WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR FEBRUARY 2013

Options

Replies

• linddavis
    Options
    Hi! So good to know there are other fabulous fifties out there! I turned 50 in Sept. and
    ran my first Half Marathon @ Disney in January to say "take that 50!!". I did run and
    only walked about 5 minutes so... yes it can be done! Even if you are terribly out of shape
    as I was. I have lost about 15 pounds so far with 15 to go. But the impt. thing is that
    I FEEL so much better . I believe that is a much more accurate gage than my scale.
    I wish everybody here the best, consisitency and discipline are the key! I think we
    are so used to taking care of everybody else it becomes hard to carve out time for ourselves,
    but we must. Put our oxygen mask on first as the Flight attendants always tell us :)
    Have a wonderful weekend!!
  • allisonlane61
    allisonlane61 Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    Good Morning, Afternoon or Evening to this Wonderful Group:

Barbiecat--I also want to thank you for keeping this going. The people here are so motivating and I'm enjoying reading all of the posts.

January's Goals and status:
    (which are kind of longer term, but I did start them in January):
    1. Hire a personal trainer (to help me get into shape for the BSR). DONE.
    2. Begin learning to speak Russian (just because). DONE (hired a tutor).
    3. Drink at least a quart a day of Green Smoothies. DONE .
    4. Maintain my high percentage raw-food diet. (I've always believed our digestive systems were set up for a particular diet, pre-agricultural age, actually, and I try to stick with it for the most part). DONE.

FEBRUARY'S GOALS:
    1. To end the month at or not far from the distance/pace I was running before I got sick (and I actually got sick twice).
    2. To drop a few more pounds. I'm not going to put a number on it. A woman's body does weird things like retains water. I simply want to be a "few pounds" lighter at the end of the month. I lost 7 from 1/10/13-1/31/13. That would be an agreeable amount for the month of February.
    3. To put in one hour a day on my Russian language work.
    4. To faithfully do my personal training routine 3 times a week, start to finish, at home. (Totally separate from the running work.)
    5. Paint for no less than 5 hours each week. This shouldn't have to be a goal. Five hours for an artist is pitiful.

My raw foods and Smoothie routines are pretty down pat. I think they are no longer goals.

Jackie in Cherry Hill outside of Philly
  • Laura80111
    Laura80111 Posts: 958 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: Happy February 1st Vit F's

Jeannie- I know it's hard to let go {{hugs}} to you as you go through the changes that having your son moving out will entail.:drinker: Sometimes that what it takes for them to grow up...being out in the real world.

Barbie- Thank you for keeping us going:flowerforyou:

I really can't remember what goals I set for january (seems to be a theme other's had too:blushing: ) but will get my February goals written down so I will remember them...they are:

Lift weights 3 X week and increase the weight over the course of the month
    Cardio 5 X week 25-30 min each
    Finish reading "Strong Women Stay Thin" and start the program before the end of the month
    Lose one more pound

That looks doable...more small steps.

I have lunch today with Jane H we will once again be meeting at Red Lobster and I have my copy of the menu so I can choose my lunch before I go...I like being prepared it makes it easier to log the food.

Everyone have a great Friday let's make this February the BEST we've ever had.
    Log it ALL Food, Water and Exercise:drinker:

Laura 80111 in Colorado:smile:
  • pkrichar
    pkrichar Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    I didn't participate in January. My February Goals:
    Nutritional Goals
    1. Dairy 3 times a day at least 4 days a week.
    2. Stay within my calorie goal
    3. Log everything daily
    Activity Goals
    1. At least 10,000 steps daily
    Exercise Goals
    1. 30 Minutes walking at least five days a week.
    2. C25K 3x/week
    3. Interval training with JM 3x/week
    Pam from WI
  • I've been eating properly but I've gained a pound and a bit so I am now 200 pounds. I thought I had seen the last of the "200's" forever. Soooooooo discouraging!!!

A mini goal is to juice one meal a day.

Janice
    Sudbury, Ontario

PS... I love reading all of your posts... I don't feel so alone.
  • LucyT4dieting
    LucyT4dieting Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    Good morning and TGIF to all!

The weather here has been crazy! Snow squalls, extreme wind and back to COLD again! :noway: I am itching for spring and was happy to hear our pastor say that Lent starts in less than two weeks, so I know spring will be here soon....I can't wait because I am sleeping with more and more microwave things to keep me warm. I have added the microwave slippers I got for Christmas to keep my feet warm. It's not a pretty picture, but it sure feels good.:laugh:

:smile: Karen - Attitude is everything. If you keep a positive one, half of the battle is won!

:smooched: Robin - Sending positive thoughts your way and hoping for a better day today.

:flowerforyou: M - You are fearless! Please send some of that my way!

:mad: Linda - I believe that things always seem better in warmer weather. There is something to that SADD thing.

:happy: Jodi - Welcome and keep coming back. Lots of times it just takes a little longer for the scale to start moving, but it WILL move!

:wink: Barbie - Thanks for the maintenance advice. I am on maintenance too, and experimenting to find out what works best for me.

