Negative comments about me lifting weights

Options

Replies

• ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,692 Member
    Options
    Today I talked about starting to weight lift and this is what I got:

'Women who have muscles have ugly bodies, only tone what you have. You don't want to look ugly.'

'You shouldn't look stronger then your husband, you need to look like you compliment him.'

'Make sure you get help, you don't want to make your body horrendous looking. '

Well, you know what? I think a muscular woman is beautiful and I am going to make me the most beautiful me I can. And you want to know what? Since I have started this journey, I now am able to open a jar by myself. I was never able to before hand. Being strong is beautiful. I want to say, all you women with muscles you are beautiful no matter how big or small they are. You are strong and I can't wait to be strong too.
    **** 'em.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness industry for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • frood
    frood Posts: 295 Member
    Options
    'Women who have muscles have ugly bodies, only tone what you have. You don't want to look ugly.'
    It's funny how having more energy, more functional strength, stronger bones, and overall better health can be summarized as being "ugly." :)
  • Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    Options
    I have no idea who you call "friends" but they may need a hand up out of the dark ages and some soap for their mouths. What kind of people say such hurtful things?
    The joys of family. :laugh:

Luckily(?) for me, most of my family are a bunch of nearly sub-human land blobs. While it makes it a bit tougher on me in the genetics department, it makes it very easy for me to take absolutely nothing they say seriously, especially in the fitness department.
  • FloweringPeony
    FloweringPeony Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Women don't go all Arnold from weight training, unless they have a hormone imbalance that causes them to have ridiculously high test levels. They generally need anabolics for that look.

Tell those people to get ****ed and read a book before opening their mouths next time.

This exactly!
  • joneslnb
    joneslnb Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    People are frustrating. Muscle is sexy and you can shape your body how you want. I leg press 500lbs and I can out-lift all but one man in my Body Pump class. I lift weights 6-7 times a week, I lift heavy, and I go to fatigue. That's how I got my size 4! I'm not bragging, I'm just sayin' I'm living proof that women don't get 'bulky' by lifting weights.

So do ya dang thang and show em what's what!
  • Trechechus
    Trechechus Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    'You shouldn't look stronger then your husband, you need to look like you compliment him.'

Tell them you'll buy him a green sweater and wear a red one yourself. Then you'll be compliments of each other.
  • Cp731
    Cp731 Posts: 3,195 Member
    Options
    gftjufut.jpg

Take That:blushing:
  • Gallowmere1984
    Options
    gftjufut.jpg

Take That:blushing:

Immediately came to mind:
    081.jpg
  • missourinurse
    missourinurse Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    lol
  • TakinSexyBack
    TakinSexyBack Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    You really have to consider the source ... these people speak without knowledge. The women who are built like Arnold S. quite frankly have to use hormones to get there.. and even then lack the structure to totally get there... That being said, I FAR prefer a lean and strong looking lady to the anemic, underweight anorexic type. As others have said, lift and lift heavy without fear of bulking too much. Strong IS beautiful... best wishes on your journey and eat plenty of protein.

What he said!!!!!!!! GO GIRL and don't let anyone hold you back!!! Back when I played college basketball and had better biceps than most guys I knew..........they found it totally sexy!!! Strong is GOOD and Im on a quest to get back there too!!!
  • RECowgill
    RECowgill Posts: 881 Member
    Options
    I have no idea who you call "friends" but they may need a hand up out of the dark ages and some soap for their mouths. What kind of people say such hurtful things?
    The joys of family. :laugh:

This is why people shouldn't listen to family. I'm going to be completely blunt and honest about it for a second here... you don't choose your family. They might be giant a**holes. You can't control who they are.

You do choose your friends however. You can decide to surround yourself with supportive good natured people if you want. Family on the other hand is luck of the draw. Some people are just terrible humans, and they may be your relatives. So ignore them, leave them behind if they aren't the kind of good people you need in your life. Nobody should blame you for that. :wink:
  • Lifting_Knitter
    Options
    Thank you to everyone for being so supportive! :smooched: This is how I feel right now!
  • cobes24
    cobes24 Posts: 132 Member
    Options

That's...that's one of the stupidest things I've ever read.

They are dumb.

You are gorgeous!! Keep it up!
  • Gallowmere1984
    Options

That's...that's one of the stupidest things I've ever read.

They are dumb.

You are gorgeous!! Keep it up!

So, what they are really saying is that the husband needs to hit the iron?
  • chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,834 Member
    Options
    how does one "tone what they have" without resistance training?

And if you look stronger than your husband then he should probably lift some stuff too :tongue:
  • nz_deevaa
    nz_deevaa Posts: 12,209 Member
    Options
    how does one "tone what they have" without resistance training?

And if you look stronger than your husband then he should probably lift some stuff too :tongue:

My husband took a photo of me carrying all the groceries (6 bags or something) in one hand and a huge bag of kitty litter on my shoulder and posted it on Facebook with the caption "The benefit of having a wife who lifts serious weights, I only had to unlock the door!"
  • runner2runner
    runner2runner Posts: 1,937 Member
    Options

Well, you know what? I think a muscular woman is beautiful and I am going to make me the most beautiful me I can. And you want to know what? Since I have started this journey, I now am able to open a jar by myself. I was never able to before hand. Being strong is beautiful. I want to say, all you women with muscles you are beautiful no matter how big or small they are. You are strong and I can't wait to be strong too.

I'll bet it's probably guys who told you that nonsense. Kudos to you for not listening those guys who're clearly on some ego trip. Unfortunately some men are intimidated by strong women and hence the negative comments about women who lift weights. I personally find strong women attractive and I'd gladly date one.
  • Chadomaniac
    Chadomaniac Posts: 1,785 Member
    Options

I'll bet it's probably guys who told you that nonsense. Kudos to you for not listening those guys who're clearly on some ego trip. Unfortunately some men are intimidated by strong women and hence the negative comments about women who lift weights. I personally find strong women attractive and I'd gladly date one.

^^ agreed .
  • Fozzi43
    Fozzi43 Posts: 2,984 Member
    Options
    You take no notice..

You will look awesome :wink:
  • spamantha57
    spamantha57 Posts: 674 Member
    Options
    The only reason I can imagine a person putting someone down for doing something positive is because they're bitter they can't do it themselves.