dudes that cook?

Options

Replies

• whierd
    whierd Posts: 14,025 Member
    Options
    I'm one hell of a good cook. Pretty sure I snagged my wife with my cooking skills. And can bake the *kitten* out of a loaf of bread

Ok I need recipes... Bread baking is probably my weakest thing in the kitchen.

Ask me about it later, I can give you the science behind it.

I think I either over kneed or under kneed.... It always tastes good but the texture just isn't what I want.

You can't over knead it really. I'll tell you about gluten proteins and stuff when I haven't been drinking though. :laugh:
  • djames92
    djames92 Posts: 990 Member
    Options
    Nicetomeetyoudoyoulikeredheadsplzmarryme!
    woahh now we should at least have dinner first

True. I should test your skills before committing. ;)
    oh so i gotta pass a test? eh i aint scarred :)

Trial #1: Creme Brulee.
    uhh thats just dessert we need a meal first :)

Why can't dessert BE the meal?
    well if thats the meal then whats for dessert ;)
  • AggieLu
    AggieLu Posts: 873 Member
    Options
    Not at all, that's awesome. What's your specialty?
  • CherokeeBabe
    CherokeeBabe Posts: 1,704 Member
    Options

That's what I'm there for :wink: :laugh:
  • djames92
    Options
    my specialty is definitely desserts. the best ive made so far were snickerdoodle bars. soooo good! made them for my family for christmas and as far as an actual meal goes id have to say the beef in spinach peanut butter sauce (dont knock it till you try it) :)
  • djames92
    Options

That's what I'm there for :wink: :laugh:
    :wink:
  • triciab79
    triciab79 Posts: 1,713 Member
    Options
    my specialty is definitely desserts. the best ive made so far were snickerdoodle bars. soooo good! made them for my family for christmas and as far as an actual meal goes id have to say the beef in spinach peanut butter sauce (dont knock it till you try it) :)

Recipes or it didn't happen
  • AlongCame_Molly
    AlongCame_Molly Posts: 2,835 Member
    Options
    Nope! My husband LOVES to cook, and is going to culinary school to be a chef. I never have to cook dinner, it's awesome! He leaves the baking to me, though. He doesn't really like doing it. :)
  • AlongCame_Molly
    Options
    I'm one hell of a good cook. Pretty sure I snagged my wife with my cooking skills. And can bake the *kitten* out of a loaf of bread

I think I either over kneed or under kneed.... It always tastes good but the texture just isn't what I want.

Pretty sure you're under-kneading, then. It's REALLY hard to over-knead bread dough. Ask me how I know. :/

ETA: Other tips that I found super-useful, since you're having trouble with the texture: Make sure the water you dissolve the yeast in is just right. Too cold it will take too long to flower, and too hot will kill it. Also, don't put the salt right in over the yeast, it will also kill it. And I find adding a little gluten to a loaf gives it a really nice store-bought springy texture. :)
  • dave4d
    dave4d Posts: 1,155 Member
    Options
    I don't really like to cook, but since I'm the one tracking my calories, I find it is easier to track my calories if I cook my own food.
  • whierd
    Options

Pretty sure you're under-kneading, then. It's REALLY hard to over-knead bread dough. Ask me how I know. :/

Also, when in doubt, Bread Machine.
  • LuckyAng
    LuckyAng Posts: 1,173 Member
    Options
    All the men in my family cook, and are amazing at it! They all have very happy wives :)
  • jha1223
    jha1223 Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    Learned how to cook at a young age. My mom, love her as I do, was not the greatest cook. I learned and it really helps to be able to eat right AND make some tasty food.

When I was younger and single, it was great to be able to have a second date at my place and eat something that looked and tasted good.

My wife couldn't cook mac n cheese when we met. She is pretty darn good at whipping up some tasty foods now.

The biggest compliment I have ever been paid was when we had my mother in law's 65th bday party. Asked her what she wanted for her bday and she told me she wanted me to smoke a few briskets and ribs for the party. That was it.
  • triciab79
    triciab79 Posts: 1,713 Member
    Options

I have one but it seems like cheating. :wink:
  • EdwarddeVere
    Options
    I like long walks on the beach... Does that make me weird?
  • whierd
    Options
    I use it when I'm feeling lazy. :tongue:
  • extraordinary_machine
    extraordinary_machine Posts: 3,028 Member
    Options
    I totally gave it up to a dude in college after two dates because for date number 2...he cooked for me. :laugh:

Take from that what you will.
  • djames92
    Options

Recipes or it didn't happen
    i found the recipe for the snickerdoodle bars online so i can give you that one but the beef in spinach peanutbutter sauce. thats all mine :)
  • mmddwechanged
    mmddwechanged Posts: 1,687 Member
    Options
    My husband is an awesome cook. I'm a very lucky lady:)
  • AlongCame_Molly
    Options

Molly is poor and is forced to do it the old fashioned way. :/ One day, though...