:mad: Michelle - The weather seems to be crazy all over lately!

:flowerforyou: Mouth - Congrats on your new grandbaby!!! I always say that if I knew grandkids would be so much fun, I'd have had them first!

I am off today, but want to get started on house work. Tomorrow is our 4 year anniversary:heart: and we are going out to dinner, and Sunday we are going to the Home Show and then having family over for Super Bowl, so we have a busy weekend scheduled.

Have a wonderful weekend, and keep warm....

Hugs,
    Lucy in Delaware:bigsmile:
  • allisonlane61
    allisonlane61 Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    Laura80111 reminded me of something that some of us may find useful (when she mentioned the Red Lobster menu and prechoosing food):

Carrabbas posts their complete menu and nutritional values online in a PDF document. Every item they have is separate, and not only calories/fat/carb/protein, but other nutritional information. It is a fantastic document, and I do like Carrabbas food. I went there last night, took my PDF document, scanned right down the FAT GRAMS column (calories were my second pick, and then protein was 3rd), and had a scrumptious dinner well within my eating plan.

Jackie in Cherry Hill outside of Philly
  • LucyT4dieting
    LucyT4dieting Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    OK...I'm a little slow on the uptake. I posted on the last thread and then realized there is a whole new one for February, so I copied the post above to this one.:huh:

GOALS FOR FEBRUARY.....

1. I do not want to spend every day beating myself up for every tiny slip I make, so my first goal is always not to sweat the small stuff and accept that I am human and will occasionally make mistakes.

2. Be honest and consistent with logging my foods.

3. Try to add a new form of exercise.

4. Enjoy life.

There....that's it. If I can attain these goals, I think I'll be doing OK.:happy:

Think positive thoughts! Today is the first day of the rest of your lives!!!

Lucy in Delaware :bigsmile:
  • barbaraaloska
    barbaraaloska Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Good Morning Lovely ladies!!

Thank you Barbie for the Feb Thread!:happy:

Off to the Doctor this morning for my first annual "Wellness Exam" under Medicare.....

Just joined in this past week so no goals listed for January

Goals for Feb:
    Get on Airdyne every day that I am physically able for heart health:heart:
    Drink 6 to 8 glasses of water each day:drinker:
    Log my food...every bite!!:grumble:
    Remove 8 lbs of fat from my frame......:bigsmile:

QUICK NOTE>>>>>Just got on the scale..down ONE LB this week!!! YEAH!!!:smokin:
    Barbara Ann In Sunny Sequim, Wa :wink:
  • linddavis
    Options
    Forgot to add my Feb. Goals:
    *exercise 6 days a week
    *more veg, less carbs/starch
    *stay off scale!!
    *keep accurate food log

Cheers!

LInda/IL
  • jodios528
    jodios528 Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    I love this group - so glad I found you yesterday. Here are my February goals:

:smile: Keep working out hard
    :smile: don't be so hard on myself if the scale isn't moving - just stick with the program..at some point the numbers are bound to start moving down
    :smile: give myself kudos for the changes I'm seeing in my body - I am becoming a healthier me
    :smile: keep track of everything I'm eating and complete my diary everyday
    :smile: drink more water and green tea

Have a great day and thanks again for the warm and supportive welcome to your group :heart:
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    Renny, I love this quote and I’m going to adopt it. Thanks.:heart:

“Love yourself—accept yourself—forgive yourself—and be good to yourself, because without you the rest of us are without a source of many wonderful things.” Leo F. Buscaglia

DeeDee: “Barbie Thank you for keeping this thread going ! I so appreciate this great group of women! It`s nice to come in here and get a big dose of Vit. F every morning!”

I couldn’t agree with you more! Barbie does us all a giant favor and I appreciate her soooo much.:flowerforyou: :heart: :flowerforyou: :heart:

Lentigirl: What is hooping?:huh:

Liz: I love the idea of grateful lists at bedtime. :heart: Thanks for sharing.:bigsmile:

wants2cruise: Welcome to a wonderful group of women. You surely have ambitious goals. Good luck.:smile:

Jam0525: Welcome back. I wish you good luck with your son. We had some challenges with our son, too. He’s made himself into a wonderful man. We are so proud of him now. I hope you get good long-term results, too. Hang in there.:flowerforyou:

My goals are basic. Log my food and exercise, and move as much as I can. It has been working well. My knee is getting stronger and my clothes smaller. It would be hard to keep up my morale without all of your support and I'm grateful to know you.:heart::flowerforyou: :heart: :flowerforyou: :heart: :flowerforyou: :heart: :flowerforyou:

Katla in NW Oregon
  • junekaatz
    junekaatz Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    bump♥♥
  • jb_2011
    jb_2011 Posts: 1,029 Member
    Options
    Fantastic Friday February First!

I'm thrilled this morning as I noticed how light it was at 7:30! :happy: :happy: :happy: Now I'll be able to get myself ready early on weekdays and go to the track at the nearby high school, something I don't do at all during the dark days of winter. I need to be down there by 7:15 in order to spend 45 minutes on the track and get back to the house before students start arriving. Soooooo happy the days are getting longer!

