes other types of music.

But when she expresses that as her own standard, her above comment is total hypocrisy, especially when she even implies that she doesn't look female, which has nothing to do with one's own preference.

ETA: and she did it again. images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQp8fQMLQLfiGe021jwOBCJAW3Er5-qdMlrQ9Mqs5pxtTF3LyxmdQ
  • jennaworksout
    jennaworksout Posts: 1,739 Member
    Options
    I had 29% body fat but had a BMI of 24 when I started. Obese is over 30% body fat. Skinny fat is used to describe someone who looks to be of normal weight but is carrying way too much body fat and not enough lean body mass.

I've lost only 15 pounds, but I've gone from a size 12 jeans down to a size 2.

That is what is meant by skinny fat--normal sized but still dangerously unhealthy.

exactly this ^^^
  • BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    Options
    Having personal preferences is not "body shaming". Insulting a person and saying incorrect things about that person's health or mental state (as an example) that you have no way of knowing just because of some small detail (weight, measurement, clothing size, body type, whatever) is what is meant when people say body shaming. However I think body shaming is a misleading term because it implies that the person being insulted feels shame. I don't personally feel shame when people insult me or my body type or when I see them do that to other people. But, I still find it annoying when people do it. And I am sure there are times when I do it unintentionally, but when I realize that I learn from my mistake. But, with that said, some amount of an ability to feel shame is what keeps people in check to some degree. The only people that are entirely shameless are sociopaths/psychopaths.
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options

...or what about another thread in which a certain person ruthlessly shamed a muscular female who had breast implants? I guess it's ok to shame muscular people, but not skinnyfat people. Got it.

To the OP - "skinny fat", while a term that's often misused, refers to a person who is at a normal weight but has a high bodyfat percentage. As others have said, it certainly does exist outside of MFP, and is referred to clinically as "normal weight obesity".
  • Aviva92
    Options
    ...or what about another thread in which a certain person ruthlessly shamed a muscular female who had breast implants? I guess it's ok to shame muscular people, but not skinnyfat people. Got it.

I said that I don't like breast implants. I did not say anything negative about muscular people. Ruthless is a bit of a stretch. I said she had breast implants and people jumped all over me for it, so I expanded to say that I don't like breast implants that look fake. That was about it. Others were sort of ruthless towards me, yes that's true.
  • LiftAllThePizzas
    Options
    I said that I don't like breast implants. ... I don't like breast implants that look fake.
    DoubleFacepalmRickerPicard.jpg
  • Aviva92
    Options
    disliking breast implants is not body shaming. last i checked, breast implants are bags of saline or silicone which are not part of any body naturally.
  • ktrn0312
    ktrn0312 Posts: 723 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • Bumbeen
    Bumbeen Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    The term you are looking for is "feminine". That *weightlifter*, not powerlifter, does look female, but she most definitely does not look *feminine*.
  • Aviva92
    Options
    The term you are looking for is "feminine". That *weightlifter*, not powerlifter, does look female, but she most definitely does not look *feminine*.

ty. that is correct.
  • LiftAllThePizzas
    Options
    Wow, rope and shovels are not your friends.
  • Jonna13
    Jonna13 Posts: 288 Member
    Options