How are people burning such high calories

Options

Replies

• Foulou
    Foulou Posts: 14
    Options
    I do lots of cardio and and drills on heavy bags for about 1hr 1/2. HRM shows I burn about 1150, but I'm also around 250 pounds and heart rate gets up to 190 at least.

I accidentally had my wife's settings on the HRM one day, and it only showed i burned 770 for the same time. So I'm guessing it just has to do with mainly your sex, size, and age.
  • Monica_has_a_goal
    Monica_has_a_goal Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    irrelevant. who cares?

questions you should be asking yourself are things like "what sort of exercise regimen can I commit to doing regularly?", "how should i structure my diet in a way that will keep me satiated?", "what are my fitness goals?"

Great post!!
  • robindel1
    robindel1 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Interval training is one way. As long as you are in good health you can go to your max for short bursts 20-30 sec followed by 20-30 sec rest. Most people can only do this type of activity for 15-20 min. You have to be well conditioned to keep this activity up for an hour. Weight also plays a role in how many calories you burn
  • contingencyplan
    contingencyplan Posts: 3,639 Member
    Options
    Screw heart rate recommendations. And circuit training, sprinting, rowing and high intensity strength training are all easy ways to burn that much.
  • Shock_Wave
    Shock_Wave Posts: 1,573 Member
    Options
    Could be excellent conditioning or high intensity work outs or even weight factor.. So many things
  • Machafin
    Machafin Posts: 2,988 Member
    Options
    HIIT high intensity interval training is about the only thing that has proven to burn up to 1000 calories per hour. A lot of that comes from your lungs even after the exercise has been completed.
  • vb4evr
    vb4evr Posts: 615 Member
    Options
    Short answer is so many factors go into how people can hit those numbers. Is the number 100% correct. Of course not. All just based off of a calculation. With a HRM it is more accurate as it should be setup with you height weight etc.

I regularly burn approx 800-1000 per session playing competitive volleyball, or really hard cycling (spin class, bike training). Don't really care about the calorie burn in essence more about the HRM information I get so I can compare my performance to see if I am getting more efficient, or how hard I actually did work.

I am a pretty big guy at 6'4 - 225.
  • karendee4
    karendee4 Posts: 558 Member
    Options
    They're not staying within heart rate recommendations if they are actually burning that. Hell, my heart rate generally sits around 190+ when I am going hard.

Me too! I go way over that. I stay around 170 and when I go harder closer to 190.
  • majope
    majope Posts: 1,325 Member
    Options
    I will throw in some of my data for variation based on weight and fitness level--two runs, 4 years apart:

February 2009--ran (had to walk some) 7.0 miles, burned 1216 calories. Weight: 192. HR: ave. 176, max 181

February 2013--ran 7.6 miles (no walking), burned 690 calories. Weight: 163. HR: ave. 143, max 157

So I went nearly 10% further a few days ago but burned 526 fewer calories than I did when I was heavier and in worse shape. That's not in an hour, but I think it's a good illustration of different calorie burn.
  • julesxo
    julesxo Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    I just got a heart rate monitor a couple of weeks ago.

the charts say my 80% should be 140, and my target range 140-156, max (100%) 175.

when I run I have been having to do intervals to keep it below 165, and still in 35 min I only burn 350 calories. swimming is much the same.

So my question is how are people burning 1,000 calories in an hour, without going over heart rate recommendations, an I missing something?

What charts? 156 is not very high to me. I always am over that number. I do high intensity work outs as well. Very effective.
  • angmarie28
    angmarie28 Posts: 2,812 Member
    Options
    They're not staying within heart rate recommendations if they are actually burning that. Hell, my heart rate generally sits around 190+ when I am going hard.
    same here, mine sits at about 185 when im working hard
  • SRH7
    SRH7 Posts: 2,037 Member
    Options
    I suspect they are using the inflated numbers given by MFP.

This. The figures MFP gives are double my actual burn as per my HRM.

There again, I can easily burn 3,000 in a session as I climb mountains at the weekends :wink:
  • majikmiker
    majikmiker Posts: 291 Member
    Options
    Definately the weight. When I was 400 pounds I could do walking intervals on the treadmill and burn a 1000 calories in a hour. Now at 280 I'm hitting about 750 - 850 calories in an hour, depending on my intervals.
  • NovemberJune
    NovemberJune Posts: 2,525 Member
    Options
    I usually burn less than 1 cal per minute during intense exercise, but I know I used to burn more than 1 cal per minute when I weighed more. Also, I don't let my HRM tell me how intensely I should be exercising. I use my common sense for that. Where are you getting your HR recommendations? My HR hits the 180s during high intensity intervals, and sits in the 160s during steady state cardio. Of course age, weight, gender, etc will affect what your HR "should" be.
  • fatfrost
    fatfrost Posts: 365 Member
    Options
    I go over the recommendations. What's the worst that can happen?
  • musycnlyrics
    musycnlyrics Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    I calculate my cals burned by how intense my workout is, adjusted for my weight (im over 280lbs) and length of time. For me, working out for a little over an hour doing an intense workout will burn 1000 cals...a moderate intensity will burn 600-800 cals in an hour, low intensity burns less. As I lose weight, my number of calories burned per workout are less, so I try to increase intensity every few weeks to avoid a plateau.
    I find that using different websites (MFP, sparkpeople, Noom weightloss) and averaging the cals burned helps. (they cant ALL be wrong, right?)
  • motherofthree1974
    Options
    Yesterday alone i went to the gym and just the treadmill alone for only 25 minutes i lost 200 calories and on the cycling machine 28 minutes i lost 112 calories, I mean they say if you loose 600 calories each day you will loose the weight.
    On Monday i weight 175 pounds and this morning no lie i took my early weight and it said 171 pounds. And that is just with the Gym, 30 day shred level 1, and watching my calories, oh sorry and I also started Herbal Life.
  • ghdsmais
    ghdsmais Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Good point here. Now that I am back to running and have logged a few miles under my belt, my calories per hr has dropped slowly.

As for the max heart rate, with myself being 48, my max HR should be 172, which I go over all the time. (220-age=Max HR)
    Just my opinion
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options
    I'm just gonna go out on a limb here and say

1.)they are obese
    2.) they are extremely out of shape
    3.) their calculation is WRONG