Goal for Feb: To break this 6-month-long plateau :grumble: and get myself another step closer to 70 lbs lost. I truly think it's the exercise that's going to do the trick. Working up a sweat on a daily basis, you know, fast walking/jogging, aerobics, that sort of thing. Doing Yoga & strength work is important, too, oh yes is it ever. I'll have to allow 45 min for cardio, and 30 for stretching and strength. Daily.

There it is, in black and white. I've written it out, my promise, my goal....and yet here I sit, reading it over and over, wondering if I can actually pull it off. Trying to swallow the pill, gulp! It's a big one and somehow got stuck in my craw. :laugh:

Ok Fine. Going to rethink this. 30 minutes cardio, 30 minutes stretch/strength might be more realistic since I spend an hour walking dogs every day on top of working, cooking, cleaning, messing around on the puter. Aha! Messing around on the puter. Ahem. :blushing:

:flowerforyou: Keep those smiles, keep those potassium levels up up up! More greens, more beans, more winter squash.

It's a great day!
    :smile: jb in Portland
  • wessecg
    wessecg Posts: 410 Member
    Options
    I have a goal.

No eating anything at work that I did not bring or pay for.

That's it. It seems to be the main thing bumping my calories.
  • PositivePower
    PositivePower Posts: 976 Member
    Options
    Yippee it Friday!!!! Stressed out yesterday with all this new job stuff... now I am in the background check fill out lots of papers and have to wait till everything clears before I can give my notice stage!!!! Anyone interviewing for a big company you can't tell white lies anymore to get more money etc!!! I told a white lie about having an AA in maketing, I am a couple class short from 30 years ago!! Now I am all worried I will get called out for that one!!! (I hope I don't lose the job because of it!!!:noway: ) Also I had a friend ask..you did tell them you make more than you really do right?? I said NO I am too honest!! Well THANK GOD...they asked me to send them a copy of my last pay stub.... I had to have some wine last night :drinker:

I am commenting on the last thread..then I got here and saw two pages!!! OMG...I will have to catch up with that later :bigsmile:

MTGWW ~ 5# That's AWESOME! Remember this is a life style before you know it it will be 10# then 20#!! One day at a time
    Lucy ~ :bigsmile: So happy you told you DH and WHAT $45????!!!! That's almost free in the car repair world!
    Allison ~ Thanks for sharing the smoothie info
    Robin ~ Hang in there!! Good luck I know you will find a better place to work with "NO CLOAK REQUIRED!!" :flowerforyou:
    M ~ You are cracking me up! Congrats on the new gym! Invite your DH to join you to work out hie outrage :laugh: You should add a TRX to the gym! Thanks for sharing your weight loss story! I am doing the workout part..its time to really start counting and wine is another issue :blushing: I do make good choices alot of the time.
    Michele ~ Deep end swim...duh...I didnt even think of that! Sounds like a good work out!

Well I have to get to the gym..then I am going to get some work done...then hello weekend!!! I will also try to catch up with the Feb tread! Thanks Barbie :flowerforyou:

Have a GREAT day ~ Judy from So cal....yes weird weather it was 75 yesterday!!!! :glasses:
  • mwheatcraft54
    mwheatcraft54 Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    bump
  • 4thoseiluv
    4thoseiluv Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    *bump*
  • lentigogirl
    lentigogirl Posts: 299 Member
    Options

Lentigirl: What is hooping?:huh:

Katla in NW Oregon

hula hoop! My son gave me a weighted hoop for Christmas and I'm trying to add it to my exercise regimen. It's supposed to be great core training. I hit my January hooping goal -- but only by cutting the original goal in half after realizing it wasn't realistic!

I'm very excited that my husband has started exercising, but he just told me that this morning he broke our elliptical. He ordered the parts to fix it ($200!) but that's going to throw off my routine a bit. More time for hoops!

Hope
  • megblair1
    megblair1 Posts: 1,218 Member
    Options
    Hi my wonderful vitamin F friends!!!!! I can't believe I haven't been here in 2 days????? Last night I was feeling out of sorts, so I went to bed at 5 and didn't get up for dinner. Everything sounded yucky. today I am exhausted. I can hardly keep my eyes open. I feel fat and discouraged (although my clothes fit the same and I can still wear my watch). Sorry I'm kind of a downer today.

I've read all the posts and have enjoyed reading about everyone's nails. This time I did a pretty pink that fades to lighter at the tip.

I'm going to have another challenging weekend. We are going out tonight to a bar and grill kind of place with few healthy options. tomorrow we have company, but i'm making a healthy vegetarian meal, so that will be ok. Sunday is superbowl sunday, so I will just have to try to limit my indulging. I planned out my exercise during the week and am doing more, so that should help offset it.

Goals for February: I'm at a loss. I guess just keep trying to meet my standing goals. I really want to lose this 9 pounds.

Well i am sorry I am not replying to everyone personally this time. No energy right now, plus i have a couple of meetings to get to. Take care, Meg