February Cycling Challenge

Options
Welcome! It's that time again; time to start a new cycling thread! This thread is for anyone who is pushing a pedal, a bike pedal that is. We come from all walks of life, all fitness abilities. Some are avid cyclists who put up the most amazing numbers. Some are just starting out. We have commuters, we have spinners, and we have Moms dragging trailers. We even have a poster who does very little other than start the thread each month.:blushing: Whoever you are and whatever you're doing, we’d love to have you along.

Please feel free to post whatever motivates you. Some post miles, others post time. I post on the abysmal weather conditions that have kept me off the road. Whatever gets you moving, come along!

Replies

• Maggie_Pie1
    Maggie_Pie1 Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    I'm new to this thread, but I do cycle a lot so maybe I'll participate more. I'm doing a metric century tomorrow (62 miles) and I have training rides every weekend getting ready for the BP MS150 from Houston to Austin in April. I hope to rack up at least 100 miles every weekend on average, sometimes more.
  • jimmie65
    jimmie65 Posts: 655 Member
    Options
    I'm in. I have been horrible about cycling since the cold weather rolled in. I'd like to commute via bike at least twice a week/
  • baldzach
    baldzach Posts: 1,841 Member
    Options
    I'm in! (and always interested in more cyclist friends, so feel free to add!)
  • myfitnesslife75
    myfitnesslife75 Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    I have a stationary bike about 10ft away. I'm up for a cycle challenge this month!
  • susanp57
    susanp57 Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    Thanks! I'm in. I'm a cold weather wienie so most of my miles will be trainer ones. My first ones will be tomorrow (Sat.) since Friday is a rest/run errands day.
  • KarCrib
    KarCrib Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    I would love to join this thread! Right now because it is -30 I am on my trainer at home. So, I would post lengths of time, once the spring hits I will be able to post distances.

Thanks for having me!

Karrie
  • jw17695
    jw17695 Posts: 438 Member
    Options
    I would like to join. I only have a little mountain bike so I don't usually go super far (but at least I can go somewhere right? :wink: )
  • jenj1313
    jenj1313 Posts: 898 Member
    Options
    I'm in!
    I'll post by time since I split my time between road/road, road/trainer and mountain bike!
    Also... any cycling friends out there (especially mountain bikers), feel free to add me :-)
  • clhardy5
    clhardy5 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    I'm in. I live in Chilly Colorado, but I have my bike up on the trainer and try to get on it for about an hour every other day!!!

Ride on!!

Carrie
  • Wooken3
    Wooken3 Posts: 634 Member
    Options
    First ride for February!!

Feb 1: 12.4 miles
    Feb Total: 12.4
    Feb Goal: 250
    % of Total: 5

ibike_illustration.jpg
  • maxroadrash
    maxroadrash Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    I'm in
  • susanp57
    Options
    I like your name.
  • jehavin
    jehavin Posts: 316 Member
    Options
    Excited to join this thread as I have been on MFP for a year but just started participating in the boards about a month ago.

I began cycling in July 2011 to help rehab/break up scar tissue after a knee surgery, just my Nordic Trac in my living room for 20 min a couple times a week and fell in love. I've done spin classes (which kicked my butt !) but when I got pregnant with my 5th kiddo (6 months ago) I decided to dial it down to just doing recumbent bike in the gym three times a week.

I haven't always reached that goal since I've had a rough pregnancy with bleeding issues and am now taking weekly shots to prevent preterm labor, but my dr. thinks that the biking is a positive thing for me to continue up until the end. My goal for the past month has been to hit 30 miles a week (for me, that's three 45 minute rides) in addition to the weightlifting and yoga that I do. Last week, I actually hit 40---something that I haven't been able to do since August. This week, I will probably hit about 35, which is still above my goal. My cycling routine consists of a warmup and then five to seven five-minute-intervals of high mph light resistance alternated with mod mph heavy resistance.

Glad to be in a group/thread of people who love to pedal as much as I do---I consider myself as having a runner's heart but in a cyclist's body!
  • EweCreekCottage
    EweCreekCottage Posts: 324 Member
    Options
    Excited to join this thread as I have been on MFP for a year but just started participating in the boards about a month ago.

I began cycling in July 2011 to help rehab/break up scar tissue after a knee surgery, just my Nordic Trac in my living room for 20 min a couple times a week and fell in love. I've done spin classes (which kicked my butt !) but when I got pregnant with my 5th kiddo (6 months ago) I decided to dial it down to just doing recumbent bike in the gym three times a week.

I haven't always reached that goal since I've had a rough pregnancy with bleeding issues and am now taking weekly shots to prevent preterm labor, but my dr. thinks that the biking is a positive thing for me to continue up until the end. My goal for the past month has been to hit 30 miles a week (for me, that's three 45 minute rides) in addition to the weightlifting and yoga that I do. Last week, I actually hit 40---something that I haven't been able to do since August. This week, I will probably hit about 35, which is still above my goal. My cycling routine consists of a warmup and then five to seven five-minute-intervals of high mph light resistance alternated with mod mph heavy resistance.

Glad to be in a group/thread of people who love to pedal as much as I do---I consider myself as having a runner's heart but in a cyclist's body!
    U r my new heroine welcome to the group and kuddos for keeping Fit even throuigh a worriesome pregnancy
  • EweCreekCottage
    EweCreekCottage Posts: 324 Member
    Options
    I am in for 175 crazy maybe but the weather looks good for the month I am getting a new gel seat and new grips and I am taking it to the speedway and out of the neighborhood so that should help me progress to the next level. Here is what I ave done since getting on my Purple People Eater for the first time in Oct @349 lbs

30.87 miles before MFP
    total for Oct 40.4 m
    total for Nov 106.25
    total for Dec 100.48
    total for Jan 108 .4

February Goal 175. Feb starting weight 325.2
    FEB 1, 2013. 4.05 miles. 37.36 minutes. Recovery ride ( did 15.05 m yesterday)
  • jehavin
    jehavin Posts: 316 Member
    Options

U r my new heroine welcome to the group and kuddos for keeping Fit even throuigh a worriesome pregnancy

Thanks! Due to my knee, I don't really have a choice---I have to keep it limber/loose/strong but I DO love biking and consider it a blessing that I was "forced" into it and am able to still get that "biker's high" all 9 months, although sometimes at a slower pace than others. I'm looking forward to after the baby is born in May to having improved weather/stability and being able to bike outside, too!

For now, though, I'm hoping to get in about 120 miles this month! Looking forward to hearing how others do this month, too! (When you tell non-exercisers that you're going to do 30 miles a week, they look at you like it's either nothing or that you're planning to rocket to the moon---nice to have people to realistically cheer you on!) =)
  • susanp57
    Options
    First ride report. Trainer.

ride: 19.68 miles
    Goal: 200
    % of goal: 10

Note: I wore my first ever bib shorts today. After all these years!
  • myfitnesslife75
    myfitnesslife75 Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    My first day of the cycling challenge. Half hour. Not sure of mileage or speed because the thing is kaput. My husband was my Jillian. When I slowed down even a little, he'd say PEDAL, PEDAL, PEDAL! Just like Jillian does on Biggest Loser! Maybe I should call him Bob.... not Jillian... LOL..
  • maxroadrash
    maxroadrash Posts: 45 Member
    Options

You better up your goal or you're gonna get bored quick!
  • susanp57
    Options

You better up your goal or you're gonna get bored quick!

True. I've spent a fair amount of time on the stairmaster before I put the bike on the trainer. It was more effective than I thought.